Hornady eldx 200g issues

Stiddca

FNG
I’ve recently bought 9 boxes of Hornady eldx 200g in 300 wm that I’ve had about 15% of the rounds so far that won’t allow me to lock the bolt on my gun (Bergara b14 hmr) Tried with another gun Remington 700 and same issue. My cousin buys the same ammo and we are getting the same with his. Has anyone else had this out of this ammo? Hate to run into this on a hunt

ndayton

WKR
I reload now, but before that I shot only the Precision Hunter ammo out of my 300 winmag and never had an issue with closing the bolt.
If I understand correctly you are seeing this in 3 different rifles with the same lot of ammo, if so I would contact Hornady to see what they say as that is not normal.

In a safe environment chamber every round. For those that chamber easily, put them in the “hunting” pile. Then put the ones that give you an issue in another pile.

Had a few reloads that would not chamber easily and this is what I had to do. Thankfully there were only a few problem children.

I reload now, but before that I shot only the Precision Hunter ammo out of my 300 winmag and never had an issue with closing the bolt.
If I understand correctly you are seeing this in 3 different rifles with the same lot of ammo, if so I would contact Hornady to see what they say as that is not normal.
Same lot number? Measure the brass for known good and bad.

OP
S

Stiddca

FNG
2 rifles, sorry worded it a little confusing. Have contacted hornady and am sending it all back. Same lot of ammo. Any other factory ammo you found to perform as well?

OP
S

Stiddca

FNG
In a safe environment chamber every round. For those that chamber easily, put them in the “hunting” pile. Then put the ones that give you an issue in another pile.

Had a few reloads that would not chamber easily and this is what I had to do. Thankfully there were only a few problem children.
That’s what I was going to do but to have to do that for ammo that is at such a premium is a shame. Sending it all back and going to see what they say

That’s what I was going to do but to have to do that for ammo that is at such a premium is a shame. Sending it all back and going to see what they say
Probably a QA issue. Hopefully they take care of you and more importantly, you’ll get it sorted out before you need it for a hunt.

ndayton

WKR
2 rifles, sorry worded it a little confusing. Have contacted hornady and am sending it all back. Same lot of ammo. Any other factory ammo you found to perform as well?
Didn't really try any others as it shot great out of my gun and I still use the 200gr ELDx bullet in my reloads. However if looking at factory ammo the Federal Premium line has been pretty good if you can find any in stock.

Fed Hunter Hybrid

Berger024

WKR
I have run .308, .260 (bolt and gas guns) and .300wm (bolt gun) w/ Hornady Precision Hunter. I always had excellent results with accuracy. I have had issues with expansion at closer yardages under 100yds on game with .308 and .260.
I have a few cases for each caliber and will keep an eye out for issues with the .300wm. Please update us and let us know what Hornady says regarding your issue.

pnw

Lil-Rokslider
most likely you should end up with a little bit of shinny spot on the bullet ogive or the shoulder of the case I know of a factory savage 308 that has kind of short throat that does this with certain ammo and not other I am pretty sure his is the bullet engaging the riffling and it could be dangerous spiking pressures

I have a Bergara Wilderness Ridge B14 (cerakote) in 300WM and just tested it with that exact cartridge. Butter smooth.

I think it might be your rifle. Sorry.

With that said PM me if you're looking to offload that ammo!

OP
S

Stiddca

FNG
I have a Bergara Wilderness Ridge B14 (cerakote) in 300WM and just tested it with that exact cartridge. Butter smooth.

Some of them chamber fine about 15% aren’t and it’s doing it in multiple guns. Don’t believe it’s multiple guns doing it with all the same lot of ammo. Hornady is taking it back to check tolerances.

OP
S

Stiddca

FNG
Some of them chamber fine about 15% aren’t and it’s doing it in multiple guns. Don’t believe it’s multiple guns doing it with all the same lot of ammo. Hornady is taking it back to check tolerances

Lot #3212634 if you wanna check it against your lot #

I'm still breaking in/sighting in with cheap ammo, but I'll keep an eye out once I start shooting the good stuff. I just bought a Magpul Pro 700L stock so I'll be loading from the AICS mag as well.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
Not the exact same ammo, but I did find 3 Hornady 6.5 140 ELDM match factory rounds that had a bad shoulder and wouldn’t chamber. This is out of thousands. Stuff happens, I think every once in a while a machine gets slightly out of whack, and a couple bad rounds slip through. I’m sure Hornady will take care of you.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
My friend had the same thing happen with some Nosler Accubond ammo. 3 different boxes wouldn't chamber in his Weatherby and in my Tikka. He sent them back and they sent him 3 new boxes. Same issue. He would up with a refund check at the end of it all.