How do you fund your hunting trips?

JasonWi

WKR
A few ways that I go about this.

1. I'm debt free and save money from each paycheck into a specific hunting account -- just like I'm paying a bill. Once I determine the cost of the trip I allocate a specific amount towards that trip per month until it's fully paid for. Then repeat for additional trips. I've currently got a 2024 Sitka blacktail trip booked, and will hopefully book my moose hunt next summer...for 2025 or 26 season

2. I pack my lunch everyday and eat at home every night.

3. Don't buy extra equipment, utilize what I already own for multiple seasons.

4. Stopped doing so many different hobbies and have focused my finances on a couple.

Mojave

WKR
Here is my 2 cents.

1. Live as cheaply as you can. We have netflix and disney plus. We don't have cable, but we do have internet. She has a newer phone, but my phone is an I phone 6. I live 1.5 miles from work and I walk to work every day. She started working so we finally bought a 2nd vehicle. And it is a beater. We make enough to both drive 2 $70,000 vehicles but we don't do it.
2. We don't really eat out. If we are in town and we don't have a choice we will go some place like Smashburger or Rudy's BBQ. Have not been to a steakhouse in over 10 years.
3. We don't buy expensive coffee, smoke, do snoose, drugs, she doesn't wear makeup, we buy clothes that we like but not necessarily designer anything. Just decent quality, that fits and can be used for work, home and in my case hunting. We also don't drink anything other than water, coffee and tea that we brew and that's it. And neither one of us drink booze.
4. We have a good sized home that we got for a decent price. We don't run the air conditioning or heat all the time, but we live in a climate that windows open is good most of the time. We have a lot of radon here, so it also helps with that.
5. I apply in Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, Idaho, New Mexico and a 2 other states. I only apply for top shelf tags. I am not waisting money on a shit hunt to have a shit hunt.
6. We have some nice equipment, but I only have 3 rifles, and enough scopes and stuff for those 3. I don't stock up. I have 4 pairs of binoculars, and one range finder. The only reason I have four pairs is I have 2 lower mid-range pairs $370, a mid range pair $570, and a pair of Swaro EL 12x50's. The cheap ones get used by the kids. I use the mid range as they are 8x56 and I use them in the forest.

We rarely pay full price for anything, none of my gear was full price. I bought it through one of my veteran military discounts or I bought it used.

I make decent money, she homeschools the kids and we buy that home school curiuculoum every year. Also retired from the military, so there is that.

We also eat most organic food (complete bullshit, don't let anyone sell you on this idea). It is a battle I have lost though.

If you are single, stay single or at least find a chick that hunts.

If you are married put hunting down as a priority and draw a line in the sand. You might have to redraw the line a bit so you don't have to pay allimony and child support.

Other financial considerations:
1. Our kids have free college. So this is something I don't and won't fund.
2. We don't pay much for medical (retired military). We pay cash for dental.
3. Our house looks like an empty dorm room. We have cheap furniture.
4. I put the max I can put into a 401K even though I already have a retirement.
5. If you go to instagram and you look at those beautiful homes in the desert with fully Santa Fe design. Our house is the opposite.
6. this year I will hunt Wyoming, a coues here in New Mexico and hopefully a couple other hunts pending draws. We will take a disneyland trip and stay at the Grand Californian. And a trip to Virginia to see my oldest daughter and her kids. Other than some local travel that's about it.
7. We are homebodies. I have not seen a movie in a movie theater in over 3 years. We don't go to the bar, pay for kids sports, or a lot of other things that waste time.
8. I do not tithe, and I don't tip.

A few ways that I go about this.

1. I'm debt free and save money from each paycheck into a specific hunting account -- just like I'm paying a bill. Once I determine the cost of the trip I allocate a specific amount towards that trip per month until it's fully paid for. Then repeat for additional trips. I've currently got a 2024 Sitka blacktail trip booked, and will hopefully book my moose hunt next summer...for 2025 or 26 season

2. I pack my lunch everyday and eat at home every night.

3. Don't buy extra equipment, utilize what I already own for multiple seasons.

4. Stopped doing so many different hobbies and have focused my finances on a couple.
This ^^ it's amazing to me how many guys go out for lunch everyday. I pack my lunch and keep my bills to a min the big one is the not having a bunch of hobbies. I don't golf and when I do fish it's totally casually

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk