GRITTY - FILM PERMITS - YOUR THOUGHTS?

woods89

WKR
Read page 1,2 and 6.
Synopsis:
-Guy is mad he has to pay fees
-People are mad he has to pay fees
-Other people are mad that he's mad about paying fees.
-Some other people are mad that other people hunt where they hunt on public land.

The end.
Bravo!

I've been a member here for a few years now, and I remember when Brian was the popular guy with this crowd.

As sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives...........

rclouse79

WKR
Read page 1,2 and 6.
Synopsis:
-Guy is mad he has to pay fees
-People are mad he has to pay fees
-Other people are mad that he's mad about paying fees.
-Some other people are mad that other people hunt where they hunt on public land.

The end.
Eloquent synopsis. They should pin this to the top of the thread. It might save some people from wasting 20 minutes of their life.

Squamch

WKR
I remember his episode on how the loss of the bc grizzly hunt was bc resident hunter's fault. I sent him a message to clarify some of the errors and misinformation he had put out, and his response was essentially "I'm all about extreme ownership, and you need to take ownership of what you allowed to happen!"

Sounds like a little regular ownership would be appropriate here. Doesn't even need to be extreme.

I remember his episode on how the loss of the bc grizzly hunt was bc resident hunter's fault. I sent him a message to clarify some of the errors and misinformation he had put out, and his response was essentially "I'm all about extreme ownership, and you need to take ownership of what you allowed to happen!"

Sounds like a little regular ownership would be appropriate here. Doesn't even need to be extreme.
Oh yeah. That was back in the Gritty book club days.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I still think this is all changing... might be some class actions to recoup past fees.

Commercial Filming
Changes to Commercial Filming Permits on Park Land
On January 22, 2021, the US District Court for the District of Columbia issued a decision in Price v. Barr determining the permit and fee requirements applying to commercial filming under 54 USC 100905, 43 CFR Part 5, and 36 CFR Part 5.5 are unconstitutional. The National Park Service is currently determining how this decision will be implemented.

Following the recent court decision, the National Park Service will not be implementing or enforcing the commercial filming portions of 43 CFR Part 5 until further notice, including accepting applications, issuing permits, enforcing the terms and conditions of permits, issuing citations related to permits, or collecting cost recovery and location fees for commercial filming activities.

As regulations regarding commercial filming permits are being reassessed, those interested in commercial filming activities on land managed by the National Park Service are encouraged to contact the park directly for more information about filming in the park and to discuss how to minimize potential impacts to visitors and sensitive park resources.

Do I need a permit to film?
Currently, the National Park Service is not issuing commercial filming permits, but is in the process of evaluating how best to regulate filming activities that affect visitors and park resources. All applicable laws and regulations governing activities and public use in parks still apply, including park hours and areas open and closed to the public. Videographers, filmers, producers, directors, and other staff associated with commercial filming are reminded that rules and regulations that apply to all park visitors still apply to filming activities even if no permit is needed for their activity. Check with the park staff for more information on closures, sensitive resources, and other safety tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He makes the best videos out there. And, is as hardcore a hunter as I’ve ever watched. I don’t know why it’s become so popular to bash him. I know he’s had his differences with Aron. Of which I think would be an awesome guy to hunt with too. I just see what I partake as a frat boy gathering when there is an opportunity to trash him.

I’m not surprised though. It’s the way of the internet. Talk a big game about someone when there is no way to reconcile it.

He might be the biggest jerk in the world. I don’t know. But, he sure doesn’t come off that way to me.

As far as buying a permit to film, I’m all for it. As long as the hikers, bikers, backpackers, and bird watchers have to as well. But, the government has never been interested in being consistent at anything except fleecing the hunters and fisherman utilizing public owned land.

Im a small business that has to play by the government rules every day.
You’ve said that about 13 times now. You want a Pat on the back for that? Or, would qualifying for the jealous-loud mouth award something you’d rather have?

I don’t know what your problem is or how you manage to run a business after demonstrating your Inability to accept things out of your control. The one thing I do know is your contempt for the guy is obvious. And, you’ve undoubtably got to me a member of the BHA cult.

Chad E

WKR
Anyone who thinks this is an honest mistake should read this old thread and listen to the podcast associated with it.

He knew what he was doing.

You’ve said that about 13 times now. You want a Pat on the back for that? Or, would qualifying for the jealous-loud mouth award something you’d rather have?

I don’t know what your problem is or how you manage to run a business after demonstrating your Inability to accept things out of your control. The one thing I do know is your contempt for the guy is obvious. And, you’ve undoubtably got to me a member of the BHA cult.
You should not speak of people you have no idea about. I do not post my video on the internet for everyone to judge.

Bulldawg

WKR
The biggest difference is that outfitter permits are not available, you can't go down to your local forest service station and request a permit to outfit, I guess you can but you will more than likely be turned down. The permits you basically have to purchase or inherit from the current holders. So it is very different ball game. And someone else stated as well outfitters have to purchase use days, for every person they take out, grazing days for livestock, pay for permits for camps, and a few other things I'm probably forgetting.

Why is one industry allowed to profit off of public lands at will basically but one is heavily regulated and has a very large entry fee to get in and perform a service? One big downside that I know happens is that this allows very poor guide services to flourish, nobody can come in and compete with them because the government doesn't allow it.

I'll take a stab at it......From what i can find, it costs an outfitter 3% of their adjusted gross revenue to use national forest land. So let's say an average guided elk hunt is 5k in Idaho. The outfitter would owe $150 per paid hunt he takes out. I would say that is small change in the grand scheme of costs. Brian would have to pay a $10 fee per day he uses public land. It seems like most of his hunts are 10 days, and I'm going to guess that he averages 80 days of hunting/filming a year for a total of $800. Still not a huge sum of money in the grand scheme of things. The only issue i see is that the process/way the law is written and enforced is absolute garbage. I don't think Brian is "blowing out public land". He rarely even says what state he is hunting. Does he market products....yes....but in my opinion does it subtly. If you're upset about brian, born and raised, and hushin "exploiting" public land, hop on over to patagonia and rei and see what their business model is based around. Their whole business model is getting out and hiking ON PUBLIC LAND. Hunters have so little impact on public land and the destruction to habitat compared to your everyday thru-hiker. It seems like your issue lies in more hunters getting into "backcountry" hunting. Look at the amount of views Brians videos get....then go look at Darwin on the trail. Brian has 6 million views vs darwin on the trail having 33 million. You think darwin on the trail is pulling permits in order to hike the whole PCT?( It averages 150 days to do, so $1500 to film and monetize it)....i highly doubt it. Do you think the USFS is going after all these "thru-hikers" and outdoor companies who film on public land....again, I doubt it. Should he have gotten the permits....yeah sure.....is it dumb that someone has to pay in order to self film a hunt....yes. Again, it seems like your issue is not the permits, but these guys getting more and more people out into the backcountry.

Has anyone every tried to get a film permit? The government charges over $100 dollars A DAY for one man to film with a camera PLUS a processing fee for submitting the paperwork. That adds up really quick. GRITTY content won't be free online for much longer because of the government and their outdated rules. As for making a profit, I'm sure he pays out of pocket for a lot. Sponsors don't pay near what you think they do.

His first post on the subject was that he knew of the permits, but said his filming wasn’t commercial. If his filming isn’t commercial then what is he doing for a job? It’s fully a component of his “business “. I’m not about to give him a listen to hear his thoughts on it
Have you ever posted a video on YouTube and gotten paid? It's pennies, if anything at all. Not listening to the podcast because you don't like the guy... its petty.

It’s hard for someone who listened to all the early gritty podcasts where humble Brian drove convos and created some awesome content with Snyder and saw it become what it did 2+ years ago (couldn’t stomach it anymore, not sure what it is now) to give Brian the benefit of the doubt on much.

The reason Snyder is not on any podcasts with Brian is because he's jealous and burned that bridge.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Has anyone every tried to get a film permit? The government charges over $100 dollars A DAY for one man to film with a camera PLUS a processing fee for submitting the paperwork. That adds up really quick. GRITTY content won't be free online for much longer because of the government and their outdated rules. As for making a profit, I'm sure he pays out of pocket for a lot. Sponsors don't pay near what you think they do.
Lol, then don’t do it. It’s pretty easy. You know the cost. Pay or don’t pay, but don’t be surprised or upset if you get caught.

no different than speeding. You know the speed limit, if you decide to break it and get caught then you deal with it. The alternative is to follow the rules.

I've applied for a National Park film permit before to be able to do some wildlife filming in Yellowstone for YouTube. It was a nightmarish process that was time consuming, expensive, and very restrictive. For example, we could only film within a 1/2 mile of the road (no backcountry filming), and if you wanted to speak into a camera (besides just B roll) you had to either be filming in a campground or pay to have a national park media host stand there and watch you do it. It was a pain, but they do it because so many people otherwise film (and inspire) bad behavior in the park. For example, I'm sure we all can picture the news person getting out of their car right in front of a buffalo to "get the shot," thus encouraging others to do the same. Film permits are required to prevent media from inspiring others to do unethical behavior in special places. Not saying I'm for or against it, but the rational seems to make sense.

wayoh22

WKR
Have you ever posted a video on YouTube and gotten paid? It's pennies, if anything at all. Not listening to the podcast because you don't like the guy... its petty.
The reason Snyder is not on any podcasts with Brian is because he's jealous and burned that bridge.
This guy might be Gritty, post history checks out