great over the counter units in Idaho? help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lif

WKR
5 buddies and I are wanting to head to Idaho on an over the counter elk hunt. we are pretty fresh to this elk hunting but have been hunting whitetails in iowa all our lives. which units would you prefer for best opportunity at killing some bulls
. Best piece of advice I can give you is to spend some time researching archived threads on this website and others. This forum is a bit of a community, and it is never a good idea to pull into a small town and ask the locals where you can find the prettiest girl in town before anyone even knows your name. Try to consider all the negative feedback in a positive way, because with enough hard work and luck you might find a good spot at some point, and will be thankful that the guy camping next to you isn’t on rokslide telling the world your coordinates. I spend countless hours online looking up info on areas and ideas. Lots of time and effort but always seems to pay off in some way. We all started without the knowledge, but very few started by asking strangers. Good luck

mwebs

WKR
This post is hilarious, guess the bucks in your FB profile pics just are not cool enough anymore and the BRO series on YouTube got you excited. No one on here and hopefully no one on the other forums you posted on is going to tell you to come hunt their favorite unit and it was naive to simply jump on here and ask. I have a lot of buddies from the Midwest and I understand that being from Iowa you think there is unlimited amount of wilderness out here, so guys won't mind discussing it, but that is far from the truth. More and more people are hunting and with the amount of resources available areas are being inundated. Like I pointed out on a different post, someone saying I am interested in hunting the NE corner of whatever wilderness puts a spotlight on that area and any yahoo can google earth it. When it is only a few miles across it gets small really quick.

Look at hunter numbers of a unit, count roads/ access points to areas that may hold elk (yes not all FS, BLM or Wilderness land holds elk, the whole stat isn't covered with elk, shocker) and divide that hunter numbers by that and you will realize how small it gets quickly.

Also 5 guys with hunting experience consisting of walking 100 yards to a tree-stand and have no clue how to elk hunt is a ridiculous idea unless your just coming out here to hike, blow elk out of an area and drink beer. Let me know where your going to hunt and I will plan on being a couple miles away on obvious escape routes, it will be like an old fashion Midwest deer drive!

There is no magic unit where you and 5 buddies can come out and shoot bulls, just pick one that looks good to you and come out and learn.

When I’m not worried about crowds and elbow room- I’m worried about elk numbers below objective and dwindling every year and when that’s not on my mind I’m worried about availability of tags.

In that light it’s tough for me to say anything beyond “national forest.” The national forest still had some last year. Not as many as the year before but more than this year!! that’s where I recommend and that’s where I go. The National Forest.

Felix40

WKR
I agree. I typed it into the computer and couldn't figure out the numbers as well. I understand nobody wants to give the information away and to be honest I totally agree with that. im not asking for anyones honey hole. just a general location for successful opportunities. thanks

First steps you should make in preparing for your elk hunt:

1. Buy a gps
2. Learn to use a gps

bozeman

WKR
Idaho is a great OTC state! Get a map and just go....you will have a blast....especially if you have never been. Best of luck and be safe......

Colorado has twice the hunters of all the other states combined. It’s a race by 700 people to kill the only legal bull in each unit.

This Colorado and Idaho stuff kills me. Well in Idaho the 600 people looking for the bull have 50 more miles to cover before finding a bull due to lower elk numbers.

Just pick a unit and go. No residents want you in Idaho or Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.