• Gold tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easton 4mm Axis

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at new arrows. I have always shot gold tip mostly due to their durability. In your experience which of the arrows in the poll are best. I am sure they are all great arrows but maybe one has proven to be more durable than the others. I feel like all of them will fly well given that they are all high end arrows. Any other advantages/disadvantages?

cured_ham

WKR
Component system is usually more important than arrow (unless you buy GARBAGE arrows). I can put a crappy component on any arrow and ruin it. Especially with 4mm.

Going to be hard to find someone who has shot all those.

Axis seem to be a favorite around here, although the 4mm have component issues. The kinetic pierce are good shafts but I have seen their half-outs bend, which will happen with most any of the halfouts.

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Going to be hard to find someone who has shot all those.

Axis seem to be a favorite around here, although the 4mm have component issues. The kinetic pierce are good shafts but I have seen their half-outs bend, which will happen with most any of the halfouts.
Very good point. I will gladly take individual experience with one of them. When you mention the component issue with 4mm, is that for just outserts/inserts, etc. or does that include broadheads as well?

From what I've read it seems like while the gold tip shafts are good, the components are not so good.
Component system is usually more important than arrow (unless you buy GARBAGE arrows). I can put a crappy component on any arrow and ruin it. Especially with 4mm.

At this point (I haven't done all of my research yet) I plan to look into some sort of component system like Iron Will or something else of higher quality.

rclouse79

WKR
I started with Gold TIp and liked them. When I got my new bow I trusted the shop to set me up with an arrow. They gave me carbon express and said something about them having a dynamic spine which allows them to work over a wide range of draw length and weights. What a bunch of crap. That arrow was not tunable out of my bow. I went to the 260 axis with a 75 grain insert and have loved them.

The 4mm are what many call a "micro" diameter. Might do some searching on the components they use. Iron Will has just come out with a component system that might help.

I don't get into these small diameter shafts. I'd maybe use a .204 diameter with the hit system, but overall I don't feel like the juice is worth the squeeze.

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I started with Gold TIp and liked them. When I got my new bow I trusted the shop to set me up with an arrow. They gave me carbon express and said something about them having a dynamic spine which allows them to work over a wide range of draw length and weights. What a bunch of crap. That arrow was not tunable out of my bow. I went to the 260 axis with a 75 grain insert and have loved them.
I am currently running some Gold tip XT Hunter arrows and have liked them a lot! I switched to them from carbon express back about 7 or so years ago. I broke the carbon express arrows too easily so when I ran out I didn't go back to them.
The 4mm are what many call a "micro" diameter. Might do some searching on the components they use. Iron Will has just come out with a component system that might help.

I don't get into these small diameter shafts. I'd maybe use a .204 diameter with the hit system, but overall I don't feel like the juice is worth the squeeze.
This is what I am wanting to learn more about. I like the new Iron Will stuff they just came out with, but after watching Aaron Snyder's video, it is my understanding that the tips will need to be glued in so I would not be able to swap from field tip to broadhead like I do now. I don't know if I will like running it that way. I have some "regular" diameter arrows now. Maybe the .204 diameter will be a good in between diameter?

wayoh22

WKR
Really depends on what your goals are and what you want out of an arrow. A lot of good minds in this forum that'd be willing to help if you gave more information on your setup than just asking what's the best

You don't need to glue the broadheads in with the new Iron Will system, I'm assuming it will make it stronger. You will need to use their practice points. I'm pretty certain that the insert is still a deep six, just used deeper in the shaft. I haven't followed it much.

The .204 shafts are pretty popular. You can still use regular broadheads and points with the hit system. I'd use that rather than any of the halfouts. Look at axis 5mm and Rampage shafts. If using a hit you will definitely want to make sure the end of the shaft is squared.

I'd ask yourself what your current diameter isn't doing for you. The gold tip hunters are a good all around shaft. I use them some, just the pro's for a straighter shaft.

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
You don't need to glue the broadheads in with the new Iron Will system, I'm assuming it will make it stronger. You will need to use their practice points. I'm pretty certain that the insert is still a deep six, just used deeper in the shaft. I haven't followed it much.

The .204 shafts are pretty popular. You can still use regular broadheads and points with the hit system. I'd use that rather than any of the halfouts. Look at axis 5mm and Rampage shafts. If using a hit you will definitely want to make sure the end of the shaft is squared.

I'd ask yourself what your current diameter isn't doing for you. The gold tip hunters are a good all around shaft. I use them some, just the pro's for a straighter shaft.
That's good, I would be much more comfortable with not having to glue them in.
It seems like the HIT system is the way to go. I've read where a lot of people didn't like the halfouts but preferred the hit system.

With the arrows I am shooting now, I am on the edge of having a weak spine. Because of that I have only been using 100 grain broadheads because if I put more weight up front it will bump me into having a weak spine. This is according to gold tip's spine chart.
ALSO (primary reason for me getting new arrows), if I use the Black Ovis ArrowID builder I can get these arrows for free. The ones I listed seem to be the best arrows available in the spine I want (250).
Looking back on it, I can get the 5mm axis with a 260 spine.. That could be the one.

Last edited:
I shoot a 5mm Axis in four fletch with a 300 spine and it has been a great arrow, they are durable and penetrate better than a normal diameter hunting arrow.

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 5mm Axis in four fletch with a 300 spine and it has been a great arrow, they are durable and penetrate better than a normal diameter hunting arrow.
Glad to hear this. I am leaning toward the 5mm axis right now.

Zac

WKR
I chose the Airstrike only because it is a 5mm. I really don't see any reason for shooting micros in hunting scenarios unless you are going to use the new Snyder Core, or Valkyrie center pin system.

nphunter

WKR
If you do decide to use the 4mm shafts I would personally just go with the D6 HIT's. They are limited as far as selection but IMO you really are putting all of your eggs in one basket going with something like the snider core system. You literally would only have 1 choice for field tips and broadhead and that is a very expensive choice to boot.

The D6 system works great in real life hunting and the 4mm shafts are durable as well, I shot the Easton Injexions, Easton A/C Injexions and VAP Elites all with Easton D6 inserts and they worked great. Personally, I would purchase IW heavy D6 inserts and collars if I were to build another set and put them in some Eason Pro Comp Aluminum core 4mm arrows. I've killed several elk and deer with multiple different D6 broadheads and never had a single failure though so just using the D6 HIT's is a good option.

I would look at what heads you want to shoot before deciding and see if they offer a D6 version. When I stopped shooting 4mm stuff there were not a lot of heads available.

Probably my favorite arrow I've shot is the Easton A/C injexion when they made it, It was pretty much a skinny A/C/C and very similar to the new pro comp. If they made the pro comp when I switched I would have probably stayed with the 4mm. The A/C was only available in a 330 spine which is why I moved to the VAP, the problem at the time with the VAP was trying to get point weight up without an outsert. Since IW has created some great components and IMO a person could build some pretty awesome 4mm shafts with those components.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt anything on the planet with a D6 outfitted head.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to the gold tip .204 ID arrows last year, first time with a smaller diameter and outserts. I hate them. Pulling any arrow backwards out of a target is much more difficult because of the extra lip.

If you like to shoot and practice, I recommend sticking with the full diameter setups. The benefit of the skinny shaft just doesn't outweigh the hassle, especially with the extra components.

cured_ham

WKR
Another .166 option that may be better than Deep Six is the Day Six components. A lot of the time you can look at the OD of their shafts, find the matching one for your shaft, and then choose the corresponding outsert system. That will give you most flexibility.

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of your responses. Y'all brought up excellent points to consider. I am glad I asked. I would still be stuck in my indecisiveness if I hadn't.

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I would purchase IW heavy D6 inserts and collars if I were to build another set and put them in some Eason Pro Comp Aluminum core 4mm arrows.
Is this the same as the Iron Will Reinforced HIT system on their website? With the .166 inner diameter selected?

Would you go with the IW HIT system over the factory insert (Easton) for a .204 ID arrow?

Joshk358

FNG
I am kinda old school on this. I bought a few dozen Easton ST Epics, a 6mm shaft because I got a smoking deal on camofire a yr or 2 ago. 300 spine. I think it pre dates the Axis. These have been awesome. I shoot 3D and hunt with them. Not sure if any of the newer shaft have any real world advantage over some of the larger diameter shafts (for what I do anyway). Heck, Easton is now making the 6.5 mm arrow/shafts. I understand the smaller diameter shafts are suppose to penetrate better, but I don't know. My 2 cents, which may not actually be worth anything. LOL.

OP
cburgin72

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I am kinda old school on this. I bought a few dozen Easton ST Epics, a 6mm shaft because I got a smoking deal on camofire a yr or 2 ago. 300 spine. I think it pre dates the Axis. These have been awesome. I shoot 3D and hunt with them. Not sure if any of the newer shaft have any real world advantage over some of the larger diameter shafts (for what I do anyway). Heck, Easton is now making the 6.5 mm arrow/shafts. I understand the smaller diameter shafts are suppose to penetrate better, but I don't know. My 2 cents, which may not actually be worth anything. LOL.
LOL it's helpful. I appreciate it!

I have the standard diameter shafts now. These new arrows won't cost me anything so I am wanting to try something a little different.