Hate to beat a dead horse here...OTC unit questions regarding stats

otcWill

FNG
To answer your first question, no I don't worry about success stats. But, if I wasn't getting into elk at least every couple days I'd move. The key for you this season will be being mobile. Pick out more spots than you could possibly check out within your hunting time and just keep moving and hunting hard until you find the elk. More times than not, a hard working hunter with this strategy will eventually strike gold. Good luck!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And yes, I'm coming to realize that we didn't cover enough ground. Again, we thought we were in some elk (poop but no so fresh now that I look back), wallows which seemed fresh, and beds in the meadows. We now realize that we will need to be doing a lot more walking and earlier and later in the day. I can't complain too much for our first time hunting out west. We had a blast.

I'm willing to bet that most guys walk past more elk in a season than they actually see or hear.

I'm very inexperienced but, her has been my experience. Elk are where you find them. Elevation has little to do with it unless everyone abides by the elk are high in the early season reasoning. Then you can bet your last dollar they won't be above treeline for long. In the unit my friends and I have hunted several times, we depend on other hunters abiding by the treeline theory. By the time muzzleloader is underway, the elk are always way lower in that area. Because most hunters go by the theory early elk are high. So stay flexible, invest in a good mapping application designed for hunting, and be mindful of where the majority of other hunters around you are hunting. If there are a lot, find their access points, then find the deepest, steepest, nastiest hole you can find that makes sense for those pressured elk to go to. And, kill an elk. It's worked well. Of the 7 we had with us on the first trip, we all shot elk and brought 5 home. Following year I didn't go but of the 5 who did, 4 killed elk. Following year, two out of 4 of us that went, killed elk and, the other two passed on cows. So, that theory seems to be working good for us in a very heavily hunted, popular unit. God Bless

You guys looking to add another to your group? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bz_711

WKR
I made a post a few months back questioning if my buddy and I should return to unit 15 (Colorado). We backpacked into the Sarvis Creek Wilderness area but unfortunately could not get into the elk. The general consensus in that post was that we should return since we are somewhat familiar with that unit/area.

I know some don't put a lot of stock into the stats that CO puts out each year but it's about the only thing I have to go by in starting to find a place to hunt. Since that post, the 2016 stats were posted and unit 15 had a 5% success rate during the archery season. Do you guys normally ignore that fact when determining a place to hunt? I know this can change from year to year but 5% is a little disheartening, right? I also think I read that the Sarvis Creek wilderness is the only wilderness that is all below tree line. We were the highest we could be in that area (10,400'). Should we be looking somewhere else that has higher ground?

One other question. I was looking around on the hunting atlas and units 12 & 24 caught my eye and both are part of the Flat Tops Wilderness (24 is majority wilderness). The only kicker is that these units aren't OTC. The unit map says they are "Valid, private land only" units. I guess I'm curious as to why these are private land only when they have a lot of wilderness area land in them?

Thanks
Donnie

Donnie,
Are you guys heading back after elk for sure this year?...just curious...

Also - are you 100% set on backpacking after them? One other option might be to truck camp the first few days - in my opinion this allows you to cover more ground than backpacking for a couple reasons: 1) you can cover and hunt much easier with just day supplies on your back and not your whole camp 2) each morning and evening hunt can be trying a totally new spot. Sure you can put extra miles on heading back to truck after each hunt, but if you plan your steps wisely you can continue to see new ground right up until you are back at road...and might find that overlooked hot spot close to the road.
Just another option to consider...could still have packs ready to head in deeper if you don't see anything you like the first couple days.
Others have given great advice, hunt according to the other hunters/pressure just as much as you are looking for elk. Especially in OTC units with pressure, listening for bugles is not usually going to be very productive...just need to find those safe havens and then creep slowly through them with wind in face.

Good Luck...no matter what, it's sure fun trying to figure it out!

Thomas11

WKR
I've hunted 15 once archery elk. Never again. Worst elk hunt I've ever been on. Now I'm sure others prolly have success there but it wasn't my style of hunting. My complaint was the same as yours. You can't get above tree line to see anything! And if they aren't talking and u can't spot and stalk either then I'm not sure how u really get in the game. Also the archery hunt has roughly 1000 ppl every yr. That's a lot even for a OTC unit. Success rates for muzzleloader and 1st rifle are terrible as well for that unit as per toprut. Did I mention the deadfall as well. Lots of hunters and terrible success rates across the board would tell me to try elsewhere. I've hunted another unit in CO at higher elevations above tree line and had less ppl and more elk to play with.

Whip

WKR
10% of elk hunters kill 90% of the elk. Put yourself in the 10% group with hard work and knowledge and published success rates don't mean much. 90% of the hunters will have success rates barely above zero. The other 10% of hunters will be enjoying 50% and higher success rates.

You guys looking to add another to your group? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe. I can't seem to get the group to go anymore. Backed out this year. I need some help with expenses so, after the way they handled this year, I was already thinking of finding different guys to make a new group. As 1200 miles of driving one's self doubles the cost and shortens the hunt by 4 days. If you are serious, PM me. God Bless

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Are you guys heading back after elk for sure this year?...just curious...

Also - are you 100% set on backpacking after them? One other option might be to truck camp the first few days - in my opinion this allows you to cover more ground than backpacking for a couple reasons: 1) you can cover and hunt much easier with just day supplies on your back and not your whole camp 2) each morning and evening hunt can be trying a totally new spot. Sure you can put extra miles on heading back to truck after each hunt, but if you plan your steps wisely you can continue to see new ground right up until you are back at road...and might find that overlooked hot spot close to the road.
Just another option to consider...could still have packs ready to head in deeper if you don't see anything you like the first couple days.
Others have given great advice, hunt according to the other hunters/pressure just as much as you are looking for elk. Especially in OTC units with pressure, listening for bugles is not usually going to be very productive...just need to find those safe havens and then creep slowly through them with wind in face.

Good Luck...no matter what, it's sure fun trying to figure it out!

Matt

Yes, we are definitely heading back out this year. We are pulling out of VA on Sept 2. I like your idea about truck camping and have been thinking about this more and more. We aren't 100% set on backpacking in and staying the whole week as we could have a base camp at the truck and spike out if we need to. Just to be clear though, we backpacked in last year and set up camp and headed out each morning. So we didn't have our full packs during the day while hunting. I would think that would add a whole other element to the hunt. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I've hunted 15 once archery elk. Never again. Worst elk hunt I've ever been on. Now I'm sure others prolly have success there but it wasn't my style of hunting. My complaint was the same as yours. You can't get above tree line to see anything! And if they aren't talking and u can't spot and stalk either then I'm not sure how u really get in the game. Also the archery hunt has roughly 1000 ppl every yr. That's a lot even for a OTC unit. Success rates for muzzleloader and 1st rifle are terrible as well for that unit as per toprut. Did I mention the deadfall as well. Lots of hunters and terrible success rates across the board would tell me to try elsewhere. I've hunted another unit in CO at higher elevations above tree line and had less ppl and more elk to play with.

You said it better than I could! Would love to hear how others would approach this. I know what's already been said could probably be applied here but would like to hear anyway.

Thomas11

WKR
Here's what I would do, the NW units have the most ppl hunting. I'd prolly stay away from that area personally. 10% of the hunters may kill 90% of the elk but no sense in making it harder than it already is! I think there are better places to choose. I'm saying some of the more centrally located units maybe along the divide that possibly border some limited entry units in the high country. I would pick a unit in advance OTC. But I would def wait till August and see what reissued tags are available. Very possible u could pick up a tag that normally takes a few points to draw and have less competition. That would be my plan

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Thomas... makes sense. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
Yes, this year you can get a 4 point unit tag as a leftover and it takes no points to get it. Pretty good deal if you time it right.

Thomas11

WKR
Yes, this year you can get a 4 point unit tag as a leftover and it takes no points to get it. Pretty good deal if you time it right.
I did this last year. Not a four point unit but it was a draw unit. Had a good hunt but at the end I didn't kill a bull. Had 2 within bow range but just no shot

Bar

Banned
I did this last year. Not a four point unit but it was a draw unit. Had a good hunt but at the end I didn't kill a bull. Had 2 within bow range but just no shot

Sounds like you had fun. That's what's important.

Bar

Banned
There you go. I'd rather elk hunt than anything else I do in life.

I'm so mad this year that the Pass I cross to my hunting area is closed this year. I was so upset I didn't even put in for a tag. Now i'm at the mercy of a leftover tag near me.

Thomas11

WKR
There you go. I'd rather elk hunt than anything else I do in life.

I'm so mad this year that the Pass I cross to my hunting area is closed this year. I was so upset I didn't even put in for a tag. Now i'm at the mercy of a leftover tag near me.
That's crazy! No other way to get there other than that pass?

Bar

Banned
There's a long way around, but I don't camp anymore because of my age. So, I drive every morning to a hunting area. It's only 25min over the pass, but many hours to go around. Too much to do everyday. It would ruin the hunt to do that much driving everyday. 25 min is perfect. I can have a cup of coffee on the way and think about the upcoming hunt. I enjoy the drive.

Tejasbow

FNG
dangit Bar. Glad you posted that. I had to google to figure out which pass you were refering to. Headed up to Chalk Creek for the Family vacation a week from Tomorrow and that cuts me off from my favorite trout streams.