Florida Sambar

bsfl

FNG
I did this hunt in 2015, was a lot of fun. I saw a stag, not where they are usually expected, but flubbed it. That still haunts me. Not much to add besides what has been said already. Call the local bait shops and ask for guide recommendations to ferry you over. I scouted the finger roads over on the north east side that dead end. You could smell them in the closed area but not much other sign over there and it took a lot of my scouting time. They feed in the freshwater sloughs, so focus scouting efforts around those. Bring waders and watch for alligators. Pack your stuff in storage totes. No running water on the island. Hunt time ends early, use the afternoon to bike around and scout. Definitely bring a bike.

FLAK

WKR
I've never done the hunt but I've been on the Island.
My son calls it "Death Trap Island".
Sand was the hottest I've ever walked on, sand spurs, snakes, sharks, bugs, bugs, bugs,.....all in one trip.

I did this hunt in 2015, was a lot of fun. I saw a stag, not where they are usually expected, but flubbed it. That still haunts me. Not much to add besides what has been said already. Call the local bait shops and ask for guide recommendations to ferry you over. I scouted the finger roads over on the north east side that dead end. You could smell them in the closed area but not much other sign over there and it took a lot of my scouting time. They feed in the freshwater sloughs, so focus scouting efforts around those. Bring waders and watch for alligators. Pack your stuff in storage totes. No running water on the island. Hunt time ends early, use the afternoon to bike around and scout. Definitely bring a bike.
I've heard mixed results on the bike. My boss brought his 2 years ago and didn't end up using it. Cheap mountain bike the way to go? I do wonder how it will be post Hurricane Michael. They undoubtedly lost some trees.

I've never done the Sambar hunt, but I have done the Whitetail hunt in January a bunch of times and will back for it again this Jan. I did go one year in October to scout and fish while I was already in N FL for another reason. Tons of Rattlesnakes bring your snakeboots. I've only seen a few Rattlers in January and it was crazy warm Jan hunt that I did see them. Beware of very large Alligators there are some beasts in the ponds on the Island. I've never been and not seen a Sambar. Stick near water. In january the sambar are on the beaches early morning blowing their heads off it's really cool to listen too. They are big animals they leave a lot of sign. If you jump something that sounds like an elk/ horse bounding away it was a Sambar. PM me and I will let you know some spots I have seen Sambar on the January hunts I'm not sure if they will be there during your hunt, but it is a good starting point for scouting and is where I would start looking if I was on the hunt. Good luck and have fun the Island is a blast to hunt. Hopefully you get to see the wolves they are cool. Oh and I tried the bike one year and said never again the sand/mud just smoked my legs I just walk.

I've never done the Sambar hunt, but I have done the Whitetail hunt in January a bunch of times and will back for it again this Jan. I did go one year in October to scout and fish while I was already in N FL for another reason. Tons of Rattlesnakes bring your snakeboots. I've only seen a few Rattlers in January and it was crazy warm Jan hunt that I did see them. Beware of very large Alligators there are some beasts in the ponds on the Island. I've never been and not seen a Sambar. Stick near water. In january the sambar are on the beaches early morning blowing their heads off it's really cool to listen too. They are big animals they leave a lot of sign. If you jump something that sounds like an elk/ horse bounding away it was a Sambar. PM me and I will let you know some spots I have seen Sambar on the January hunts I'm not sure if they will be there during your hunt, but it is a good starting point for scouting and is where I would start looking if I was on the hunt. Good luck and have fun the Island is a blast to hunt. Hopefully you get to see the wolves they are cool. Oh and I tried the bike one year and said never again the sand/mud just smoked my legs I just walk.
PM sent.

OP
Uttlc

Uttlc

FNG
Just stumbled on this thread, myself, my dad, and a buddy will be doing it for the first time this year. Very much looking forward to it.

You using a charter? I have access to a boat, but am exploring charter options as I don't know if its worth the risk to our smaller skiff. Boats sink almost every year out there.

We booked a local guy to run us over to the island Wednesday morning and back on Saturday. Wish we did have a boat so maybe we could bounce around the shore of the island a bit, but we'll just hump it overland.

Last edited:
OP
Uttlc

Uttlc

FNG

Thanks for the info! PM sent.

bsfl

FNG
I've heard mixed results on the bike. My boss brought his 2 years ago and didn't end up using it. Cheap mountain bike the way to go? I do wonder how it will be post Hurricane Michael. They undoubtedly lost some trees.

I used my bike extensively and would have not covered near as much ground without it. I just brought a beater mountain bike. If you can fashion a way to carry your stand on a pannier rack, that would work best. I wore mine on my back but upgraded the straps on my summit.

bsfl

FNG
We booked a local guy to run us over to the island Wednesday morning and back on Saturday. Wish we did have a boat so maybe we could bounce around the shore of the island a bit, but we'll just hump it overland.

If I remember correctly, the regulations do not allow you to use a boat to move from hunting spot to spot but I may be incorrect. Plus, the continual anchoring and concerns over tide would not be enjoyable.

KHNC

WKR
i have 4 points for this hunt. Of course, it was closed for apps this year because of the hurricane last year. I am not really wanting to go on this hunt, but 2 buddies i applied with are stoked about it. If we ever draw, i will suffer in silence.

OP
Uttlc

Uttlc

FNG
Those of y’all that have hunted this island before, did you set your stand the first day and that was it or move it each day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carr5vols

WKR
Vacation in this area every summer, only thing to add is eat at Indian Pass Raw Oyster bar and if you like shark fishing either end of the island is jam up. Depending on when u are going take a bowfishing rig get on beach side shot some sting rays and use them for shark bait. Bugs, bugs,bugs, and that many rattlers and cottonmouths as well.

Muppence

FNG
We hunt them all the time in Australia, my tips would be glass alot more than you think you should. They can hide in plain site and will belly crawl in cover to avoid you. They will let you get within 10 yards of them before they will run, or if you are walking they will stand still and wait til you walk past.

StorMay05

FNG
We’re on our way now for this hunt. We’ll be at west pass if anyone needs a hand or just wants to meet up. Just shoot me a PM

bsfl

FNG
Draw results are out for this year and I got a second chance. Are you able to share results of your hunt and recent intel on the island since the hurricane? By Pm if you prefer.

Thanks

FLAK

WKR
I bailed out of the draw last year. I've been on the Island my son calls "death trap Island".
I have simply gotten too old to deal with that many bugs; sand fleas, mosquitoes, deer flies, ticks, etc....
Not to mention the freaking snakes.
And yes, the sharks are thick.
And the hottest sand I've ever walked on in my life.

Shrek

WKR
I bailed out of the draw last year. I've been on the Island my son calls "death trap Island".
I have simply gotten too old to deal with that many bugs; sand fleas, mosquitoes, deer flies, ticks, etc....
Not to mention the freaking snakes.
And yes, the sharks are thick.
And the hottest sand I've ever walked on in my life.
This is the absolute truth ! If it’s black fly season the place is completely unbearable ! I used to fish the ponds a couple of times a year but always before or after fly season.

Rich M

WKR
A couple buddies and I got drawn for Sambar Deer on St. Vincent Island in Florida. We were actually drawn last year, but the hunt was cancelled due to Hurricane Michael. Has anyone on here done this hunt? Looking for some tips on hunting these critters as there isn't a whole lot of info out there. We're trying to do as much research as we can before we go.

The hunt is primitive weapons only so muzzleloader or bow only, and we have to ferry everything over from the mainland to the island. Once on the island, we planning on staying for the duration of the hunt. This will be a bit different than anything I've ever done, so any pointers are appreciated!

I almost went back in 2008. Did all the research and such but didn't go.

The sand on the island is soft.

Deer & some sambar will bed in the dunes.

There is a book on the sambar at St Vincents - google it up.

Sambar like swampy wet areas.

Bring your fishing poles for reds and trout.

Good luck!

KHNC

WKR
I assume the guy from last year didnt do much on his hunt. He never posted again about it . Hope he didnt get eaten by a gator.