Golden Eagle Outfitters recommendations?

label027

FNG
I am looking into booking a caribou hunt for next year with Golden Eagle Outfitters. I got to talking to a fellow that had a great experience with them and I've been trying to find as much info as possible on them since, and have read nothing but good things. I wanted to reach out and see if any others have any experiences with them that they'd be willing to share.

When did you go? How long were you there? How many head of caribou did you see throughout the trip? Any tips or anything you would do differently? Thanks for the info, as always I appreciate the tips this forum provides!

VernAK

WKR
Jimmy is my neighbor and friend as well as a well respected member of our community.

Are you intending to hunt Kotzebue area or out of Delta as they operate in both areas very far apart.

I helped some friends this past fall on a last minute caribou hunt. Set them up with Golden Eagle. Three guys, they hunted 7 days I believe. They killed two bulls, one rifle, one archery and a wolf. Caribou sightings were slim and they were in pretty well timbered country. I think they did pretty well given the conditions and though they didn't experience full on Caribou Nirvana most folks believe they will, they were happy with the service and outcome. This hunt was out of Delta, not Kotz. I think you'd be better served out of Kotz in my opinion.

KHNC

WKR
Whew! I am so relieved to read there is another Golden Eagle Outfitters , besides the one in Eastern Colorado. Stay far away from Donny Carr and the CO operation. He used to do muley hunts for years. Not someone you want to book with. I am curious about the Caribou hunt with these guys though. I will look into it as well.

OP
L

label027

FNG
I am planning on going out of Kotzebue, I should have mentioned that. Thanks for the input fellas.

mritter

FNG
Flew with them this year, Sept. 14-21. Hunted approximately 90 nm north northeast of Kotzebue, north of the Noatak River. Service was good. I would recommend them. My friends have used them for many years now. Did not see great numbers of caribou as it seems the migration had not quite started due to warm temperatures. My party of four ended up with 3 caribou and 1 moose. Saw very few bears.

Last edited:

BillB

FNG
We used Jared and co out of kotzebue this year. Good service and excellent piolots. My partner shot his thr first day and I passed,a,few smaller bulls and saw a couple I would have shot but couldn't close the distance. We got fog and torrential rain for the next 6 days rendering visibility nil. I hunted hard and put the time in despite the conditions and was rewarded with a couple opportunities at smaller bulls that I passed and an excellent experience. I would use them again with no reservations. The only reason I haven't reserved with them for next year yet is I'm going solo and hoping to find a cub ride into 40 mile country. Golden Eagle does that but when I spoke to him (Jim)he couldn't accommodate my time frame. Recommend without reservation

Jimss

WKR
I used GE on a sheep hunt quite a few years ago out of Delta. They did a great job and dropped us off in a great spot on that particular trip.

VernAK

WKR
Keep in mind that even the best pilots can't read a caribou mind. I've been dropped off in front of huge herds and they did a 90 degree turn the next day and we only saw a few. It's not always easy to get into the migration but a heck of an experience when you do.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I’d fly with them for the logo on their sweatshirts alone😆.
They are a solid outfit too.

Jim and Jesse dropped us in for a 12 day hunt this year. Have nothing but great things to say about their operation. Spoke to Jared over in Kotz a few times and found him to be a straight shooter as well. Hope to give them business again in 2021.

bighorn

FNG
I know a couple guys from my area that used them this year(2019). They were impressed with the operation, but didn’t see many caribou and tonight there might have been better areas available to be dropped. I’ve heard they are the safest if your worried about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I got booked with a couple buddies for next September. Cant wait to get back to Alaska.

miloak

FNG
Jared is a straight up guy. He'll do right by you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
ANy of you guys that were scheduled for golden eagle in 2019-2020 have any trip reports? Narrowed down our transport to BRA and Golden Eagle 2022, and leaning towards GE, would love some post hunt opinions.