Getting Deer In the Truck?

Alaska92

FNG
I will start off by saying I am from Alaska. Bringing whole animals out of the field is hardly an option. I never bring whole animals out of the field. That seems silly to me. A small animal like a deer will require 5 game bags. 4 quarters and a bag for the rest. The gutless filet method is fast and efficient. The rest of the carcass stays in the field where it belongs.

cnelk

WKR
I will start off by saying I am from Alaska. Bringing whole animals out of the field is hardly an option. I never bring whole animals out of the field. That seems silly to me. A small animal like a deer will require 5 game bags. 4 quarters and a bag for the rest. The gutless filet method is fast and efficient. The rest of the carcass stays in the field where it belongs.

Well, when you shoot em close to your cabin and you can drive to them, why do the gutless? ;)

Save that for when you have to pack em out.

Plus, there’s some states where you can’t quarter them up in the woods.

IMG_1921.jpeg

mi650

WKR
Well, when you shoot em close to your cabin and you can drive to them, why do the gutless? ;)

View attachment 631514
This. I drag them with my RZR right up to my deer pole outside my house.

HL2S2xn.jpg

iBGUmwE.jpg

Alaska92

FNG

View attachment 631514
I have taken animals near logging roads in the lesser 48 with my vehicle nearby and still cut them up and put the quartered animal in the vehicle. Very simple and easy. Carcass left where it should be. I grew up hanging animals to cut up. I don’t care to fight gravity. I prefer flat on the ground. The angle for the proper cuts are correct. Much easier in my opinion. As for states that don’t allow quartering in the field, I would like to understand the theory behind that. There are some areas in Alaska that won’t allow de-boning in the field. I understand that in some scenarios.

cnelk

WKR
I have taken animals near logging roads in the lesser 48 with my vehicle nearby and still cut them up and put the quartered animal in the vehicle. Very simple and easy. Carcass left where it should be. I grew up hanging animals to cut up. I don’t care to fight gravity. I prefer flat on the ground. The angle for the proper cuts are correct. Much easier in my opinion. As for states that don’t allow quartering in the field, I would like to understand the theory behind that. There are some areas in Alaska that won’t allow de-boning in the field. I understand that in some scenarios.

Tell me something I don’t know ;)

IMG_1990.jpeg

TxxAgg

WKR
I tie a rope around the back legs, get in the bed and pull the up as high as I can tie that off to something, do it again with the front legs, and then push it up the rest of the way. It's really easy.

I did the same thing this year. If you look close, you can see the paracord. It's hard to tell from the pic, but the basket is a little over knee height. The buck was 210#. Lifting dead weight is hard.

The winch, i know i know :)
IMG_8431.jpeg

I bought a $75 game cart from Academy this year and it's been worth its weight! I put the handle on the tailgate and then life up the other end of the cart easily loading the deer into my truck. Then I take the deer to the skinning rack at the WMA to process it into my cooler.

The cart has saved me also as I had a 340 yard drag with 120' of vertical elevation gain in October. For a southerner that was a ton!

Got a headache rack? Ive used rope and the top of the headache rack to help pull deer into the bed. Pull on the rope and lift with the other hand. Physics...

This method worked for me loading my buck into my 4Runner earlier this month. I put a strap around the rack and then to the headrest of the driver seat. The basic setup was there and it worked really well. The next trip out I took the Tacoma; much easier loading but no 4x4.

EdP

WKR

I do have experience with this and it will work just fine. There is a pin that when pulled allows the hoist to swivel. You can pull the animal up, pull the pin, then swivel the animal over your tailgate and bed and let it down. It is also very handy if you just want to skin and breakdown the animal right at the truck.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
If you already have an ATV ramp, I just throw that in the back of the truck, and if I am lucky enough to get one out whole, I just pull it right up the ramp into the truck.

Some of the guys at my camp that hunt out of pickups use the winch and gambrel game hoist system that goes in their receiver hitch. They crank the deer up and it spins around into the bed. They where about $129 bucks the last I checked.

I do have experience with this and it will work just fine. There is a pin that when pulled allows the hoist to swivel. You can pull the animal up, pull the pin, then swivel the animal over your tailgate and bed and let it down. It is also very handy if you just want to skin and breakdown the animal right at the truck.
This right here.

It's been a long time since I loaded a deer in a pickup since most of mine have been lifted by hand into a saddle and then tied on. I have hoisted a few elk into a pickup by myself. It tends to challenge your body. Most were drug to the truck on a lariet by horse. To get then in I carry a coffin hoist / come along that I attach to a chain at the front of the box. The other end to the animals neck. The challenge is getting the shoulders over the tailgate. You run the hoist until it is tight plus then rotate the front quarters back and forth until the pressure is reduced and then tighten the hoist and repeat. Once you get the shoulder over the tailgate they slide right in.

One of the toughest I encountered was a 340 bull I got when I was pre-horse. I had a toyota fj-40 land cruiser. The head barely fit between the seats. We fastened the front shoulders to the rear bumper and drug the rest. We had sawed a road to the bull and then followed the path to the road where we loaded him into a truck with a coffin hoist.

I got better at it as I got older with more experience. A lot what we did was only limited by our imagination. I remember asking an old gent how they did things in his time. He replied " nobody told us we couldn't".

Wrench

WKR
It's been a long time since I loaded a deer in a pickup since most of mine have been lifted by hand into a saddle and then tied on. I have hoisted a few elk into a pickup by myself. It tends to challenge your body. Most were drug to the truck on a lariet by horse. To get then in I carry a coffin hoist / come along that I attach to a chain at the front of the box. The other end to the animals neck. The challenge is getting the shoulders over the tailgate. You run the hoist until it is tight plus then rotate the front quarters back and forth until the pressure is reduced and then tighten the hoist and repeat. Once you get the shoulder over the tailgate they slide right in.

One of the toughest I encountered was a 340 bull I got when I was pre-horse. I had a toyota fj-40 land cruiser. The head barely fit between the seats. We fastened the front shoulders to the rear bumper and drug the rest. We had sawed a road to the bull and then followed the path to the road where we loaded him into a truck with a coffin hoist.

I got better at it as I got older with more experience. A lot what we did was only limited by our imagination. I remember asking an old gent how they did things in his time. He replied " nobody told us we couldn't".
Your story reminds me of the time I borrowed a razor to grab a bull....never again. Screenshot_20231125-202403_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20231125-202526_Photos.jpg