Frontal Shot?

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't had the opportunity yet, but if it presents itself, and all is right in the world, I would take it.

cnelk

WKR
Just a couple days after I called in the cow for my one buddy, I called in 2 bulls for my other buddy [his brother].
This bull then had a 100gr Muzzy disappear into his chest at 20yds. You can see the entrance hole by his hand.
The bull went less than 100yds...

DSC03663.jpg

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
Here is an excerpt from my 2011 WY elk season when my first frontal shot didn’t work out for me. I think he was a little too far and wasn’t quartering enough. I believe the broadhead just slipped along outside of the ribcage.

In the afternoon on day one of our hunt, I spotted a bull(picture below) bedded above treeline, alone. I had decided that any 5 or 6 point would do this year, so I decided to go after him.

291947_10150305827222884_609792883_7749513_5334188_n.jpg

310578_10150305828477884_609792883_7749533_8233904_n.jpg

I worked my way around the bowl and found an angle where I could drop down without him seeing me. I ended up getting a 35 yard shot on him, but the angle was not what I hoped for. I have heard of people having success putting an arrow between the brisket and front shoulder, so that is what I did. That was mistake number one. I hit right where I thought I needed to, but didn’t get the penetration I would have liked. He took off, slowed to a walk and then stopped about 175 yards away. I thought I should try to get another arrow in him. That may or may not have been mistake number two. I ended up jumping him without getting a shot on him and he took off. I watched him and thought he stopped when he hit the timber at the bottom of the bowl. It took a picture and marked a couple GPS waypoints so I could find that spot in the morning.

297570_10150305830817884_609792883_7749564_71895_n.jpg

I followed a blood trail that looked much like this the next day for over a mile from where I shot him. It eventually died out. Later my buddies joined up with me, and we searched the area all morning and into the afternoon; all the pockets of timber and walked every trail in the area with no luck at all. I still can’t believe how stupid I was dealing with this bull.

I have buddies who have successfully pulled off this shot however, it is not one that i have taken. I am a good enough shot and depending on the head i was using, angle of the animal, distance, and conditions i may take it. But as of yet i haven't needed too. Except on a turkey with a magnus bullhead! I know that it is possible but i never recommend it to my customers. Not enough people have the shooting proficiency to make this one. B/c, nationally, there is a greater % of hunters that don't pick up their bows until the week or few weeks before season than there are ones shooting year round.

B

bearguide

better be in your high percentage range to take frontals, i have killed them that way and lost a big 6 with my recurve b/c i was off to the side in the shoulder a little. i found him latter but someone already removes his horns / i like to wait for a better shot if possible, but sometimes it is the only chance you can get