Florida Sambar

bsfl

FNG
I have been before. Looking for an update post hurricane. The panhandle suffered severe damage, curious how the barrier island was affected and if the ponds have changed, vegetation die-offs etc. Thanks to anyone who may have some insight to share

StevenH

FNG
I was drawn for this year's hunt.
The information from last year was helpful. Does anyone know of boats in the area ti hire for the trip?
I have a friend with the perfect boat to transport gear and a 400lb deer, but not sure he can get time off.

bsfl

FNG
When I went, I just called around to local tackle shops for fishing guide phone numbers. They expect the calls and work around the time of the hunt. It is pricey for what it is but cheaper than trailering 500 miles.

bsfl

FNG
And the tides/wind driven wave combo there can be epic on small boats. Boats can get swamped if you don’t anchor properly as in two bow, one stern far out. Hiring transport is easier.

StorMay05

FNG
I wasn’t successful on the hunt last year but I can give a better update on the island.
There was definitely a lot of pines dying from the stormsurge more on the west end though. Some of the roads along the beach were washed out and weren’t repaired at the time. The pickup route on the north-east section of the island wasn’t being ran because of it.

StevenH

FNG
is a book on the sambar at St Vincents - google it up.
I looked up the book. Not exactly a best seller. A 30 year old perspective of the ecology might not be relevant today.
Before I spend time and treasure on it, what does it contain?
I've read about the habitat that these animals prefer and their habits from multiple web sites. Is there more than I can find online?

I think I would benefit more from a first hand discussion about the lay of the land and where the fresh water can be found that is most likely to grow their favorite foods.

OP
Uttlc

Uttlc

FNG
Well, we didn't end up punching any tags on our hunt, but we learned a lot and have already put in for the draw again. I think there were 9 or ten taken on our end of the island. One group ended up with a father son combo on back to back days which was pretty cool. The son's deer was really good size. Both were shot first thing at shooting light.

As for the island, it had recently had a pretty good burn and a lot of the underbrush had been cleaned out. Lots of good trees to set a climber on and sit for the day. They didn't want us doing any stalking or even moving around before maybe 9 or so and had to be out of the stands by mid afternoon. I would bring a bike next time. We hiked in several miles each morning and having the bikes would have really cut down on travel time. The areas that seemed to be the most successful we along the inland lakes that run down the island and the draws leading in to them.

Snakes. Lots of them. Tons of pygmy rattlers and water moccasins. I about threw out my back stepping over a palmetto bush with a very angry cottonmouth under it that i nearly stepped on. Never thought i'd do a one legged sideways broad jump with a full load out of heavy old climbing stand, rifle, and gear. I would definitely wear snake boots. Also, soak everything you bring in permithrin. The mosquitoes are insane. That, plus a thermacell (tie it to your pack or tree stand...) made them somewhat manageable.

We tried to pack light thinking we would be packing in to the island to set camp, but you are required to set up all in the same area next to the check in station. Knowing that know, we would have packed more like a car camping trip with a more comfortable setup at camp. Some guys brought pop up showers, water heaters, multiple tables, rocking chairs, full grills, multi-room tents, it was pretty comical.

Anyone want more info, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Rich M

WKR
I looked up the book. Not exactly a best seller. A 30 year old perspective of the ecology might not be relevant today.
Before I spend time and treasure on it, what does it contain?
I've read about the habitat that these animals prefer and their habits from multiple web sites. Is there more than I can find online?

I think I would benefit more from a first hand discussion about the lay of the land and where the fresh water can be found that is most likely to grow their favorite foods.

How far are you gonna travel that you are too cheap to buy a book that tells you about the animal habits on the island you are gonna hunt the animals on?

Sound like pure gold to me. The proper response was thank you.

Good luck to you.

StevenH

FNG
How far are you gonna travel that you are too cheap to buy a book that tells you about the animal habits on the island you are gonna hunt the animals on?

Sound like pure gold to me. The proper response was thank you.

Good luck to you.
For one, its not a long drive from Central Florida to get to St. Vincent Island.
It's not at all about not being thankful for the suggestion.
The fact is, the information on the internet is far more extensive than it was in 1990.

In the matter of hours, I learned, not only, the habitat and biology of the Sambar Deer. I read stories about hunts on the island and scrutinized images of harvested and observed animals there. I also listened to their calls and learned the geological history of St. Vincent Island and why they and other species such as the Red Wolf are there.
I then politely asked if there was more in the book that might be more specific to the herd on the island to see if it was worth pursuing.

The way you answered a simple question by throwing out condescending remarks, makes me think that you haven't read the book either.

StorMay05

FNG
Uttcl, I rode past you every morning then lol. Yeah pack for a truck hunt each time you go there no reason to be uncomfortable. Always bring fishing rods too, my dad hooked a nice bull red the last day.

I spoke with the guy who him and his son both killed one. Told me he did the whitetail hunt two weeks before and scouted 40 miles looking for sambar spots.

FYI on the book link posted. Good luck finding a copy, it’s a PHD thesis so copies are few and far between and nothing online . One copy was supposed to be at the unv. of South AL library I sent my cousin to find it and it had disappeared.

StevenH

FNG
The whole name of the book is:
"Ecology of Sambar Deer on St. Vincent National Wildlife Refuge, Florida"
You're right, I mentioned that I wasn't exactly a best seller because I had to dig around just to find the name.
It's available for $12 at:
https://talltimbers.org/.
I just can't find an overview or anything to describe the contents.
I don't expect that it will give information about what the behavior of the Sambar is after significant hurricanes or burns that someone suggested has happened recently. These are real game changers that only current information might help with.

StorMay05

FNG
I can see the hurricane and the pine die off really changing habits. As far as burns changing anything I would have my doubts. Most of the fires are small prescribed burns every couple years, and doesn’t really change much. Plus it’s done in sections not all at once. Definitely not the crown fires they get put west.

dontezuma

FNG
So, 4 of us had tried for a group permit on the Sambar this year and missed. 10:00 today came and went and the 4 of us were refreshing browsers. Well, I was successful and all 3 of my buddies were not. So, other than feeling really guilty about this, anyone out there also get one of the 39 individual permits? I'm not sure how to find those folks. It would be preferable to buddy up.

Gmark

FNG
Congrats on the permit. I was also one of the lucky ones to get one. I see you just joined the forum so you can't send me a PM yet. Once you have posted some more and been on here for a few days, message me and we can chat. I would be open to buddy up with someone.

dontezuma

FNG
Sounds good, Gmark. I'm in JAX. I have a boat I was planning to bring, though I'm still trying to figure out if my friends will disown me if I go! :LOL::ROFLMAO::oops: