GoHunt resubscription price? Am I over the line?

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve used GoHunt for two years now. I find it useful, but I’m not willing to pay $150 a year for it. It is easy to find $50 discounts or “credit” in the online store, which effectively brings the price to $100 per year, which I am willing to pay. Last year when my membership renewed, they auto-charged me $150 (and I HATE auto renewals with a passion). I called them up and asked about the discount and they gave it to me, but they didn’t seem all that pleased about it. This year, I just let it expire with the intent of creating a new account again for the discount. I feel like a bit of a cheap ass, but then again, I AM a cheap ass. Am I over the line getting the $50 store credit every year? Are other guys here paying full price after the first year? Don’t judge me!!!

If you feel bad, you could give me $50 towards my subscription. At least you aren’t sharing your subscription with friends all on one account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I been a member for three years now. It's a time saver for sure if you have multiple states your applying in. That said they better find a way to add more value or get more competitive on the price as other services have made a lot of gains. I could see myself jumping ship for another option.

tdhanses

WKR
I think if they just sold it for $99 a year they would get more people to sign on. Seems like the $50 discount is really only a credit towards buying gear which isn’t a draw to me. I’ve thought about trying it for a few years now but just can’t seem to do it.

Laughing my ass off here. Just purposely let expire 3 days ago, and will be doing the exact same thing. Im all about (sorta) saving $50. Dont care if any arguments to the contrary exist, anyone who feels we are cheating the system is free to donate $50 in my name;)

Ten Bears

WKR
I feel the exact same way. I informed them this week to turn off auto renew because of this. I wish there was an option just to use draw odd/strategy info, instead of being involved in giveaways. If the price was lower I would stay. Toprut has the basic stuff I use for a better price, albeit not as nice of a site.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I been a member for three years now. It's a time saver for sure if you have multiple states your applying in. That said they better find a way to add more value or get more competitive on the price as other services have made a lot of gains. I could see myself jumping ship for another option.

Yup. That’s basically the way I feel with sites like Top Rut making gains. I don’t need all the extra stuff like the online store or the articles. I just want the draw info! Thanks everyone for the inputs!

TheTone

WKR
Its a bit expensive for me. I've been a member for 3 years and maybe log in 5-10 times a year tops. I've noticed information in my home state thats inaccurate at best and could get someone in legal trouble at worst which makes me suspect of other info. I don't find the articles particularly interesting or shop the gear shop.

Sounds like basically after 2-3 years you outgrow it. You’ve learned your routine and can source the info directly or via other alternative so around that 2-3 year mark the percieved value diminishes. They need tiered memborship access so you can get a package that is somewhat tailored to you as a user instead the all or nothing

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
It seems to me that most of what we are paying for is advertising, giveaways, articles, ect....
I’m not interested in those things.
I don’t think I’d be for it after this year. I constantly find myself going to the different states DFW sites to get the actual data so I can parse out and wrap my head around how Gohunt chooses to display the data.
They display the data for each state based on how the state presents/collects the data. But they also manipulate it to some degree.

I agree, it seems to be a service you outgrow.

Rackmastr

WKR
I've wondered about subscribing for a year, but don't apply much in various states. My wife has 11 points in Wyoming for antelope and I've got a handful for mulies, but other than that we are only going to be looking for a hunt or two. Seems the cost may not be worth it for the 2-3 hunt applications I do each year, and especially given that for the most part I can figure out the few options that would put my wife into a 'premium' pronghorn hunt unit in Wyoming already without paying.

Pricey for sure, but I guess if you're doing a ton of apps it could be really worth it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Top rut has always been awesome for odds now they going offer more options in a on subscriber based platform. Interested to see what that will all entail.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
Sounds like basically after 2-3 years you outgrow it. You’ve learned your routine and can source the info directly or via other alternative so around that 2-3 year mark the percieved value diminishes. They need tiered memborship access so you can get a package that is somewhat tailored to you as a user instead the all or nothing
This is brilliant. Not sure what they do to improve, but you hit the nail on the head. I'm three years in and on the fence about if I want it or not. Saves some time, but the articles and stuff is really just fluff at this point. And let's face it, fifty bucks in the store is just a way to get you in the door. You'll likely spend more and they profit at the end of the day. Nothing against profit, but after you've mostly settled on gear, it's not much of a motivator anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
T Saves some time, but the articles and stuff is really just fluff at this point.

Interesting, I get a lot of value out of the articles on specific state strategies as they tell me where not to go. I read it for the state I'm going to, then mark off all the areas they talk about to rule them out since every mug with an internet connection now knows about it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, but you already had Eastmans and Huntinfool for that. Do you really need another option?

The $50 "credit" is kinda a joke,when you consider they charge full blown retail for items, compared to the full $50 off they used to offer. Based on some of my research gohunt has some serious issues with accuracy when compared to the raw data in some of the units I spent time on crunching the numbers. I've found multiple errors if you stare at data enough, since I'm the one who does the research/tag strategy for our group. I won't be renewing my subscription since they are more worried about being a hunting store (got to make a buck, I get it) then actually the accuracy of their what was the core product imho.

blb078

WKR
I’ve used GoHunt for two years now. I find it useful, but I’m not willing to pay $150 a year for it. It is easy to find $50 discounts or “credit” in the online store, which effectively brings the price to $100 per year, which I am willing to pay. Last year when my membership renewed, they auto-charged me $150 (and I HATE auto renewals with a passion). I called them up and asked about the discount and they gave it to me, but they didn’t seem all that pleased about it. This year, I just let it expire with the intent of creating a new account again for the discount. I feel like a bit of a cheap ass, but then again, I AM a cheap ass. Am I over the line getting the $50 store credit every year? Are other guys here paying full price after the first year? Don’t judge me!!!

Nothing wrong with being a cheap ass on stuff. I do it it even when I can more than afford some things. I read an article a few years back in regards to coupons(mostly paper coupons) and how surveys show that more affluent/wealthy people use them than lower income people. They did some interviews and one was with an NBA player and he said every time he goes out to a local restaurant he looks for coupons. He's reasoning for it was "why should I pay more for something than someone else does" which makes perfect sense when you think about it. So yea, if you can get it cheaper than go for it and don't feel bad and that goes for anything you are buying. You work hard for your money too, no sense in giving it away.

The value of their service and many like it is less useful for that person who has he otc/easy to draw unit that he picks every year and he already knows his trophy unit he is saving his points for. If you plan on looking at a lot of states and units it can be good but at the same time they info they are giving you can be gotten for free on game and fish sites and even other sites have that info for less. I guess their claim is they do a better job at calculating odds than some other places. I have no idea if that is true or not maybe someone who has compared them can chime in on that. It's kind of like OnX too, there are literally dozens of apps show public/private land boundaries and they are all using the same info.

Full disclaimer; I have subs to both gohunt and OnX but I may cancel them and look at cheaper options just to see what else is out there.

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I guess it depends on how you feel about the service. Their " Magical" formula. Is not so magic. I have an excel spreadsheet that goes back to before most of the " Go Hunters" have been alive and I can tell you that their proprietary data is well..... Blah

There are few secrets any more. If you have a 6 the grade education you can figure it out on your own.

Where things get dicey is comparing your guaranteed tags or high odds tags to the moon and drought.

I suppose when the datasets predict that then the service will be worth it to me.. YMMV

Trial153

WKR
Yea you can figure it out on your own for sure. The differences is that if the subscription saves me 3 hours over the course of the year it's a break even proposition for me.

The issue is now becoming that you will soon be able to get similar services for 1/3 the price so the break even point is even less.
In all hoenstly it's nice having everything in one spot and they do have some good features to compare and filter results.