Glassing pad options

Rwolf

FNG
Looking to see what diy lightweight glassing pad options are out there. I used a kuiu pad before but it was too small.

The z seat is always a decent choice but I have come to really like my Outdoor Vitals pillow. It’s tough as heck and adds cushion where I don’t have any.

Buy a alps or Walmart foam sleeping pad and cut it to your size you want. Their like sub $20 I got a alps at my local Sierra trading post for like $13.

Thermarest z seat is cool till you in snow or wet ground or you've been sitting for 6hrs. My pad I made is 3 sections of pad and I can fold it in half to get more cushion or lay it out big and have tons of room to scoot around.

Check camofire for the alps one it's pretty common to see them there

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Use a lightweight stool. Gets you off the ground which has many potential benefits.

But if set on a pad, use a cut z-lite pad. Can fold up for more cushion, lay it flat for naps, rest for a shot, mat on the ground for taking a shot on rough ground, etc.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I paid the shipping for a free klymit pillow and used it two seasons of elk hunting but it got a hole part way through the second hunt. I liked the weight, size and comfort but clearly I need to be more careful when using.

amassi

WKR
I have 2 kuiu pads zip tied together so I have an orange side for rifle season and grey when not, I also enjoy tje extra padding

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

h2so4

WKR
I've got a foam thermarest from ebay and cut it down. It's large, luxurious and light. I can also put it under my shoulders at night for even more comfort.

MattB

WKR
As suggested above, I would buy a z-rest sleeping pad or similar and cut it up to fit my needs. They may be more money that the Kuiu dedicated product, but are also more versatile and you can make quite a few from one sleeping pad depending on size.

Elnicko

WKR
Phoenix shooting bags makes the best I’ve found. I cut the foam insert in half and put a piece of memory foam in there.

The pillows are nice. I have had great luck with the durability of the OV pillow. Sat in the rocks, tree stumps and never an issue. My buddy is about 300 lbs and sat on the rocks with no problem.
Another budget option is the black foam seat pad from Walmart. They are about $6 and very light. Usually in the Mossy Oak stuff.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I still use a closed cell foam ThermARest pad cut to 1/3 its length. Gives you a dry double thick pad to sit on the raft, mountain, or camp. light and has no point of failure. Had a cap break on an inflatable pad, useless afterward.

Lowg08

WKR
Nemo switchback cut in half. Or a cheap seat I can grab at tractor supply on sale. I prefer the pad Cut in half. In use in the picture

Attachments

• 7DFF29D4-51ED-4391-B4ED-AD431FDA9EF0.jpeg
    7DFF29D4-51ED-4391-B4ED-AD431FDA9EF0.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 142
Buy a alps or Walmart foam sleeping pad and cut it to your size you want. Their like sub $20 I got a alps at my local Sierra trading post for like $13.

Thermarest z seat is cool till you in snow or wet ground or you've been sitting for 6hrs. My pad I made is 3 sections of pad and I can fold it in half to get more cushion or lay it out big and have tons of room to scoot around.

Check camofire for the alps one it's pretty common to see them there

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I paid the shipping for a free klymit pillow and used it two seasons of elk hunting but it got a hole part way through the second hunt. I liked the weight, size and comfort but clearly I need to be more careful when using.

These. Camofire has the Alps pads all the time for cheap, you get 2 or 3 butt pads per.
The "free" Klymit stuff works well too if you're not sitting on snow. We used a couple of those last year, the stadium seat and one of the pillows. Pillow was pretty small if there's snow but they pack super tiny which is great for 85% of the hunt when they're not being used.

OP
Rwolf

Rwolf

FNG
I found some cheap pads on Walmart.com. The only draw back is the colors. I’ll report back on how they do.

Attachments

• 477671CB-4DA6-4F62-A8EF-B07219369D88.png
    477671CB-4DA6-4F62-A8EF-B07219369D88.png
    335.7 KB · Views: 70