great over the counter units in Idaho? help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, and us non-residents want more company?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that too. We’re all a little territorial. But if you add some value to Rokslide and ask good questions to biologists you can get a point in the right direction even so!

This Colorado and Idaho stuff kills me. Well in Idaho the 600 people looking for the bull have 50 more miles to cover before finding a bull due to lower elk numbers.

Just pick a unit and go. No residents want you in Idaho or Colorado.

I agree with the responses about joining rokslide to ask for a unit to hunt, and how doing the legwork yourself is part of the overall effort to kill elk.

But that last sentence regarding “no residents want you in Idaho or Colorado” is just ridiculous. You think small town cafes, sporting goods stores, IDFG, pilots, outfitters, etc. all feel that way? I get that overcrowding is becoming more of an issue, but telling people to stay in their own state is such a narrow minded perspective to have.

I agree with the responses about joining rokslide to ask for a unit to hunt, and how doing the legwork yourself is part of the overall effort to kill elk.

But that last sentence regarding “no residents want you in Idaho or Colorado” is just ridiculous. You think small town cafes, sporting goods stores, IDFG, pilots, outfitters, etc. all feel that way? I get that overcrowding is becoming more of an issue, but telling people to stay in their own state is such a narrow minded perspective to have.

Chill. No offense intended. No hunters are stoked to have new guys in their area is all. Do you want a horde of new guys in your unit? Sure the businesses and state like nonresident hunter dollars.

I help tons of guys on here every year through PMs as do a lot of the old timers here. Lots of nice guys that you hope have good experiences. Sometimes too much with the huge wave of nonresident hunters these days it is what it is.

chasewild

WKR
I'm excited to see the very positive response on this thread. It's like Roksliders are learning something....maybe.

Not to mention, most Colorado folks I met when lived there from 2001-2003 were transplants from CA, midwest, or southeast. Everybody wants to preach public land until there is some competition.

Having said all of that, it is pretty rude/ignorant to ask for spots on a public forum, whether it is for hunting, fishing, or anything else where the folks who are successful became that way through YEARS of hard work and burning their own time and energy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jmcd22

WKR
Having said all of that, it is pretty rude/ignorant to ask for spots on a public forum, whether it is for hunting, fishing, or anything else where the folks who are successful became that way through YEARS of hard work and burning their own time and energy.

Not saying you did this Doc and this isn't directed towards you (I agree with you on your entire post)...but I wanted to highlight that it is also rude of people to be complete jackasses when guys ask questions (previous posts OTT). We all hate when someone gets on a public forum and blasts out areas or units but wouldn't it make sense to educate them to do their own research rather than chastise them or just be blatant a$$wipes? Just my 2 cents...

sneaky

"DADDY"
There is so much information on the web now that everything you need for your BASIC research is already there. To get on here and ask a completely open- ended question about the best elk units says that they have done zero research on the topic already. Much different than saying "I've talked to the bios and looked at objectives and stats but I have some questions about current conditions in a REGION not unit". That will get more traction. But logging in and jumping straight to "where can a half dozen of us all go and kill good bulls" doesn't win people over. The mule deer forum right now is full of new members asking for info on units they just drew. Hell, they didn't research before they applied?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jmcd22

WKR
So why not tell them that? Look, I agree with you and I hate it as much as the next guy when people do this kind of stuff...all I am saying is it makes more sense to try and educate and have some tact rather than just be a jackass.

bmf0713

WKR
I’m from the east and I asked the dreaded “info on a hunt unit” question when I first drew tags for a westerns antelope hunt. Coming from a place where I get to hunt a lot of private land and have people talking all the time about seeing or killing big big bucks here or there I didn’t really think of the question I was asking until people on this forum put it in perspective for me. I don’t know a lot of people that hunt public ground because there is not a lot around here and hunting out west is a whole new ball game. But I did do a lot of research before I asked and I think because maybe I had so much money invested and it was such a long ways to travel that I wanted to get as much info as possible so asking someone else for help seemed like the right thing to do until I saw everyone loose their shit and I now understand where everyone is coming from. So now I won’t ask that question ever again. Unless someone wants to tell me where their honey hole is.. haha!

Reactions: lif

sneaky

"DADDY"
So why not tell them that? Look, I agree with you and I hate it as much as the next guy when people do this kind of stuff...all I am saying is it makes more sense to try and educate and have some tact rather than just be a jackass.
So, you're fine with them skipping right past the search function on here then? There's a million threads on these things already and guys get tired of answering the same questions over and over. It really isn't anymore difficult for them to do that first than it is for someone to tell them to do it first.

cnelk

WKR
Anymore the only way to get the point driven in is to be a jackass.

Probably the first time someone told them the way the real world works.

jmcd22

WKR
So, you're fine with them skipping right past the search function on here then? There's a million threads on these things already and guys get tired of answering the same questions over and over. It really isn't anymore difficult for them to do that first than it is for someone to tell them to do it first.

I could care less what someone else does to be honest. I joined Rokslide to try and help other people and look for help myself in a tactful way. I didn't join here to be an asswipe to others because I'm sick of seeing the same things over and over. When that happens, I close the laptop and go do something else. To each their own I guess, I just don't see the point.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I could care less what someone else does to be honest. I joined Rokslide to try and help other people and look for help myself in a tactful way. I didn't join here to be an asswipe to others because I'm sick of seeing the same things over and over. When that happens, I close the laptop and go do something else. To each their own I guess, I just don't see the point.
I grew up in the Southeast. Guys talk freely about where they hunt because it's all private. I grew up a few minutes away from 600k acres of public. Guys didn't say a word about where they were hunting on the public ground. So, they can't use the excuse they didn't realize how they over stepped by asking for spots on a searchable forum. Through PMs, and direct questions even then to show they've done their leg work is another story. But, truth is, 95% will log in and ask, then disappear. If that makes me an ass, then so be it, I spent 12 years in the Marine Corps and I've been called far worse.

jmcd22

WKR
I grew up in the Southeast. Guys talk freely about where they hunt because it's all private. I grew up a few minutes away from 600k acres of public. Guys didn't say a word about where they were hunting on the public ground. So, they can't use the excuse they didn't realize how they over stepped by asking for spots on a searchable forum. Through PMs, and direct questions even then to show they've done their leg work is another story. But, truth is, 95% will log in and ask, then disappear. If that makes me an ass, then so be it, I spent 12 years in the Marine Corps and I've been called far worse.

To each their own I guess. I just don't see the point in bothering if they are just going to disappear.

But looking at your join date as well as cnelk's, I guess I can see where you guys are coming from in being sick of it. I'll just choose to go a different route.

Chill. No offense intended. No hunters are stoked to have new guys in their area is all. Do you want a horde of new guys in your unit? Sure the businesses and state like nonresident hunter dollars.

I help tons of guys on here every year through PMs as do a lot of the old timers here. Lots of nice guys that you hope have good experiences. Sometimes too much with the huge wave of nonresident hunters these days it is what it is.

My unit? I don’t own any unit in any state. That’s great that you help guys, that’s the way it should be. Like I said, I don’t agree with someone joining just to ask for a specific unit to hunt. It probably reflects the effort they would put into the hunt.

But it’s inaccurate to suggest that people don’t want them hunting that state. We were all “new guys in the area” at some point. No one person owns the public lands we enjoy, that’s the beauty of them. We can get mad at people hunting property we actually own.

My unit? I don’t own any unit in any state. That’s great that you help guys, that’s the way it should be. Like I said, I don’t agree with someone joining just to ask for a specific unit to hunt. It probably reflects the effort they would put into the hunt.

But it’s inaccurate to suggest that people don’t want them hunting that state. We were all “new guys in the area” at some point. No one person owns the public lands we enjoy, that’s the beauty of them. We can get mad at people hunting property we actually own.

It’s great you love nonresidents so much. Please let us know what the unit is that you hunt (not your unit). Also, since helping is “the way it should be,” please let me know what drainages you’ve seen the most animals in. Instead of directing nonresidents to any Idaho areas they definitely should be going where you hunt where they can get the best TLC from the guy who lives to serve nonresidents. I talk 20-30 guys per year on this site and others. That won’t be too many, right?

It’s so good to know that guys like you are still out there. 😀

jetsled

FNG
idahohikker is spot on....love it or hate, it's how 90% of us feel. We dont like non-res hunters, period, exclamation point.The over-saturation of non-res hunters has put an extremely sour taste in most of us serious hunters here in Idahos mouths. It's fairly black and white. Sorry. Like was said above, if that makes me an ass, so be it......ps we hate the pony tail Hush'n crew too, just sayin...

Lots of Hate,
Idaho Hunters

cmahoney

WKR
I couldn’t imagine being an Idaho or Colorado resident and dealing with all the nonres traffic. I guess it makes a pile of money for the states to sell OTC tags to non-residents.

It’s great you love nonresidents so much. Please let us know what the unit is that you hunt (not your unit). Also, since helping is “the way it should be,” please let me know what drainages you’ve seen the most animals in. Instead of directing nonresidents to any Idaho areas they definitely should be going where you hunt where they can get the best TLC from the guy who lives to serve nonresidents. I talk 20-30 guys per year on this site and others. That won’t be too many, right?

It’s so good to know that guys like you are still out there.

Love seems like a stretch, guess I’m just not as bitter about them as you are. All of the units I hunt are OTC. Varies from year to year depending on species and my calendar for that year. For elk, I’ll hunt the Alsea, Stott Mt, Willamette, Santiam, McKenzie, Tioga. For deer I’ll hunt Heppner, Fossil, Desolation, Willamette, Santiam.

I can see you’re a guy that operates in black and white with conflicting viewpoints. You help 20-30 guys a year but you hate non-residents? Weird.

I guess you must really hate Rokslide and think it should only exist for the classifieds?

Status
Not open for further replies.