Yeti Purchases Mystery Ranch

CroMagnum

FNG
So I just read this in my news feed and have my own opinion but wanted to know what your thoughts are. Do you think this will ultimately be viewed as a win for the hunting consumer?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Was using MR packs back in my army days circa 2008 or so. Picked up the nice and guide lite frames because of discounts and they served me well. Not sure where yeti will take them, never been a yeti fan boy but have received a solid amount of free yeti swag over the years their stuff seems solid over priced for sure, which why I wasn’t buying it haha ill take a cater gator cooler for 1/3 of the cost and 3x the capacity … if I was in the market for a new hunting pack that K4 looks hard to beat though

OP
C

CroMagnum

FNG
Was using MR packs back in my army days circa 2008 or so. Picked up the nice and guide lite frames because of discounts and they served me well. Not sure where yeti will take them, never been a yeti fan boy but have received a solid amount of free yeti swag over the years their stuff seems solid over priced for sure, which why I wasn’t buying it haha ill take a cater gator cooler for 1/3 of the cost and 3x the capacity … if I was in the market for a new hunting pack that K4 looks hard to beat though
Yep. My army ruck experience varied between MR and Eberlestock. Now those Mystery Ranch waterproof packs that hit the market a few months ago is all starting to make sense. They do look amazingly like Yeti bags

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like Dana Gleason hit a home run ball. Good for him, probably ready to retire. While I like Dana Design packs, I never cared for MR. When Dana sold Dana Design to K2, it was only a matter of a few years until they destroyed it. I wonder whether history will repeat itself?

feanor

WKR
Meateater tried to buy them, but Steve said he wanted to have a nuanced conversation, and yeti passed.

Last edited:

tony

WKR
Wow, that's business I guess.
Probably hell of a pay out. Look to see MR get ridiculous products now

I’m far more concerned with a company seemingly as narcissistic as yeti trying to make fire packs than their hunting or EDC packs. I don’t see this as a win for R&D of MR packs in general but fear the most for the fire line.

OP
C

CroMagnum

FNG
I’m far more concerned with a company seemingly as narcissistic as yeti trying to make fire packs than their hunting or EDC packs. I don’t see this as a win for R&D of MR packs in general but fear the most for the fire line.
Agreed. While I understand this was a business decision and Dana could just have been ready to sell, I view this deal as a net loss for the Mystery Ranch consumer base.

Marble

WKR
Man, you guys are just brutal. The ink hasn't dried yet and you're already hating on them.

Hydroflask purchased Osprey this last year, widening their reach and their brand. In order to stay competitive, Yeti beleived they needed to do the same thing. If Yeti operates Mystery Ranch like it has Yeti, it will florish and be complimentary.

Yeti makes a great product. Seems they were the original maker of this newest style of ice chest. Seems overpriced to me in general. But people keep buying them.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Man, you guys are just brutal. The ink hasn't dried yet and you're already hating on them.

Hydroflask purchased Osprey this last year, widening their reach and their brand. In order to stay competitive, Yeti beleived they needed to do the same thing. If Yeti operates Mystery Ranch like it has Yeti, it will florish and be complimentary.

Yeti makes a great product. Seems they were the original maker of this newest style of ice chest. Seems overpriced to me in general. But people keep buying them.

To be fair I’m not really hating on anyone. I expected DG to retire a while ago, and yeti… despite the “cheeseballness” of their image makes an acceptably good cooler that is competitively priced with other rotos. I also don’t really care what happens to MR hunting and edc packs. I say that as a long time user of both, and still prefer a pintler on a Mr frame to every other pack made right now for hunting. My fear is when a cooler company that specializes most in marketing to saltwater fly fishermen takes on the production of serious packs we take into fires. Historically when big buyouts like this happen it doesn’t swing in favor of the consumer, sometimes it does but most often not. If they blow it on edc packs so what, if they start making fire shelter boxes that they don’t get right, or a pack itself fails there’s potential for serious consequences

tony

WKR
No hate from me, congrats to Dana. I'm sure he was doing well financially anyway, this just cements his retirement.
I just have always found yeti, I don't know, kind of douchey. True I've never needed a $600.00 ice chest, my old igloos do what I need. I just watched reviews and bought a wal mart knock off for a 1/4 of the the price. I'm sure they are all made in the same oversea factory anyway.
I'll give their marketing dept. props though. They really convinced a few of my friends they needed thousands of dollars in yeti coolers.
None of us know the future of MR with yeti at the wheel. Hope they let them do their thing and make a good pack for firefighters, hunters and backpackers.

Yeti was earlier than some but far from the first. Engel beat them by decades. Yeti did a great job of marketing though and successfully cultivated their image as the OG bougie cooler brand.

Mojave

WKR

They are not the original maker. They have had rotomolded coolers in Australia for at least 15 years prior to the start of Yeti. Yeti's founder said he saw one on an international trip, and started the company on that.