Help! need to order boots ASAP

ScottinPA

WKR
I have a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX I bought in 2016. Use them for hunting and hiking only. I've been doing some training hikes this summer to get ready for MT archery elk. Well they are breaking down fast. Not comfortable with a 40+ lb pack and starting to separate. Looking for replacement recommendations.

I do have a pair of La Sportiva Karakarum that I've worn the past few hikes. They'll work but are stiffer than I need.

Leave for MT in 4 wks.

Any thoughts on the La Sportiva TXS GTX?

fishslap

WKR
I can’t answer your specific question but I can recommend lowa renegades for a sturdy but very flexible boot that will break in fast. They run a bit small. I’ve been using scarpa kailash gtx trek and really like them. They will break in fast also. Just a little stiffer than the lowas but very flexible and a quality boot. They run a bit large. I also have the kailash pro leather version but I haven’t worn them yet. They offer a bit more support and will likely stay waterproof longer if the leather is treated properly. I hope this helps.

GPool1842

WKR
What size do you need? I began breaking in the Hanwag Makra past few weeks and really like. Don’t know anything about the La Sportiva.

Brendan

WKR
If the Salomon was overall a good boot for you and you like the same general category but want better quality: Go to BlackOvis, use the current discount code, buy a set of Crispi Thor II GTX. My experience with Crispi has been great breaking in fast.

Wouldn't be my choice for a cold/wet weather boot, or with a bunch of snow, but great archery season boot.

OP
ScottinPA

ScottinPA

WKR
I wear a 40.5 or size 8.

Actually I was going thru my stuff and found an old pair of Danner Grouse boots with some life left. Given I don't have a lot of time, I'll take them along.

Still looking at your recommendations as I'll be replacing the Salomons.

If the Salomon was overall a good boot for you and you like the same general category but want better quality: Go to BlackOvis, use the current discount code, buy a set of Crispi Thor II GTX. My experience with Crispi has been great breaking in fast.

Wouldn't be my choice for a cold/wet weather boot, or with a bunch of snow, but great archery season boot.

I had pair of Crispi Thor, returned them the next day because the toe box was very tight for me. There is another thread here about the Wyoming, is the toe box wider or not type of question.

I'm new, whats the BlackOvis code? ( Rokslide )

Brendan

WKR
I had pair of Crispi Thor, returned them the next day because the toe box was very tight for me. There is another thread here about the Wyoming, is the toe box wider or not type of question.

I'm new, whats the BlackOvis code? ( Rokslide )

Guessing you have a very wide forefoot then. I have a reasonably flat foot, definitely not narrow, and have no issues with the toe box on the Thor, I do wear standard medium width boots though. I think all of their boots are available in a wide if you need it. Make sure you size up half a size though like any boot to make sure you get enough room for toes to prevent toe-bang with lots of downhills.

There's another thread going on now in the forum about the code if you search. Saw it pop up yesterday.

Guessing you have a very wide forefoot then. I have a reasonably flat foot, definitely not narrow, and have no issues with the toe box on the Thor, I do wear standard medium width boots though. I think all of their boots are available in a wide if you need it. Make sure you size up half a size though like any boot to make sure you get enough room for toes to prevent toe-bang with lots of downhills.

There's another thread going on now in the forum about the code if you search. Saw it pop up yesterday.

According to the RedWing dealer no, he said I had a narrow 14. Perhaps the Crispi Thor runs a little short.

I found that code, now I'm running numbers and comparing prices. Haha