great over the counter units in Idaho? help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 buddies and I are wanting to head to Idaho on an over the counter elk hunt. we are pretty fresh to this elk hunting but have been hunting whitetails in iowa all our lives. which units would you prefer for best opportunity at killing some bulls

jmcd22

WKR
Since you are not able to get boots on the ground, my best advice is to just pick a unit and go. I would warn you that areas in south central Idaho got hit really hard late this winter and suffered some significant winter kill. I have heard that parts of eastern Idaho got hit as well but I do not live over there so I am going off of hear-say. There really are no "units with good opportunities" more so than any other unit in Idaho. If you are going OTC, generally every unit is going to be managed for opportunity so a specific unit really does not matter. These two links are going to be helpful as well as calling the local biologist for the area you choose.

As a resident, I strongly encourage you to grab a wolf tag...or 5... and shoot as many as you can! They are hard to find but we would love the help if you do see one! Good luck and you are free to PM me if you would like help once you have an area narrowed down.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/mapcenter/

https://idfg.idaho.gov/rules/big-game

Sounds like a good idea to ask this but you’re likely to get roasted here and elsewhere. If people told you last years best (if anyone knows), it won’t be next year with all the nonresidents who would flock there. Idaho is getting super crowded with some units doubling in hunter numbers so do your own research and don’t publish on indexed forums.

Probably going to be tough to get guys to recommend any unit because if they like the unit, they're probably hunting it and don't want 5 more nonresidents (and anybody else reading this on the internet) to know about it. My advice would be to do some research and pick a unit and go hunt it. The limiting factor will be your guy's overall inexperience, not the number of elk most likely. Or go on a guided hunt. Just my 2 cents

Usually you can pull 5 bulls out of most of the units on any given trip. It’s a coin toss. I would say avoid a fly in with all that meat it’s going to runnyou $$$$

Edit, just realized it’s you plus 5. Sadly one of you guys is probably going home busted- while you can usually get 5 bulls out of almost all of these units in any given hunt- almot none of them will give up 6 bulls on one hunt.

If you guys split up into 2 camps and hit 2 drainages and all have second tags should be everyone can get one somemguys get two. With 2 camps 10 bulls should be no biggie

Last edited:
OP
G
If 5 of you go and you get one bull on a otc unit that would be super successful. I would start with the Idaho game and fish site and start researching. No one will tell you were to go. To start with rifle or archery.
archery. 3rd week of september

cmahoney

WKR
I'd probably suggest trying out this area if your new, it's a good spot to get your started without having to do a ton of research. 48° 4′ 2″ N, 12° 51′ 49″ E

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I’m always looking for a good starting point in other states. I appreciate the advice but I don’t get all the compass heading numbers and stuff you posted. Is there anyway you could just post the IPhone map link?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G
Since you are not able to get boots on the ground, my best advice is to just pick a unit and go. I would warn you that areas in south central Idaho got hit really hard late this winter and suffered some significant winter kill. I have heard that parts of eastern Idaho got hit as well but I do not live over there so I am going off of hear-say. There really are no "units with good opportunities" more so than any other unit in Idaho. If you are going OTC, generally every unit is going to be managed for opportunity so a specific unit really does not matter. These two links are going to be helpful as well as calling the local biologist for the area you choose.

As a resident, I strongly encourage you to grab a wolf tag...or 5... and shoot as many as you can! They are hard to find but we would love the help if you do see one! Good luck and you are free to PM me if you would like help once you have an area narrowed down.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/mapcenter/

https://idfg.idaho.gov/rules/big-game
we will most definitely get some wolf tags

lif

WKR
I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I’m always looking for a good starting point in other states. I appreciate the advice but I don’t get all the compass heading numbers and stuff you posted. Is there anyway you could just post the IPhone map link? Lol.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G
I agree. I typed it into the computer and couldn't figure out the numbers as well. I understand nobody wants to give the information away and to be honest I totally agree with that. im not asking for anyones honey hole. just a general location for successful opportunities. thanks

GregB

WKR
You can kill an elk in any unit that has an elk season. Guys get so wrapped up in "what unit or area area gives me the best chance". The main thing that determines opportunity is you the hunter, not so much the unit. There are guys that kill elk every year in units with single digit success rates. It doesn't matter how good of an area you are in, if you don't know what you are doing and aren't able or willing to put in the work you won't be successful. I can't remember who posted it but the best advice I have heard on here is, pick a unit pick a mountain and go hunt it. A better question to ask is how do I prepare myself to have the best chance at success? Become a proficient archer, learn to call, learn elk behavior, learn to play the wind and understand thermals, get in shape so you can avoid the roads and trails everyone else is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.