Help with career change

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the question I would ask is whether you want to do physical labor or direct others to do physical labor? Short term to start your own business will require labor in the trades but long term can create more managing of people and jobs. Any trade will be in high demand and can lead to your own business if you take the risk. Just don’t try to get too big for your britches if you know what I mean. Good luck

Like everyone has said the trades are hurting for young people who want to work. I’m a drywall contractor and right now if someone is half decent and shows up regularly it’s a win. Most guys miss a day or two a week and end up not making it. I’d recommend electrician or elevator mechanic. I know elevator mechanics make damn good money. Selfishly I’d tell you to get into drywall and come work for me just cause I need employees!

Land Surveying. They are in demand throughout the country. It's very diverse. You can spend a career working outside, in the office or a mix of both. Fly drones, Autocad, GPS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Land Surveying. They are in demand throughout the country. It's very diverse. You can spend a career working outside, in the office or a mix of both. Fly drones, Autocad, GPS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That’s one discipline that I would love to learn. It’s ridiculously incredible how in demand they are in the Boise area.

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
This really has to be guided for the outcomes you want. What is the end goal for your life and what does that look like?
If a guy wanted to start his own company and live in a small town, the building trades are a great way to get there. You may never get rich, but you’ll have all the work you ever want.
This sounds like a great life to me. My fiancé and I aren’t into the “new and shiny” things. We are fine with a smaller home, used vehicles. I’m glad we are on the same page about it. I just know we want kids And my main concern would be able to afford our bills so she could stay home with them for a couple of years.

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
I guess the question I would ask is whether you want to do physical labor or direct others to do physical labor? Short term to start your own business will require labor in the trades but long term can create more managing of people and jobs. Any trade will be in high demand and can lead to your own business if you take the risk. Just don’t try to get too big for your britches if you know what I mean. Good luck
I haven’t thought that far ahead but it’s probably good for me to consider. If I’m honest it would be nice to eventually have my own company and be my own boss. I guess who wouldn’t like that?

Maybe look into electrician. That way you can live in probably most any town in the US and have the ability to be your own boss - that is huge in today's working world.

As a welder, you will be destined to work in certain areas and in certain atmospheres - heavy construction/structural steel, energy processing, overhauls/outages, etc. Avoid union halls like the plague. Don't settle on working in a manufacturing environment, power plant, or any other large scale employer. They will dictate what your life will be like...

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
I would also recommend looking into surveying. They are in high demand just about everywhere. If you decide to get your PLS, the work flexibility and compensation increase exponentially. You can literally find work in any location you want. I am a licensed geotechnical engineer and work with survey crews every single day. There have been days I have considered getting my PLS to be able to get out of the office. As a starting engineer, I was 50/50 field/office. As you advance in most civil engineering disciplines, the amount of field time gets less and less. I miss it.

TSAMP

WKR
You dont need to have it all planned out. Find one of these trades thats interesting to you and sign up and start working. As you work you will learn so much about what your good at/interests you. Some of these skilled trades offer short degree programs that have standard core structure so you can begin coursework and decide down the road what your specialty is. Manufacturing can be a demanding field, but its also a easy one to move around in and is competitive by nature.

Also, many employers will offer to pay/assist with additional school, take them up on that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapa

This is spot on. Hard work, various outdoor locations and the possiblilty of making good money. It is a career that requires time and experience so the younger you are the better.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
@GueroUlt to be candid, your answer above isn't detailed enough. I want you to win and from experience and having to coach others in mentorship groups and companies, you HAVE TO BE SPECIFIC.

Rule #1 of being a success is "Never lie to yourself"
Rule #2 is "Know your numbers" (Know every detail of your situation and where you want to go)

Having a slushy "We kinda want this.." is a game plan to lose. Every time.

tjihrig

FNG
I’ve never thought about that Before! how long does it take?

It takes a few years to get all you ratings and build flight time. It’s definitely an investment of time and money. However, the money is great and the schedule can’t be beat. Right now there is an unprecedented shortage. I’ve been telling every college kid I know. Anyone with their ratings in their pocket right now can write their own ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unclemoe

FNG
Firefigter, lotta them are union decent paying jobs and while they encourage it no dept i know of mandates the vaccine

Also time off is amazing i normally dont work much if any oct or nov

mwebs

WKR
This is spot on. Hard work, various outdoor locations and the possiblilty of making good money. It is a career that requires time and experience so the younger you are the better.

How long does certification take, I’ve thought about surveying as a career change but found mixed information. Also working entry level wage won’t work for me for long..

How long does certification take, I’ve thought about surveying as a career change but found mixed information. Also working entry level wage won’t work for me for long..
You want to make a total career change… you’re going to get stuck with entry level wages until you’ve earned your spot.