Going scouting when you are using a guide?

Has anyone gone scouting in a new area when they are using a guide? I was planning on a scouting trip to a new area where I drew a tag but decided to go with a 2 day guide/ 9 day camp with an outfitter in the area.

Will I be wasting my time going out there considering the guides will know the area far better or will there still be a benefit to go out there? This unit is about 10 hours away so it wouldn't be a couple day trip to scout. Curios as to what you guys think.

Has anyone gone scouting in a new area when they are using a guide? I was planning on a scouting trip to a new area where I drew a tag but decided to go with a 2 day guide/ 9 day camp with an outfitter in the area.

Will I be wasting my time going out there considering the guides will know the area far better or will there still be a benefit to go out there? This unit is about 10 hours away so it wouldn't be a couple day trip to scout. Curios as to what you guys think.

Never used a guide - but if I were - and if I was thinking like you were - then go scout it. Doesn’t hurt.

More eyes the better. Maybe you’ll see something they missed. You can compare notes. If I were you tho, I’d tell em your thoughts and I’d ask them where you will be guided to during the hunt and ask them where you recommend scouting. Maybe you can cover some areas they don’t get too.

More scouting never hurts, it only helps. Plus + you’ll have a better feel for what you are getting into for your hunt and you’ll be better equipped to hunt it.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I say GO! Just the chance to see the area and feed your emotions and mental planning is worth it. You have nothing but the time and expense to lose so with that in mind. Not much to lose and everything to gain by just plain enjoying a trip before the big trip. Good luck and keep us posted.

WBrim

WKR
If you have the time, I’d say to go. Try to talk with your guide before hand about some different areas. It’s always good to get out.

If I was only 10 hours away I’d be there at least 4 weekends this summer. Probably more. By the time I got there I’d know it better than the guide. Not all guides were born and raised where they work.

10 hours, you could cut out early on a Friday, drive all night, glass AM and PM Saturday, AM Sunday, and get home in time for work on Monday. Probably do that two or three times. If elevation is a concern try to do last scouting trip within a couple weeks of the hunt.

Eastfork

FNG
sometimes guides arent actually locals or real familiar with the area. not trying to rip outfitters, but they will hire outsiders or non residents to hold peoples hands in the woods. totally scout on your own, it will totally benefit you in the long run.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to be negative, but if you only have a guide for two days, what do you think the chances are of them showing you their honey holes? And as some other guys have already mentioned, some of these guys aren't at the top of the gene pool. Some guides are awesome - but those guys usually end up working at top notch outfits making decent money guiding folks who have serious money.

My guess is you'll end up with a local that shows you a few trail heads and maybe even walks a few trails with you - but not too far from the trail heads. Obviously most of this could be done using google maps and a pre-scout trip. I'd go do some scouting.

I have done two "guided" hunts in my life and will go on a third this fall for moose in Newfoundland. One guide was good at what he did - but I paid pretty good money for that hunt. The second one was recommended by a guy at work and was terrible. While we stopped at a convenience store during our scouting activity - a clerk asked him if he was interested in guiding some rifle hunters in two weeks. Said and outfitter was looking for some help. I'm thinking REALLY? An outfitter is two weeks from rifle elk season and he's looking for guides AND this guy could possibly get the job??? It's just a mixed bag out there - prepare for the hunt and you should be satisfied with the adventure.

sndmn11

WKR
This 100 percent. Plus it'll give you better idea of what animals are doing
Honestly, I'd stay out of the woods and just walk the forest roads to get my legs and lungs rolling. Maybe chat up all the folks driving if there's an open season beforehand and tell them you are doing a guided bear hunt...they always spill their secrets when they think you are bear hunting.

Deadfall

WKR
Honestly, I'd stay out of the woods and just walk the forest roads to get my legs and lungs rolling. Maybe chat up all the folks driving if there's an open season beforehand and tell them you are doing a guided bear hunt...they always spill their secrets when they think you are bear hunting.
Valid

Jethro

WKR
I’ve done the 2 day guided in the same unit twice. Both times we showed up early to scout. It always helps, but especially that 2nd time. Plus if you don’t tag out early, by day 3 you’re on your own. Then your personal knowledge will be invaluable

Deadfall

WKR
I’ve done the 2 day guided in the same unit twice. Both times we showed up early to scout. It always helps, but especially that 2nd time. Plus if you don’t tag out early, by day 3 you’re on your own. Then your personal knowledge will be invaluable
Also valid