Glassing pads and stools

They are worth the weight for me. A pad keeps you warm, dry and more comfortable than sitting on the (cold, hard, wet) ground. I added an ultralight chair this year to help with back issues. Game changer when glassing and at camp when staying in the woods for multiple nights. Sitting in a comfortable chair with some back support really helps me relax and recover from the day.

Won't ever go without the Helinox chair one, either around camp or out glassing....

IMG_6196.JPG

IMG_5394_zpsiszrmtqb.jpg

FHF Gear makes a "Backpack Panel" that you can strap to your pack, it has a zipper pocket that you can really put anything in but I stuff it with cut pieces of foam (various thicknesses and softness) and use it as a sit pad. Depending on the season I will put more layers of foam or less. I like it because I can layer a harder/denser foam for the bottom/ground side with a softer/thicker foam for the "butt" side.

How much use has your chair gotten?

Do you feel like it's pretty durable?
I’ve used it pretty extensively for two seasons, it’s pretty durable just make sure you use it correctly. The only downside is it’s tricky to use on steep inclines or really soft ground.

TheTone

WKR
I pack a cheap foam pad to sit on whoever its especially rocky or wet. I probably bought it at Walmart?

WKR
I have been enjoying a "free" (just pay shipping, lol) klymit inflatable seat the past few years. It weighs under 3oz, takes 2 breaths to inflate, and stores easily in the back pocket of my bino harness. It's very nice for some insulation from frozen ground. At night, I fold it in half and stuff it into a shirt to use as a pillow.

This thread has me thinking about a crazy creek hexx for situations where I might want back support. I might have to bike down to REI this weekend to try one out. I tried one of the Helinox-style chairs last year, but there was too much fiddle factor for my liking. I also felt like it was too tough to get out of for a hunting scenario.

Last edited:
OP
T
I have been enjoying a "free" (just pay shipping, lol) klymit inflatable seat the past few years. It weighs under 3oz, takes 2 breaths to inflate, and stores easily in the back pocket of my bino harness. It's very nice for some insulation from frozen ground. At night, I filled out in half and stuff it in to a shirt to use as a pillow.

This thread has me thinking about a crazy creek hexx for situations where I might want back support. I might have to bike down to REI this weekend to try one out. I tried one of the Helinox-style chairs last year, but there was too much fiddle factor for my liking. I also felt like it was too tough to get out of for a hunting scenario.
Tried the crazy creek in store yesterday and didnt love it, no different than just sitting on the ground and leaning against your pack… walked out with the REI UL chair, I’m 210 and it holds me just fine and was surprisingly comfortable

Reactions: 9.1

WKR
Tried the crazy creek in store yesterday and didnt love it, no different than just sitting on the ground and leaning against your pack… walked out with the REI UL chair, I’m 210 and it holds me just fine and was surprisingly comfortable
I'll probably come to the same conclusion. I'm curious, did you try the classic chair or the hex 2.0?

OP
T
I'll probably come to the same conclusion. I'm curious, did you try the classic chair or the hex 2.0?
Yes, and it’s a good chair also, I preferred the angle of the REI version and REI chair it’s actually lighter true weight (not the online specs)

I pack a crazy creek and think it’s well worth the weight. Can kick back in a tent. Slips between frame and bag. Different strokes I reckon.

I also slide it under my inflatable sleep pad for a little extra r.

OP
T
I pack a crazy creek and think it’s well worth the weight. Can kick back in a tent. Slips between frame and bag. Different strokes I reckon.

I also slide it under my inflatable sleep pad for a little extra r.
Yeah, just a matter of preference

My wife and I both use the Ultralight triple S pillow from thunderbird long range and love it. It's a pillow, glassing pad and shooting bag and it's super light. We have the 1lb rei chairs too but almost always find a reason to leave them behind and just take the triple S pillows if backpacking due to weight. Just use our packs as the back rest when we can

taskswap

WKR
I use a Hillsound BTR stool, the taller one, for scouting trips where I expect to do some glassing. I can only stand it for an hour or two but it's nice to be higher off the ground and I just take breaks anyway. For actual hunt days I carry an inflatable. It's the same weight comfort IMO as a z-fold but much less bulky.

Reactions: 9.1