First time Idaho bowhunt

We've always killed our elk the last week of the season in that unit lol. That first week doesn't git r done. Usually hot and crowded because of labor day. You can give it a whirl this year and let us know .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dude I know that. This was to keep the people out during the peak. C'mon man. Im even pushing my hunt back a week from what I did last year. Youre not helping here

sneaky

"DADDY"
Dude I know that. This was to keep the people out during the peak. C'mon man. Im even pushing my hunt back a week from what I did last year. Youre not helping here
Those were always last ditch efforts, everyone knows the second week is the BEST week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nkramer6

FNG
I hunted Idaho for the first time last year, and have since moved out here, 6 months later.

One of the best resources I found was the hunt planner and map center on the IDFG website. You can turn on layers that show jeep trails/ATV trails/foot only trails. That should give you a good idea of where there will be less pressure. https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/mapcenter/

Also, to get an idea of trail conditions, use the AllTrails app. People post recent trips/pics and it has a great breakdown of elevation changes. This place is brutal on the quads, so get in shape.

mwebs

WKR
I have been a long time lurker on this forum and have lived in/ hunted Idaho for the last 6 years, nothing irks me more than seeing the unit I hunt specifically mentioned on here. But the deed is already done so I will throw in my 2 cents, if you hunt the Lemhi unit, near Leadore you will run into guys from all 50 states, bugling every ridge that is somewhat accessible by ATV even though its a non-motorized zone, I know other zones are similar.. Just saying! Backpacking in does not help and I swear I am not posting this so people don't hunt there ;).

BHakeneis

FNG
Now im not sure if I want to ask that same question anymore. I am planning my fist Elk hunt for 2020 and hunting regs and rules are way different out there than they are round here.

SWOHTR

WKR
Not too hard.
1. What do you want to hunt? Bull, cow, spike?
2. Find game units that allow that.
3. Make sure game units have access to public land.
4. Buy tag, go hunt.

It really is about that easy for Idaho. Don’t concern yourself with trophy potential so much...just go do it.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
One thing none of you guys have even said or thought about.
WILD LAND FIRES!
They are real and always happen every year and can totally erase a unit in August in Sept.

SWOHTR

WKR
One thing none of you guys have even said or thought about.
WILD LAND FIRES!
They are real and always happen every year and can totally erase a unit in August in Sept.
True, definitely a factor to consider. Also consider you might not necessarily have to buy your tag months in advance...so you could check unit conditions a few days prior to going, then buy the tag.