Getting Deer In the Truck?

I keep a bed length piece of 3/4 plywood at least 36" wide in the bed. I used to pull the deer up the ramp and inside with a rope, but it is easier to pull the deer on the ramp and then lift the ramp and slide the ramp in with the deer on it, that way you don't have to do something with the plywood. A block and tackle in the truck attached to the plywood ramp would be mighty useful to pull the deer and ramp in at the same time, I'm not there yet as far as needing that.

Smaller ramps like a pair of 2 x 12's just cause a lot of trouble.
Second that. Easy as pie. No fancy winches, nothing expensive.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I usually have a Ropeman 1 with me. I connect tether/lineman ropes to the tie downs in the truck bed with carabiners. Loop around the head, couple of pulls with the Ropeman holding. Once head is at tailgate level, lift the other end onto the tailgate...rope holds most of the weight. I do the same when I need to load one on an ATV.

manitou1

WKR
Gutless method. You can watch videos online.

I don't drag anything out or have problems loading them in the truck.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I do the deadlift method (although I know as i get older probably wont be able to), drag the deer so it's faceing your tailgate, climb in back of your truck, use your rope or whatever you drag the deer with (I use whats called a Glen's Deer Drag Handle) pull the head of the deer up so it clears your tailgate, cinch up on the rope or drag, bend over and pull while walking backwards. Once the head is started the rest of the deer slides up pretty easy.

(note having a camper top on your truck makes this much harder and impossible on bigger body deer lol)

WillS24

FNG
I tie a rope around the back legs, get in the bed and pull the up as high as I can tie that off to something, do it again with the front legs, and then push it up the rest of the way. It's really easy.
This is the best way

Lowedown

FNG
I agree that the gutless method makes all the pieces much easier to load ;) otherwise something to use as a ramp and a come-a-long

Kodiak06

FNG
Real problem. I’m no spring chicken.

When you’re hunting solo — any tips, tricks, or DIY setups to get deer into the pickup truck without the throwing out your back (or worse?)

I got it done this time but it wasn’t pretty and I’m still sore 2 days later!

Thanks Roksliders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quarter it up and put it in meat bags