High Country Gear Recommendations/Q’s

csd99

FNG
Merry Xmas all, I’m looking to burn some cash and gift cards on some gear to be used on a high country hunt in September. As a broke 20 something I am mainly wondering which gear I could save some money on and not get the high dollar options. I already have all the optics and upper body insulation layers but do not have quality hiking boots or nearly anything else in the clothing department. Anyone have suggestions?

Boots are a hit and miss as each foot is different. I've been through some Crispi's and Lowas. I have found that I prefer Irish Setters. They are considerably cheaper and usually only last a couple of seasons. I'm buying new ones more often but they feel better on my feet and and have never had any issues. It comes down to what fits your foot best. I try to layer with polyester, synthetics or merino and stay away from cotton. Does not have to be high dollar to get this. I find the camo pattern I like and see what it is made out of and go from there.

Try on several boot mfrs and see what fits your foot shape. Yes they’re a big cost but being able to rely on them and re-sole them makes it worth it in my opinion. For my first several seasons I would buy a set of lightweight hiking boots for $150-$200 only to destroy them by the end of the season and realize they can’t be rebuilt in any capacity.

Boots and good pack. You will wear the boots constantly, and the pack 75-80% of the time.

Subscribe to Camofire. Good discounts on gear. Steep and Cheap is good as well.

Are you camping up high? Sleep system is the other place to pay attention IMO. I would highly recommend Big Agnes. Something like the Lost Dog 15 degree with their insulated air core pad. Poor sleep and being cold is not normal or good fun on a hunt.

Jeremy

Pant wise the wranglers from Walmart are great for the price. I got some cheap Russel base layers when I forgot some on a hunt. They’ve worked fine also.

Boots are tough without trying on. I got Crispi’s which are nice. I keep rolling my ankles in them though. So something about the sole design doesn’t work for me.

If looking for a pack you could get a frame and use a dry bag. If you want to spend a little more I would look at the Exo K3’s. They should start coming up for a good price since the K4 is coming out.

For boots, you need to try them on. I personally prefer mountaineering boots to hunting boots. For me, La Sportiva, if the fit your foot, Scarpa also makes great boots.

Pack can be similar to boots. If you are technically inclined, Seek Outside is a great option that can be used for many things. Exo also makes a great pack, they should be releasing the K4 soon, so if you wait a few months you can probably get a deal on the K3. Stone Glacier and Kifaru also have great reputations.

Those are the two items I would not skimp on.

For sleeping pad, the Neoair Xtherm, but you could get away with a foam pad and a cheaper inflatable on top of it. I'm a huge fan of down sleeping bags, but for one hunt on a budget they would be low on my list. That said, sleep system, cook set, and shelter ate areas where a lot of weight can be saved. When I decided to start cutting weight I was able to loose several pounds in those three areas. If not expecting very cold weather, just get a canister stove like the Soto Winemaster and pair it with an appropriately sized Toaks pot.

Pant wise the wranglers from Walmart are great for the price. I got some cheap Russel base layers when I forgot some on a hunt. They’ve worked fine also.

Boots are tough without trying on. I got Crispi’s which are nice. I keep rolling my ankles in them though. So something about the sole design doesn’t work for me.

If looking for a pack you could get a frame and use a dry bag. If you want to spend a little more I would look at the Exo K3’s. They should start coming up for a good price since the K4 is coming out.
Never thought of getting a quality frame and using a dry bag. Are there certain frames that are better set to contain a dry bag than others that I should look into specifically?

Boots and good pack. You will wear the boots constantly, and the pack 75-80% of the time.

Subscribe to Camofire. Good discounts on gear. Steep and Cheap is good as well.

Are you camping up high? Sleep system is the other place to pay attention IMO. I would highly recommend Big Agnes. Something like the Lost Dog 15 degree with their insulated air core pad. Poor sleep and being cold is not normal or good fun on a hunt.

Jeremy
Yes I’m looking at being at around 11k feet. I figured I shouldn’t skimp on any item that I would be relying on to keep me comfortable. For the tent I was considering the Nemo tracker tent. I’ll definitely be looking into your other recommendations as well, thanks.

Never thought of getting a quality frame and using a dry bag. Are there certain frames that are better set to contain a dry bag than others that I should look into specifically?
The frames for Seek Outside (SO), Exo, and Stone Glacier (SG) will all work with a dry bag. My choice for that use would be the Seek Outside as strap length is infinitely adjustable, it has the most attachment points, and it is only $345. An SG or Exo frame will be $375.

I would try to swing a frame from Kifaru, Exo, or SG. You could get a crib/panel and a lid. It would cinch up the dry bag really well and you would still have a little organization with the lid.

If one of those are too expensive the Kelly Cache Hauler would work.

The other thing I’ve used in the past is a Bora 80/95. It’s a backpacking pack. But works good for hunting. You could probably pick up a used one for a decent price.

In order of importance: boots, weapon, pack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad.

You don't have to spend a ton on boots, but they need to fit right (along with whatever sock combo you use) so that they don't cause blisters. Can't stress enough how miserable you will be with boots that don't fit and/or aren't broken in enough. Weapon doesn't have to be expensive either, but it's gotta work well to your effective range. Good packs are expensive (Rokslide classifieds can save you a ton of money). Good sleeping bags are also expensive (classifieds). Tons of other gear, but those are my highest ranked for importance. You can argue about #1 and 2 and have a valid argument, but hamburger feet will be a show stopper!

Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, this websites classified and camofire are your best friends. I bought 2 kifaru packs and frames nearly new for 1/2 price. Before I bought kifaru I used and abused arcteryx bora 90 packs. They were by far the cheapest quality pack I’ve used. Capable of 80+ lb bulky loads. I’ve seen them for around $50 to $100 on Craigslist. Sell some of your stuff you never use sitting in storage and your garage and buy quality!!!

Boots numbers 1! No such thing as quality and cheap.

The ultimate day pack which is good for everyday use meaning not heavy AND the ability to pack quarters.

How much cash are you looking to spend? I can spend more for you. Lol

Same goes for binoculars. On a high country hunt they are worth their weight in gold. If your current ones aren’t top notch I’d upgrade.

With good boots, a solid pack, and bright clear binos I can get the job done. As long as I’m warm and DRY. Good luck!

For pants go Eddie bauer guide pro and then get some cheap mil surplus ecws level 1 and 2 base layers for when colder to run under them. Long lasting and affordable

Yes I’m looking at being at around 11k feet. I figured I shouldn’t skimp on any item that I would be relying on to keep me comfortable. For the tent I was considering the Nemo tracker tent. I’ll definitely be looking into your other recommendations as well, thanks.
Some stoves won't work too well at 11k, so before you buy make sure it will work for what you're wanting to do.

It might help to know what gear you have that you really like and you know works well and also what else you might want.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Back