Hilleberg vs Others

OP
G
Does the Allak 3 generate any interest here? Checking out some videos on youtube it looks pretty awesome.

ozyclint

WKR
i have a soulo and an allak. having been in them on the mountain in NZ i wouldn't use anything else.

nothing like a backcountry adventure in the hilleberg hilton.

MTSabo

WKR
Im 6'4'' and was looking for a tent long enough for me. I wanted a hilleberg but a lot of them were too short. I ended up picking up an unna a little apprehensively as it had no vestibule. I ended up much preferring my unna to anything I used in the past. Just unclip an inside corner and instant vestibule with still plenty of room for one even with a pack in there. I then got tired of the weight and started using it as a floorless shelter. Running it floorless its bigger then most 2 mans.

Does the Allak 3 generate any interest here? Checking out some videos on youtube it looks pretty awesome.

I second this question. I thought I had my mind set on a soulo and anjan 2 gt, but now I’m really worried about livability. I read on other forums and watched the video of the tall guy reviewing the different shelters. It sounds like the allak and kaitum are the route I should be going.

For you tall big oafs out there, how much room do you actually have without compromise ?

I don’t want to deal with
- wet feet or head from touching ends or sides of tent and condensation
- wasted space in vestibule ie to small to work for hunting and gun etc
- unable to change clothes if needed
- oversized with weight penalty just so I fit, ie an anjan 3 for a 1 man tent.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I had no issues with my Soulo and I'm a touch over 6'3". My feet would brush up against the wall of the inner tent, but the condensation was always on the inside of the outer tent. I have regretted selling that tent ever since I did. For a palace though, the Kaitum is on my radar. It would be huge as a floorless setup. That Allak looks awesome as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had no issues with my Soulo and I'm a touch over 6'3". My feet would brush up against the wall of the inner tent, but the condensation was always on the inside of the outer tent. I have regretted selling that tent ever since I did. For a palace though, the Kaitum is on my radar. It would be huge as a floorless setup. That Allak looks awesome as well.

So the allak is on my radar for this exact reason. Would the additional internal area if the allak, and similarities to soulo not make the weight difference between the two worth it?

sneaky

"DADDY"
So the allak is on my radar for this exact reason. Would the additional internal area if the allak, and similarities to soulo not make the weight difference between the two worth it?
If freestanding is your main criteria, probably. I never felt cramped in the Soulo, and it fits in some pretty tight spaces. The Allak's footprint is going to be bigger, if that matters where you hunt. Kaitum will have much more internal volume as the end walls on the inner tent are vertical and not sloped. It isn't freestanding and has more room for gear especially in the GT version. Weight difference between an Allak and a non GT Kaitum 2 is pretty negligible. GT version adds about a pound.

If freestanding is your main criteria, probably. I never felt cramped in the Soulo, and it fits in some pretty tight spaces. The Allak's footprint is going to be bigger, if that matters where you hunt. Kaitum will have much more internal volume as the end walls on the inner tent are vertical and not sloped. It isn't freestanding and has more room for gear especially in the GT version. Weight difference between an Allak and a non GT Kaitum 2 is pretty negligible. GT version adds about a pound.

So an allak and kaitum gt 2 would be decent or is the allak and kaitum to close?

I would lov a soulo if I fit and could save the weight. But I’m spoiled with my cimmaron and red cliff 😬

sneaky

"DADDY"
So an allak and kaitum gt 2 would be decent or is the allak and kaitum to close?

I would lov a soulo if I fit and could save the weight. But I’m spoiled with my cimmaron and red cliff
The Kaitum isn't freestanding but with the GT vestibule if you decided to run it floorless you would have a ton of space. You have anywhere local you can check the tents out at?

The Kaitum isn't freestanding but with the GT vestibule if you decided to run it floorless you would have a ton of space. You have anywhere local you can check the tents out at?

Local, not a chance. I’d love to see them set up. I’m tempted to just buy the, set up and send back but I hate to eat the shipping.

How about the allak and soulo set up without the inter tent?

Local, not a chance. I’d love to see them set up. I’m tempted to just buy the, set up and send back but I hate to eat the shipping.

How about the allak and soulo set up without the inter tent?

Also I should point out, I love my cimmaron but there have been times when I wanted a freestanding option or a wind proof option. And for sizing, I’ve had to pitch the cimmaron over bushes before, but for most of my hunting I’m in northern Nevada, Utah, and possibly Alaska (1-2 years out)

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can run either the Soulo or Allak without the inner tent for a bomber floorless option. I get spoiled with being able to check them all out in person

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just got an Allak, I haven’t set it up yet but that’s something I plan to do this afternoon. I went all over the hill every spectrum when choosing what tent I wanted. In the end, the Allak was a little longer (I’m tall), free standing, only 1.5lb heavier than a soulo and has 2 vestibules. All things being equal, the Allak has everything I was looking for.

I just got an Allak, I haven’t set it up yet but that’s something I plan to do this afternoon. I went all over the hill every spectrum when choosing what tent I wanted. In the end, the Allak was a little longer (I’m tall), free standing, only 1.5lb heavier than a soulo and has 2 vestibules. All things being equal, the Allak has everything I was looking for.

What were the top selling points for you over the other choices? And was either the soulo or Anjan in the running?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What were the top selling points for you over the other choices? And was either the soulo or Anjan in the running?

I’ll probably get a soulo at some point but I wanted something 2 person so my wife can come along and also for when I’m doing float hunts and want ambit more room.

Selling points like I said earlier, freestanding, 2 vestibules, not much heavier than a soulo, it’s a bit longer than some other models.

I didn’t want an anjan or a nallo because my feet touch the back wall of the tent, if I’m spending the $$$ I’m not going to make compromises in comfort.