Good 15x VS Great 10x/12x?

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Does anyone have any experience with the Tract 10x50? They seem comparable to the Maven’s. At first glance.

nobody

WKR
Probably super bright, but I've never used any GPO binos. At that price for a 10x56, they're probably pretty middle of the road when it comes to glass quality. And at +/- $900, I would probably still save up an extra $100 for the Maven's. I'm sure they're fine binos though.

Remember, optical quality over quantity, especially when dealing with anything below Alpha Class.

All of us have our particular preferences and have different eyes.

Take with a grain of salt, lime wedge, and a tequila shooter....

Best Binoculars For Hunting: $1,000 Class

BinocularWeightFOVPrice
#1Zeiss Conquest HD28oz345ft$999
#2GPO Passion HD29.6oz336ft$929
#3Meopta Meopro Air29.2oz360ft$999
#4Vortex Razor HD24.8oz362ft$999
#5Leica Trinovid25.7oz339ft$999
#6Tract Toric27oz341ft$694
#7Leupold BX-5 Santium24.3oz341ft$999
#8Sig Zulu726.7oz341ft$699
#9Maven B.129.8oz341ft$950

Trees91

WKR
I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole thread.

But...whatever you do don't buy those vultures.

I guided a client that had a set and they're horrible.

I've had 15s, maven b4(I think) and swaro slc. I use 12x50 swaro el off a tripod now and I don't miss the 15s at all.

Save your money for a good set of 10s or 12s.

If i were you, i would hit up the classifieds and purchase some really nice gently used glass for less than retail- my vote is Meopta Meostar 10x50.

really any of the suggestions above would fit the bill, but i think hitting the classifieds and buying from a trusted seller on some gently used Binos would be the way to go.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
@Outcast2.0. That’s always a consideration and usually the first place I look. I’ve been very fortunate to get some good deals or good gear from good people. I’m always checking.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Budget has now become a hard $700. With less than that being better. Acquired some more irons for the fire over the weekend.

I watched and read the backcountry pursuit review. Now I’m looking at Tract, BX-4, used Razor HD. Preferring a 10x50 flavor and maybe a 12x50 if the deal comes along. He seemed to like the Leupolds he tested at in low light situations.

Thanks for the suggestions.

nobody

WKR
Budget has now become a hard $700. With less than that being better. Acquired some more irons for the fire over the weekend.

I watched and read the backcountry pursuit review. Now I’m looking at Tract, BX-4, used Razor HD. Preferring a 10x50 flavor and maybe a 12x50 if the deal comes along. He seemed to like the Leupolds he tested at in low light situations.

Handle the Leupold's before buying. From what I've seen, guys either love them or hate them, and usually it has to do with facial ergonomics. For myself (and everybody I've hunted with or looked at optics with), the shape of the eyecups on the Leupolds made them a hard no for us.

Never looked through a pair of Tracts, heard good things. I've personally always just felt like they were riding the coattails of Maven, and that bothered me.

How about the Maven C.3's? Currently 20% off. I had some for a few years and, if I hadn't gotten such a screaming deal on my UHD's, I would still be using them. They are comparable to Vortex's Razor HD lineup, lifetime warranty, all the good things. About $400 on the sale for 10's or 12's, leaves you some budget left over.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
@nobody. So you’re saying that the C’s are comparable to the Razor HD? I understand that’s your eyes and not mine, but you think there that good? If that’s the case, at that price point they’re definitely worth a look.

nobody

WKR
@nobody. So you’re saying that the C’s are comparable to the Razor HD? I understand that’s your eyes and not mine, but you think there that good? If that’s the case, at that price point they’re definitely worth a look.
Yup, to my eyes they were for sure. I love my UHD's, but the HD's are outclassed by the C's. Only downside is a narrower field of view on the C's, but the C's are clear all the way to the edge and the HD's have got some blur at the edge. Tradeoff for sure, but if I had to go back to C's tomorrow for some reason, I wouldn't be pissed. They're not Leica or Zeiss or even UHD level, but they're really really awesome.

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Given recent events for me, the price is appealing. And recommendations from someone who has been behind them means a lot. I may contact them on trying the 10’s and 12’s this week. I appreciate it.

nobody

WKR
Given recent events for me, the price is appealing. And recommendations from someone who has been behind them means a lot. I may contact them on trying the 10’s and 12’s this week. I appreciate it.
Absolutely, give them a call. They're good to talk with, and half the time you'll end up on the phone with one of the 3 owners. Great company to work with, and you'll be happy with the C's for your dollar spent.

EDIT: Be sure to come let us know what you end up doing!

Last edited:
Are you opposed to buying used? The Meoptas and Zeiss can be had for around $700 and are both better than Mavens

OP
B

BLJ

WKR
Are you opposed to buying used? The Meoptas and Zeiss can be had for around $700 and are both better than Mavens

Not at all opposed to used. I've got a lot of value for my money on used over the years. I check the classifieds about twice a day. 😁

I tried the 15x but they were hard to use as a stand alone product. I couldn’t see anything close and they are hard to hold after a short period of time. I am not a fan of tripods, so that was out of the question. A few years ago I picked up a set of Leica DuoVids in 8/12x42 and couldn’t be happier. I paired them with a Manfrotto monopod and haven’t looked back. I spend the majority of my time glassing with the 8x and can quickly switch to 12x when needed. To me, it is the best of both worlds and I don’t have to carry two separate pieces of glass.

Wrench

WKR
Don't be afraid to look at porro prism designs. You get a lot more bang for your buck optically at the cost of compactness....but there's some great glass out there. I ran fiji porros for a long time before my income allowed me to up my game. They were optically superior to many roof prism favorites of the net.

Those in 10's are not going to do what you're wanting. Alpha 10's with primo resolution work, but not at that price point. I would go for 12's. I have 8x42 BX4's and have had the 10x42's as well, great 10's for the $$ the the resolution just isn't quite there. The extra 2x of the 12x50's I would imagine would work though. Euro has a "like new demo" listed for a good deal that are indeed brand new sealed units and $100 under your budget.

Last edited: