Fish Cooking in the Backcountry

Hello everyone.

I`m going to be doing some spring elk scouting/training with the wife this spring. To keep it interesting we are wanting to try our hand at some high lake fishing.

If we get lucky what is the best stove/pan combo? My hunting/camping gear is pretty dialed in but only have a jetboil flash at this time. Figuring I will need a new setup to cook the fish. Would enjoy hearing what works for you. Thanks.

Tod osier

WKR
If we are planning on fish, I always bring a cheap medium sized aluminum nonstick. Obviously it has to be compatible with your stove and you need to be able to adjust your heat down so it doesn't scorch. If cooking for a family, I use a whisperlite and the aluminum pan. I always pack a stick of butter in a vacuum sealed pouch so it can be extruded into the pan and pre-make some flour, salt and pepper in a ziplock to roll the fish around in.

King Salmon on an AK backcountry float...
g9QcROZ.jpg

Wind River alpine Brook Trout...
tYZubZv.jpg

Last edited:

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Trout: Gut, salt and lemon pepper, add a little powdered onion and/or cayanne if you like.
Impale on forked green stick and cook over coals or a small, low fire. A little smoke seems to add something good to flavor. If the sticks catch fire you've cooked them way to long.

As previously mentioned, the same ingrediants, wrapped in foil and tossed in the coals works too.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
trout on a stick over the fire is pretty damn tasty after a few nights of freeze dried, tenderloin is better tho

OP
E
All great input. Thank you.

I`m going to look into a new stove that has temp control and a coated aluminum pan.

rob86jeep

WKR
Wrapped in aluminum foil and placed in camp fire coals is always amazing after a few days of freeze dried food. You can bring a little olive oil and some salt/pepper if you want to make it even better.

OP
E
I will definitely be packing in some olive oil, butter and a little spice. I`m not hitting the gym every day just for fun. LOL :cool:

Lemon pepper, onions,wrap in aluminum foil and set in coal always tastes good with cold water trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trout: Gut, salt and lemon pepper, add a little powdered onion and/or cayanne if you like.
Impale on forked green stick and cook over coals or a small, low fire. A little smoke seems to add something good to flavor. If the sticks catch fire you've cooked them way to long.

As previously mentioned, the same ingrediants, wrapped in foil and tossed in the coals works too.
This guy gets it. This is all you need.

I will definitely be packing in some olive oil, butter and a little spice. I`m not hitting the gym every day just for fun. LOL :cool:

There is excellent quality powdered butter available now. Also cheddar cheese, and even organic cream for your coffee. No weight and easy to carry without worry of a wet or oily spills in your pack.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re cooking trout, don’t worry about the new stove and fry pan. The trout will taste better poached in it’s own juices in foil, or just skewered on a stick over a bed of coals.

The way I cook trout in the backcountry is directly in the flames. Gut the fish, set aside. Build the hottest little coal bed possible, and gather two fist sized bundles of pencil thick twigs. Put the trout on the coals and place the first set of twigs right over it. As soon as the twigs burn off, flip the fish with a stick and add the second set of twigs. You’re looking for 2 minutes of burn time per bundle.

Fish is done when the fins pull out easily. Skin from the tail forward, it’ll peel right off. Salt and pepper to taste.674C08F3-5449-4932-B0C4-7C0D9E10F5CF.jpeg73A95472-9105-48EE-88AD-AEAE81BC9E9B.jpeg1DAEA6D4-3296-4DE6-B994-E6562C9BF5A1.jpeg