Helinox Cot and sleep pad advice.

duckhunterrr

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice from helinox users. I currently sleep on sleep pads during my back country hunt trips. I purchased a helinox to use this year. Swing there is no insulated protection, I wanted to ask users if u guys use any form of pad on top of cot or go directly without. I’ll be using this in Colorado mid October in my SO redcliff. Thanks in advance.

BBob

WKR
I don’t have a lightweight cot but if I did I’d use a pad like I do with a larger base camp cot. I couldn’t imaging not using a pad for the insulation and comfort. A straight cot isn’t going to be as comfortable as with a pad.

17Hunter

FNG
AZ is right. I suffered thru the 1st 5 nights of a 10 day colorado elk hunt in Sept a few years ago without a pad on my cot. Highly recommend it.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
A pad will be essential in October. I prefer foam on my little cot (not helinox but similar size) to an air pad. Take the pad you have and test it out. My air pad is wider than my cot which cause me some issues.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I have that same cot, Like everybody else says no insulation underneath it makes for a cold night sleep.

AKDoc

WKR
Use a pad with a high R value. Otherwise you will get cold.
Absolutely right on...^^^^^this is a must do.

I really like sleeping on a lite cot when living in the tent for a couple of weeks on a hunt....I have a Helinox and before that a Thermarest lite. You're going to enjoy the difference, but you MUST have a good pad with higher R-value in colder temps...especially critical if using a down bag.

I use a cot quite a bit during the rifle seasons in Colorado and the cot of choice is a Helinox. I use a foam pad instead of an air mat. I also use two quilts, both 30*. I put the down quilt inside my synthetic and have slept down to the single digits with no issue.

AKDoc

WKR
I prefer an inflatable pad due to it's compactness when deflated and rolled-up...definitely make sure you have the inflation bag that comes with many of the options out there...sure makes inflating it a better deal.

I've primarily used a NeoAir Xlite (r=4.2) for quite a few years...temps down into the mid/high teens at the lowest. My son got me a Nemo Insulated Tensor for Christmas a couple years ago (r=3.5) I like the Tensor a bunch...have used it into the low twenties/high teens so far with no noticeable chill at night (FYI...I'm a warm sleeper). Had an Exped XP-9 (down) for a few years, but gave it to my daughter for sheep hunts together with me...she sleeps colder, and that is a very warm pad (r=8.0)...she kept it!

All the aforementioned fit on the Helinox Lite cot just fine.