Fixed Blade Knife Recommendation

JMo25

FNG
I am looking to get a new hunting knife this year. I’d like a fixed blade, preferably with a gut hook but not required. Looking for some recommendations from you all! Whitetail are the largest game I hunt

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Benchmade Steep Country. Holds an edge really well and fits my hand nicely.

D S 319

WKR

Really like mine.

Another vote for Montana Knife Company. Stupid sharp and easy to resharpen

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Benchmade for me. I have several and they are awesome. I just send a handful back for their free sharpening service every year after hunting season. I haven’t sharpened a knife in several years.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Can't go wrong with Benchmade. Might also give CRKT CO. a look. they have a wide selection.

I have a Bark River...don't recall the exact model, but I love that damn thing. All their blades are nice
Yeah they make some good stuff.

I have the Aurora in CPM 3V and it works great as an all-arounder, but as a pure hunting knife, I’d go with something from their Fox River or Gunny Hunter series with the lightweight or featherweight blade stock option in 3V, Elmax or Magnacut (when it becomes available).

1659102726098.jpeg

1659103013600.jpeg

Fällkniven has some great choices too (F1, H1, PHK…), and people also seem to love the Spyderco South Fork as a purpose-built hunting knife in a high-grade steel.

ODB

WKR

Really like mine.

Never heard of these. But interesting that they are using carbon and not stainless steel. Good on them. In the search for “maintenance free” blades knives have gotten damn hard to maintain…if you get my drift…

@ODB

It depends.

Advances in steelmaking such as powder metallurgy mean that extremely-stainless steels now exist that significantly outperform older carbon steels, even ones like D2 that were near the top of the heap a generation ago.

Steels have come a long way; you can now get great toughness, edge retention and corrosion resistance in the same alloy. You can also max out on one of the properties with steels such as 3V (toughness), Maxamet (edge retention) and LC200N (corrosion resistance).

NDGuy

WKR
Benchmade Steep Country if under $100

For a custom checkout Gene Ingram, Charles May, or Semper Sharp

CORam

FNG
My favorite all-around knife is my ESEE-4. I feel it's the perfect size to use as a survival knife that also doubles as a good hunting knife. Works great for batoning too. It is the one knife that goes on all adventures with me. Plus ESEE knives are just so comfortable in my hand.

Benchmade Steep Country has been great for me over the last 3 years. From small hogs, to deer and bull elk, it has become my favorite. I like the size, weight and good steel. Mine is a drop point, but I think they make it with a gut hook as well.

* looks like the gut hook version may have been discontinued when they updated the Steep Country to the new version.

Last edited:

D S 319

WKR
Never heard of these. But interesting that they are using carbon and not stainless steel. Good on them. In the search for “maintenance free” blades knives have gotten damn hard to maintain…if you get my drift…
Josh smith claimed they broke down several bears, deer, hogs before needing to be sharpened and seemed to back up his work and would warranty just about anything. They don’t stay in stock very long when they drop.