Holster options

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
So I usually carry a small 9 mm with me when hunting. I’ve had the occasion to encounter a cat here and there. I’ll be hunting a unit with more bear and the potential for grizzly. I always carry bear spray, but it’s not always effective or deployable in certain scenarios. I’ll be carrying my 10mm xdm that hunt, but my usual chest carry setup isn’t going to work. What have y’all used that works well with a bino setup?

I don’t want to hear any stupid comments about bear spray vs pistol or a pistol does nothing unless it’s x or y. Carry what you want.......I’m just looking for something that I can use this particular gun with an agc bino harness.

Thanks and sorry if that sounded a little . Too many times it’s digressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of folks carry their pistol, via chest holster, just underneath or below their bino pack. I carry mine below my AGC bino pack, kind of around my belly, just above my hip belt. It does get a little crowded upfront, but after a little while I don't really notice it.

I’ve gone to a Kenai gunslinger chest holster behind my bino harness with that exact gun and have been very happy with it. I don’t have the ACG, but I think you would really like it. I tried the Razco under the harness and for me, it was just not the right fit. The kenai was a better fit.

OP
reaperukon

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve gone to a Kenai gunslinger chest holster behind my bino harness with that exact gun and have been very happy with it. I don’t have the ACG, but I think you would really like it. I tried the Razco under the harness and for me, it was just not the right fit. The kenai was a better fit.

Good to hear! Still as easy to access with the bino harness in front? I’ve been looking at that exact holster.

OP
reaperukon

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of folks carry their pistol, via chest holster, just underneath or below their bino pack. I carry mine below my AGC bino pack, kind of around my belly, just above my hip belt. It does get a little crowded upfront, but after a little while I don't really notice it.

What are you carrying there in Alaska? What holster system are you using? Separately suspended and not attached to the bino harness I would suspect.

Good to hear! Still as easy to access with the bino harness in front? I’ve been looking at that exact holster.

For me it has been but I don’t have the ACG. I use the outdoor vision and it’s not as wide or deep in my opinion. It also doesn’t interfere with my pack on either. I spent a fair amount of money and trial and error til I found something that works good for me.

Been wearing an Alaska guide with a 454 for close to 20 years. My step sons are both using the Kenai rigs. In any event, I shifted mine off to the side a little to accommodate my chest pack. Pretty similar in size to binos.
It was mentioned above it’s going to take a little training so your hand knows where the gun is. 444ECF99-116D-4C57-94F2-D67E0F1119FB.jpeg

What are you carrying there in Alaska? What holster system are you using? Separately suspended and not attached to the bino harness I would suspect.

Mine is a 2.75” barrel .500, in a Guide’s Choice Diamond D holster. I’ve experimented with a couple different carry systems, and this is the most comfortable, and accessible one I’ve found. Not carrying the bono pack here, but you can see where it would fit.
cf6e676ad617067a3a61626324fc3ce6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
reaperukon

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the pics and thoughts. Some good food for thought.....

JohnnyB

WKR
Another Kenai chest rig under Bino harness here. Beats all the other holsters I have tried (drop leg, paddle, etc.). Unless something revolutionary comes along, I am done searching.

There are a number of them from a hunting, fishing packing standpoint. The Diamond D, guides choice wrote the book on this style of carry, market demand from guides and outfitters.
Let’s start with bear protection, always an entertaining subject.
If you get jumped, worst case scenario, the bear is rolling you around, your instinct will be to curl up in a fetal position protect your vitals and your head. If possible you’ll roll to your strong side, in any event it is possible perhaps probable you’ll have better luck finding the pistol on your chest. You are also much stronger on your center then with an arm extended, down your side, allowing you to manipulate it enough to get off a somewhat effective shot.
Years ago, even though Charlie’s Angel did different, we were teaching Sule position with the handgun deployed. Center chest, muzzle down index. Very strong and time tested in combat, so why not start there when dealing with an apex predator.

Unless you’ve spent some serious training time, your startle reflex will bring your hands to your center. If your fight instinct is generally stronger then your flight instinct you’ll move into a bladed stance. Again no reason to fight instinct, bears, wolves, cougars don’t possess hands to reach up and pluck the gun off your chest. Having guided for almost 20 years in Alaska, your first contact at close range with a grizz will reveal your primordial nature, guaranteed.

More likely concerns / advantages
Keeps the gun out of the pack belt, straps.
Keeps it high and dry when your wading
Wear under your rain gear, protected from the weather. Probably shouldn’t zip up if you do that.
If I’m not wearing a pack or waders, then I’ll wear it on my hip.
Just a couple of ideas, simply another tool for the toolbox.

rm06

WKR
I've been carrying on my pack belt. I very seldom have the pack off during the day and for me, I just can't see having the room up front or beneath a bino harness. I still own a Diamond D from years ago and I see some interesting configurations in the comments above

tntrker

WKR
Holster attached to my chest bino harness, just in case the pack gets taken off at some point. But I'm a rookie so....

Just ordered the Razco for under my harness. Looking forward to see how well it works.