High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Jodi, I use one, and have had great success with it.

I was able to check in from AK every night.

Great peace of mind.

Jodi

Super Moderator
"Saddled and Ready to go. High Country, here comes the Redneck!" Robby

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 203

Jodi

Super Moderator
Sorry about the attachment. Can't seem to figure out how to make it larger/more clear.

Regarding the Spot messenger, I love it. It is great peace of mind for those at home. I think we saw it first on "Survivorman". Anyway, it makes my nights a little more restful. Great gift idea!!

Belly-Deep, wish you would come to Idaho and go with Robby some time. I don't like that he goes alone on these hunts, but he is a tough guy. I always need to keep really busy so I don't think too much of where he is and how alone he is. I pray.

I would love to hunt Idaho with Robby. Once I get done with law school, I plan to do a LOT of hunting, including more trips with Robby. In the meantime, keep praying.

IAHNTR

WKR
This hunt looks just fun. Robby is a huntin fool. Bless you Jodi for putting up with all his gone time and reporting to all of us who you have never even met. Go get em Robby. put that 7mm to work and be safe.

Jodi

Super Moderator
Thanks guys-You are awesome to encourage me. 23 degrees here this morning in the valley. I don't envy Robby on the top of a mountain (Good chance of snow). But he loves it.

It sure has gotten cold the last few mornings!! I hope he has some great luck and nails a monster! Hunting with horses can be a LOT of work especially by yourself... thats a pretty handy guy ya got there Jodi! :)

Mike

Jodi

Super Moderator
"Up at 4:15. Headed up the mountain. Colder than a well digger's seat. Stanley, Idaho hit a record low of 10 degrees. Very dry and crunchy. Elk season is open and I've glassed several shooter bulls, best around 330". Good to see them as the wolves are here and the outfitters are worried about the elk. No good bucks yet. Robby"

Attachments

• cold mmorning.jpg
    cold mmorning.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 171

Jodi

Super Moderator
"Sunrise! Warmth!" Robby

Attachments

• warmth.jpg
    warmth.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 198

Jodi

Super Moderator
"9:50 am. Didn't glass any good bucks. Dropping off top, checking for big tracks on trail". Robby.

Jodi

Super Moderator
It sure has gotten cold the last few mornings!! I hope he has some great luck and nails a monster! Hunting with horses can be a LOT of work especially by yourself... thats a pretty handy guy ya got there Jodi! :)

Mike

Yep, I married Jeremiah Johnson.

Here is a quote from him-(From Jeremiah, that is)

Jeremiah: (after laboriously teaching Swan one word of English- Jeremiah points to himself) "Great hunter. Yes?"
Swan: "Yes."
Jeremiah: (points to himself again) "Fine figure of a man. Yes?"
Swan: "Yes."
Jeremiah: "Good. That is all you need to know. For now".

My husband is a good hunter, and yes, he is a fine figure of a man!

Jodi

Super Moderator
I found a photo of the real Jeremiah Johnson. I'll compare Robby to Robert Redford.

I am wasting entirely too much time! I will check in later when I hear from Robby again.

Attachments

• The real Jeremiah.jpg
    The real Jeremiah.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Robert Redford.jpg
    Robert Redford.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 79
Hopefully he does not grab your noggin (AKA Johnson like) to show you up and down "Yes".
Does he have a Spot or are you anticipating needing one/getting one?

Jodi

Super Moderator
"When I dropped off top yesterday, I found at least one mature buck track, so I figured I better give the area one more day. Didn't see any bucks last night but hit the trail before 5:30 am today anyway. Tied the horse and climbed the last 1000 feet. Just after sunrise, found a bachelor herd way down the mountain. Closed it to 300 yards but no shooters. Best one about 25". Was hoping to find the 30-incher or the 180+ buck I saw here last year (look up the thread "amateur moves" on the MD forum for that story). Between an August scout trip and these last two days, safe to say they aren't here. I find very few of the same big deer two years in a row...
Moving camp to where I saw a good typical last year and a decent buck scouting this summer. Terrible cell service. Hope to check in tomorrow. Robby"

Attachments

• picture0004_0001.jpg
    picture0004_0001.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 146