Florida Sambar

StevenH

FNG
I got my permit in phase 1. Just realizing that I haven't met the 10 posts yet.
I guess we need to shoot the bull a bit.

aussielr

FNG
If they are anything like Sambar in Australia have good optics and lots of patience. Tey and find good Stag sign and follow that up, if you can use a dog then even better

dontezuma

FNG
Not sure if posts in different forums are required, but we'll see I guess. Cant wait to connect with you guys on this. I'm thinking maybe scouting? Or is that too far for you guys?

dontezuma

FNG
If they are anything like Sambar in Australia have good optics and lots of patience. Tey and find good Stag sign and follow that up, if you can use a dog then even better
That's a good tip. Thanks... No dogs, though.

Last edited:

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Pensacola, Florida which is about 2 1/2 hours west of St Vincent Island. When it comes to Sambars find the marshy areas. If I recall you can only hunti till 3 pm so stay in your stand until then. People will eventaully get down, bump animals around etc. Also if you see a hunter in the stand do NOT be discouraged. I have killed a lot of animals here in Florida with a hunter only about 200 yards from me. A lot of times they cant see what you see due to the vegetaion.

Also I highly recommend bringing a fishing rod. Any bass set up would work fine but theres a lot of redfish and speckled trout that swim the banks. They are great to eat and a blast to catch. Bring a thermacell and a bicycle to get around the Island other than that have fun. I should be getting drawn in the next year or two.

StevenH

FNG
Definitely want to get up there and scout, Don.
Being there ahead and maybe seeing game would be most encouraging.
Thanks for the tips on the Aussie Sambars. That lines up with everything else I have read.
Snakes and bugs serm to be the biggest obstacles to overcome.

I was drawn for this year's hunt.
The information from last year was helpful. Does anyone know of boats in the area ti hire for the trip?
I have a friend with the perfect boat to transport gear and a 400lb deer, but not sure he can get time off.

Did you get in touch with a charter? If not, I could probably hunt down the info for our guy or others.

Uttcl, I rode past you every morning then lol. Yeah pack for a truck hunt each time you go there no reason to be uncomfortable. Always bring fishing rods too, my dad hooked a nice bull red the last day.

I spoke with the guy who him and his son both killed one. Told me he did the whitetail hunt two weeks before and scouted 40 miles looking for sambar spots.

FYI on the book link posted. Good luck finding a copy, it’s a PHD thesis so copies are few and far between and nothing online . One copy was supposed to be at the unv. of South AL library I sent my cousin to find it and it had disappeared.

We were camped next to the guy and his son - they very much had it figured out.

A quick follow up on our hunt. The three of us saw no sambar, but several deer including a nice buck.
I brought rods, but was too tired to ever fish - lots of walking. I moved my stand everyday and would generally do that after shooting hours so I wouldn't get back to camp until 5 or 6. I won't go back without a bike.

VRODJERRY

FNG
Sounds good, Gmark. I'm in JAX. I have a boat I was planning to bring, though I'm still trying to figure out if my friends will disown me if I go! :LOL::ROFLMAO::oops:
I and 2 others in my group are from Orange Park... I just found this forum doing some research and trying to get the requisite number of posts to PM
:ROFLMAO: This will be our first time as well. Planning for a trip over one weekend before to do a little scouting... We are also bringing a boat and plan to put in at Indian Pass.

VRODJERRY

FNG
Has anyone on here ever camped at the RV campground instead of on the island itself? Asking for a friend :cool:

VRODJERRY

FNG
For those who haven't gotten this years REGs, I attached them here. Also i am part of a FB group

No minimum posts req'd! Several people in the group have multiple trips to the island and successful harvests...

Attachments

• 20-21 st-vincent-national-wildlife-refuge-hunt.pdf
    331.9 KB · Views: 11

buschdog

FNG
Hello fellow sambar hunters. I'm from the Jax area and also joining this year. I have a boat but do question if I should bring it or just book a charter. I have a Carolina Skiff JXV16. Anyone think it'll be sunk in the gulf or be good to go? I've never been to the island yet and would love an experience opinion.

Shrek

WKR
The bay and Indian pass can get really nasty. Slack tide and calm winds you’re fine but winds get up at all and a 16 footer will be dangerous. I’ve fished the area a lot in the past and did much of that in a 1655 Carolina Skiff but I picked my days and was very familiar with the area.

dontezuma

FNG
Hello fellow sambar hunters. I'm from the Jax area and also joining this year. I have a boat but do question if I should bring it or just book a charter. I have a Carolina Skiff JXV16. Anyone think it'll be sunk in the gulf or be good to go? I've never been to the island yet and would love an experience opinion.
I'm also from JAX. StevenH, Mike and I went this weekend to scout. I have a 22' boat that's pretty ocean worthy and the bay was pretty choppy. I was happy to have my big bow flare to push water away. The bay was safely deep from the ramp to the island, though, which was a concern for me.

You've got to anchor it up off the beach for 5 days, so that's probably the big thing for me. Getting across is 30 minutes. The anchoring for 5 days would be my bigger concern. Chop was 2-3 on like a 2 second period with the wind. It wasn't scary. But leaving it anchored off the beach for 5 days is going to have me concerned for my boat. I'll be checking it each afternoon. :)

FLAK

WKR
I crossed over in a gheenoe with a 9.8 on the back.
Going over was really calm, coming back the swells
had picked up. Never again.

buschdog

FNG
Well that's all what I feared to hear but kinda figured. I called the usual charter service and they're not operating with no plan to be operational for season either it seems. It seems it might be extra difficult to get to the island this season in all sorts of ways. Anyone have better luck or have an alternate plan they care to share? I guess I was counting on my skiff and that sounds like that was not such a good idea evidently.

VRODJERRY

FNG
I looked up the book. Not exactly a best seller. A 30 year old perspective of the ecology might not be relevant today.
Before I spend time and treasure on it, what does it contain?
I've read about the habitat that these animals prefer and their habits from multiple web sites. Is there more than I can find online?

I think I would benefit more from a first hand discussion about the lay of the land and where the fresh water can be found that is most likely to grow their favorite foods.
I got the book... only $12. Although it is a thesis from a survey done in 1984-1985, how much has that island really changed in the last 50 years... there is good info in there. I’m going for the first time this year and REALLY looking forward to this hunt.

Rich M

WKR
For one, its not a long drive from Central Florida to get to St. Vincent Island.
It's not at all about not being thankful for the suggestion.
The fact is, the information on the internet is far more extensive than it was in 1990.

In the matter of hours, I learned, not only, the habitat and biology of the Sambar Deer. I read stories about hunts on the island and scrutinized images of harvested and observed animals there. I also listened to their calls and learned the geological history of St. Vincent Island and why they and other species such as the Red Wolf are there.
I then politely asked if there was more in the book that might be more specific to the herd on the island to see if it was worth pursuing.

The way you answered a simple question by throwing out condescending remarks, makes me think that you haven't read the book either.
I had a permit in 2006 and bought and read the book. It provides radio tracking data and such.

Just tried to help. The internet sure is better than scientific data. Hunt wet areas if about the best advice anyone can give.

Never did go - buddy backed out. Hope your hunt is productive.