Getting Deer In the Truck?

Real problem. I’m no spring chicken.

When you’re hunting solo — any tips, tricks, or DIY setups to get deer into the pickup truck without the throwing out your back (or worse?)

I got it done this time but it wasn’t pretty and I’m still sore 2 days later!

Thanks Roksliders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WookieBowcaster
A Jet Sled with a couple of planks works good

I do use a jet sled but the angle was so steep that it was impossible. 2x4s would help. I saw a video by Before The Echo where he used a similar system and a ratchet strap to crank the sled into the truck bed.

Tod osier

WKR
Real problem. I’m no spring chicken.

When you’re hunting solo — any tips, tricks, or DIY setups to get deer into the pickup truck without the throwing out your back (or worse?)

I got it done this time but it wasn’t pretty and I’m still sore 2 days later!

Thanks Roksliders!

I keep a bed length piece of 3/4 plywood at least 36" wide in the bed. I used to pull the deer up the ramp and inside with a rope, but it is easier to pull the deer on the ramp and then lift the ramp and slide the ramp in with the deer on it, that way you don't have to do something with the plywood. A block and tackle in the truck attached to the plywood ramp would be mighty useful to pull the deer and ramp in at the same time, I'm not there yet as far as needing that.

Smaller ramps like a pair of 2 x 12's just cause a lot of trouble.

OP
WookieBowcaster
I tie a rope around the back legs, get in the bed and pull the up as high as I can tie that off to something, do it again with the front legs, and then push it up the rest of the way. It's really easy.

I like it. Pretty simple approach.

Wrench

WKR
We set a block at the front of the bed....as high as possible. Run rope through the block to the deer or elk. I tie a clove hitch around the legs just above the knee....there's a reason coming up.

The loose end of the rope is tied to anything that is heavier that the load....tree, rock, car...etc. The truck is then put into gear and driven until the rope is at the back of the bed but before it two blocks. Either stop and pull the lower legs around the edge of the bed, or have someone feed it in....then pull ahead till it's in.

Look closely and you'll see the block here.Screenshot_20231124-070630_Messages.jpg

92xj

WKR
I had open heart surgery 3 years ago and was determined to still hunt that year. Montana deer season was 8 weeks post op and I still had a 10 pound weight restriction and could not do anything to pop my sternum open. So, I fabbed up a bracket to mount an atv winch in the front of my bed. I used two wood atv ramps from the tail gate to the ground and I placed the deer in a plastic snow sled. I was able to winch the deer into the bed in 2 seconds with zero effort. I was actually blown away by how well and easy it worked. If you’re anywhere close to eastern Washington I’ll make you a heck of a deal on the winch and bracket as I’m all healed up and have no need for it anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_6209.png
    IMG_6209.png
    897.7 KB · Views: 95

mi650

WKR
This would work: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-spt-gambrel-system-with-brake Slide it up a sheet of plywood.

A winch would be much easier, but it's gonna cost more.

I needed to get one into the back of my truck by myself once. Got him onto my RZR 1st. Pulled my winch cable back over the top and hauled him up. It was kind of a PIA keeping the cable straight, but it worked. From there it was pretty easy to slide him into my truck.

Before I put the winch on my RZR, I'd use a rope to pull a deer up into a tree and back my truck under it.