Glassing pads and stools

Not knocking it at all, truly want to know what is great about glassing pads and/or glassing with UL chairs? I have a crappy back, so I love glassing standing with my slik 734, but is glassing with an UL chair worth the extra weight and space of the pad of chair?

Geewhiz

WKR
Not for me. I almost always sit on the ground or on my pack if there is snow. Not worth carrying for me but that could change as I become more geriatric.

Last edited:
I bought one of the foam pads off camp fire cut it up and made 3 smaller pads out of weighs next to nothing and really helps whe. Your sitting on cold rocks in November

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Netherman

WKR
Depends on the hunt.

Heavy glassing = crazy creek hex
Moderate glassing = cut up z seat
Minimal glassing (no tripod) = no seat

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My "glassing" pad is always carried whether I expect to glass or not. It's my sit pad, kneel pad, keep my a$$ dry and warm pad. If it's an overnighter, I slip underneath my air mattress for more r value.

I have a couple of the z seat pads, I found them too small- especially in any kind of weather. I now use a cut up Z Lite pads- 20x20"- 20x40" depending. They weigh one ounce for every 5" section length, so my 20x20" weighs 4 oz.

The issue you’ll have with most ultralight chairs is that they only work on flat or nearly flat ground. If you’re glassing from one mountain side to another, they’re useless.

Not a fan of sitting on the ground/rocks/etc even with a pad. The ground will sap your heat away in short order. Makes it easier for insects and arachnids to get onto your skin; I know the WKR moniker is far more effective at keeping ticks away than permethrin. While have acupuncture performed on your testicles and/or anus may "float your boat", it is not something that I personally enjoy.

I'm not a fan of standing from dawn to dusk either. Harder to get in the shade when it is hot. If it is windy, it sucks even more. Not a fan of letting the world know where I am.

Like most things, use the right tool. Sometimes you don't have much of a choice and have to sit on the ground which lends itself to using a pad. Sometimes the terrain is pretty flat and stable which allows the use of a chair. And other times a stool works best as it can handle a variety of terrains and angles.

I find it hard that the manly men of RS, that wield 12+ pound rifles and can throw an entire elk over their shoulder, find the weights below too bone-crushing to handle:
* Kuiu glassing pad: 1.9 ounces
* BTR stool: 14.3 ounces
* Helinox One chair: 12.8 ounces

What's that phrase that folks say when you don't want to carry a heavy rifle? Oh yeah, work out more.

Fatcamp

WKR
Not a fan of sitting on the ground/rocks/etc even with a pad. The ground will sap your heat away in short order. Makes it easier for insects and arachnids to get onto your skin; I know the WKR moniker is far more effective at keeping ticks away than permethrin. While have acupuncture performed on your testicles and/or anus may "float your boat", it is not something that I personally enjoy.

I'm not a fan of standing from dawn to dusk either. Harder to get in the shade when it is hot. If it is windy, it sucks even more. Not a fan of letting the world know where I am.

Like most things, use the right tool. Sometimes you don't have much of a choice and have to sit on the ground which lends itself to using a pad. Sometimes the terrain is pretty flat and stable which allows the use of a chair. And other times a stool works best as it can handle a variety of terrains and angles.

I find it hard that the manly men of RS, that wield 12+ pound rifles and can throw an entire elk over their shoulder, find the weights below too bone-crushing to handle:
* Kuiu glassing pad: 1.9 ounces
* BTR stool: 14.3 ounces
* Helinox One chair: 12.8 ounces

What's that phrase that folks say when you don't want to carry a heavy rifle? Oh yeah, work out more.

Have you used those Helinox chairs extensively?

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with WeiserBucks, use an old thermarest Z pad thats been cut down. Comfy enough for me for extended glassing. I'm never concerned about my butt getting wet, have my rain pants on if I think thats a possibility. Never had an issue with it being too cold on later season hunts and not concerned about bugs biting my junk on warmer weather hunts by sitting on the ground.

When I want to sit back, relax and really pick a spot apart, set my pack up as a backrest and lean it against some rocks/tree/hiking poles or whatever is available.

on a side note, have used my cut down z pad to stabilize myself on various shots like while shooting in the sitting position. Used it to fill the gap between my arm to my leg and made the shot very stable

Last edited:
I used to use just a standard thermarest Z pad but found that during long glassing sessions I would really be hurting for a backrest which sometimes are not the easiest to find. So I bought a helinox chair zero, at 1 pound its worth its weight. My back doesn't take much fatigue anymore during long glassing hours wish I bought one sooner.

I use a Teton Sports 17x12x2 inch inflatable, zippered into a custom-made naugahyde pouch. Works fantastic.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider

I bring this with me almost everywhere for the same reasons mentioned above. Kneeling, sitting, standing on while I get in/out of my tarp, and little extra insulation under my pad. Not as comfortable as my little chair, but it is a versatile compromise.

Pdzoller

WKR
It totally depends on where I’m glassing from. If I’m only mile or two from my pickup or long range spotting I’m bringing the chair. Most times I’m sitting on my pad or pack though. Fall bear is a chair sport.

Fatcamp

WKR
I used to use just a standard thermarest Z pad but found that during long glassing sessions I would really be hurting for a backrest which sometimes are not the easiest to find. So I bought a helinox chair zero, at 1 pound its worth its weight. My back doesn't take much fatigue anymore during long glassing hours wish I bought one sooner.

How much use has your chair gotten?

Do you feel like it's pretty durable?

Fatcamp

WKR
Looks like the Helinox Ground Chair is only four ounces heavier and would work way better where I hunt. Pretty soft.

I was so tired of cactus after last season I was ready to throw away my bow. 🥺

I use my Helinox chair on almost all of my outings, sometimes I have to get creative so it doesn’t sink in the softer ground and on angles it can get tricky. I started with a pad but enjoy the chair way more.