Hey “Karen”!

Rich M

WKR
So keeping the peace, I'll tell a story..
I used to go get my coworkers lunch. The coworkers would start to demand extras.
The extras would be the most ridiculous stuff. Extra pickles, light ketchup, no mustard, butter and toast the bun...it's friggin McDs... you're lucky they give you something remotely close.
I said you got one change to an order and that's it.
They got pissed and said I couldn't do it right.
Said if they don't like it, go buy it yourself.
Finally fed up. Ordered a bunch of cheeseburgers minus burgers..
Buncha Karens:
You hit that one on the head. Frustration from helping folks.

I stopped and picked up a security guard walking down a long stretch of road. Tried to talk w him and was quickly aware that he wasn't quite all there and easily offended by polite chitter charter. Couldn't get that dude outta my vehicle fast enough.

Basically, only ask a select few if they want lunch and won't pick anyone up trying to be nice no more. LOL go figure.

Rich M

WKR
In the next 20 years there's going to be a lot of guys going through their deceased father/grandfathers stuff finding thousands of unused primers and a tons of powder. Just because they were the unemployed/retired "old farts" that learned the local shops shipping schedules and raided the shelves before those who work for a living could ever make it there.

One old guy I know has plenty, and he bought it all before barcodes were used to keep inventory. LOL. You're pointing your finger at the wrong folks.

The old guys would wait for a good buy and then got what they thought they needed or would need and didn't buy stuff they wouldn't use.

The shortage is due to folks buying cases and pallets of stuff they won't use. Couple guys I know helped some lady move. She had over 100, 1, 000-round packs of ammo and didn't even own a gun. Some would wish either she had bought gold or you/me/us had gotten what we needed when it was available.

CorbLand

WKR
In the next 20 years there's going to be a lot of guys going through their deceased father/grandfathers stuff finding thousands of unused primers and a tons of powder. Just because they were the unemployed/retired "old farts" that learned the local shops shipping schedules and raided the shelves before those who work for a living could ever make it there.
Dude this has been happening for decades. Its nothing new. It has as much to do with their financial situation as it does them being retired. I cleaned out a house that some guy bought as a rental from an older lady that got divorced. We got to the basement and opened a couple fifty pound potato boxes. They were full of reloading stuff. This is not a new phenomena.

We all lived through the Obama days, how much better prepared are we now? Compound that with 50 years of living though that stuff?

One thing that would help in this situation is if people wouldnt lose their damn minds if businesses raised their prices. That would stop the "scalping" that is going on. Everyone loves a free market until it affects negatively.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
That would stop the "scalping" that is going on. Everyone loves a free market until it affects negatively.

Bingo!

I'll bet those folks standing in line before Cabelas, Basspro, Walmart, etc. opened in the morning are all talking to each other complaining about how scarce stuff is when they are ready to rush in in clean the shelves creating the very problem they are complaining about.

I think we should have a new TV show called "Ammo/Gun Powder Survivor" ... a dozen contestants get released into a sporting goods store with only a paper bag and he who gets the most to the check-out wins. We seen a lot of crazy crap happen on black Friday with people beating each other with dolls & TV's ... imagine what mayhem could happen in a BassPro or Cabela's? :LOL:

CorbLand

WKR
The other thing with this go round of panic buying is that this has all been a compounding affect. This started in March 2020. Shutdowns caused the run on 9/556. Civil unrest caused the run on handguns and more 9/556. Elections have caused the run on everything else because by the time it got to that 9/556 were gone.

I am so sick of people being like "Biden gets elected and now there's no more ammo." There hasn't been ammo since August.

jmez

WKR
Also have 7,000,000 new gun owners in the fold. If they each bought 2 boxes of ammo with their new gun. That is an extra 280,000,000 bullets sold this year.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
One thing that would help in this situation is if people wouldnt lose their damn minds if businesses raised their prices. That would stop the "scalping" that is going on. Everyone loves a free market until it affects negatively.
The buyers have complete control over the scalping..........or market pricing. As long as there are willing buyers at a price point, then that's the market price........not the "scalping" price. Businesses can charge whatever they want, but they are stuck in all this along with everyone else........it's all dependent on what people are willing to pay. Until people are willing to pay less, prices will remain high.

Fatcamp

WKR
The last 9mm I saw was Wolf steel case for $17/50. Even with raising prices it sold quickly. That was Scheels a couple weeks ago.

Chanimal

FNG
When the panic started I was concerned I wouldn't be able to reload my favorite powders for a long time, and almost bought a lot of second tier, not ideal components just because they were in stock the day I was looking. But I stayed patient, got creative, and have been able to purchase exactly what I needed and wanted for my gun. All over the last two months or so.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I wouldn't mind regular retailers raising their prices more. The current market would definitely support it, and consumers may think twice about what they buy. IE buying based off actual need/wants in lieu of whatever is on the shelf.

sndmn11

WKR
Hopefully I lucked out today. I have been trying to find either IMR4451 or 6.5staball, preferably the latter, to go with what I had put together for our dive into reloading. I had missed both in 1lb bottles over the last couple weeks with in stock notifications. I was at my laptop at the right time for a Midway email to come through for 8lb Staball jugs being in stock, and was able to get checked out with the few things I had staged in my cart within 20sec or so. Free shipping and just the HazMat fee too. So, hopefully it was a true purchase and doesn't end up being cancelled, but I am super happy.

When the panic started I was concerned I wouldn't be able to reload my favorite powders for a long time, and almost bought a lot of second tier, not ideal components just because they were in stock the day I was looking. But I stayed patient, got creative, and have been able to purchase exactly what I needed and wanted for my gun. All over the last two months or so.

Getting started in this over the winter, I sort of have done the same thing. Having small quantities of powders that will work fine, but, at least on the charts, aren't maybe the first choice. So, now that I have what I am really happy with, I can look for folks who might be in a bind and treat them fairly in getting my less than ideals over to them.

rootacres

WKR
One old guy I know has plenty, and he bought it all before barcodes were used to keep inventory. LOL. You're pointing your finger at the wrong folks.

The old guys would wait for a good buy and then got what they thought they needed or would need and didn't buy stuff they wouldn't use.

The shortage is due to folks buying cases and pallets of stuff they won't use. Couple guys I know helped some lady move. She had over 100, 1, 000-round packs of ammo and didn't even own a gun. Some would wish either she had bought gold or you/me/us had gotten what we needed when it was available.

I don’t disagree with you. There’s no questions that a lot of this is a result of bulk buys. However I would wager that the old guys lined up outside ammo stores right now aren’t shopping for a deal or out of necessity. They just have the time. Some of us stocked up on what we felt we needed to be comfortable in the last couple years. At least that’s what I did with the exception of a couple reloading components.

Unfortunately there are too many people making it a mission to be buried with three lifetimes worth of ammo and components sitting in their basement. It’s too bad. I know the old folks aren’t the only people guilty of this, they are just the ones we can see.

rootacres

WKR
Dude this has been happening for decades. Its nothing new. It has as much to do with their financial situation as it does them being retired. I cleaned out a house that some guy bought as a rental from an older lady that got divorced. We got to the basement and opened a couple fifty pound potato boxes. They were full of reloading stuff. This is not a new phenomena.

We all lived through the Obama days, how much better prepared are we now? Compound that with 50 years of living though that stuff?

I’m sure you’re right. I haven’t been around for decades to witness some of this. I completely agree that people are losing their minds and we are our own worst enemy. The only way to climb out of this situation is for the gun community to collectively calm the hell down, take a deep breath, and have reasonable purchasing habits.

Rich M

WKR
I don’t disagree with you. There’s no questions that a lot of this is a result of bulk buys. However I would wager that the old guys lined up outside ammo stores right now aren’t shopping for a deal or out of necessity. They just have the time. Some of us stocked up on what we felt we needed to be comfortable in the last couple years. At least that’s what I did with the exception of a couple reloading components.

Unfortunately there are too many people making it a mission to be buried with three lifetimes worth of ammo and components sitting in their basement. It’s too bad. I know the old folks aren’t the only people guilty of this, they are just the ones we can see.

I don't see it down here. The guys who are lining up at walmart and such want to buy and sell.

I'm not arguing the folks who are just stockpiling. The old guy reference isn't reflected around here. You are seeing them, I'm not it is younger and middle aged guys. I'm in FL too. LOL!

When we had the last shortage I know there were some folks who assessed their situations and bought what they'd need "for the rest of time" but they weren't buying stuff they didn't need or use.

CorbLand

WKR
When we had the last shortage I know there were some folks who assessed their situations and bought what they'd need "for the rest of time" but they weren't buying stuff they didn't need or use.
Most people are still doing this. People need to allow businesses to raise their pricing without freaking out to stop people that are reselling. Business are basically just acting as distributors at this point.

I was at the gun counter the other day and some guy was complaining that a box of 9mm had gone up from 12 to 17 bucks, while also complaining that people are just buying way to much. I just shook my head and wanted to be like so which one is it? Is it too expensive or too cheap?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I know the old folks aren’t the only people guilty of this, they are just the ones we can see.
I've only been to a sporting goods store once in the last several months, and I got there right before they opened and sat in my truck until everyone had entered. There were about 30 people in line, and I'd have to say that the majority of them were most likely in the 30-50 age group.

Rich M

WKR
Most people are still doing this. People need to allow businesses to raise their pricing without freaking out to stop people that are reselling. Business are basically just acting as distributors at this point.

I was at the gun counter the other day and some guy was complaining that a box of 9mm had gone up from 12 to 17 bucks, while also complaining that people are just buying way to much. I just shook my head and wanted to be like so which one is it? Is it too expensive or too cheap?
A box of available 9mm down here was closer to $30 last time I was in a gun store. Owner said his cost had gone up a bit.

Folks do need to relax and stop buying frivilously.

whaack

WKR
Yup. I posted a thread asking what are popular powders so if I see some @ reasonable prices ( you had some wise comments on that also) I would buy and then trade for the things I need that I may not see @ reasonable prices. If you do not like that then tfb.

If everyone would just stop......well that's optimistic and not the current situation we find ourselves in so I will just work with what is happening right now and not hope for something different.

If everyone would never break a law we would have a good situation also but I am not waiting for that either so I will be prepared to defend myself and people who I care about.

I think your a Karen.....stop on by and prove me wrong, Douglas county, Kansas.... just make an appointment so I schedule you in.

Seems like a dick move to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mvrk28

WKR
Admittedly, I have not read the entire thread. With that being said I will get to the point.

If you are without supplies right now, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Prior to this crunch, supplies were so plentiful it was completely reasonable to buy a couple thousand primers every time you went to the store. I've got roughly 10,000 in my cabinet. A thousand Federal 210's cost what, $30? If you're running to the store waiting in lines of 20+ people to maybe get some primers or maybe get some H4350, you did this to yourself.

Buy when the supply is high and buy a lot of it.