How do you travel (drive) with your gear?

Mostly just my 4Runner with cargo box on top and cargo basket on the hitch. 2 full 120 qt coolers inside to bring the meat home.

9b9de6e8d5791981dfa1255cc74aa529.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerbdog

WKR
Please do. I've been trying to find something for my Colorado that doesn't cost $1500.
Yea, used equipment right now is at a premium. GF just parted out her 4runner and sold everything, used (heavily) for near what she spent on it new

Brooks

WKR
If you drive through NM do not stop and spend a night in Albuquerque or the surrounding area because there is a 99.9 percent chance that in the morning your truck and trailer will be long gone !!!

You are wise to be careful. I moved out of Colorado a few months ago, but I can say there is a ton of theft that happens during hunting season. Most of it is in the more developed parts of the state. Having Kuiu and Sitka stickers all over your truck just draws attention to it, so that doesn’t help. Standard truck topper locks are easily popped. I prefer to sleep in the bed of my truck (I built a bed into the back), so that makes it tougher for anyone to steal out of it. Use common sense, pay attention to where you park, lock your stuff up as much as you can, and don’t display your goods for the world to see.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
As BRTreedogs mentioned earlier KOA campgrounds are great. Coming from West KY, I and some others of my group are getting up in age (70s). We being retired don't have to be in a great rush. Driving straight through doesn't work well for us. Depending on time of departure and the route we take we call ahead and rent a cabin at the next KOA. It is about $50 or less and has 1 queen and 2 bunk beds. You have to use your own bedding and there is shower house in the campground. It is practically a gated campground and you can park right next to the cabin. As a bonus KOAs are usually right near the Interstate. Easy to get off at night and easy to get on in the morning. Most of the time there is also a restaurant close by for breakfast.
We do sometime pull a 5x10 utility trailer with a crew cab pickup and a cap. We have refined our equipment needs over the last 25 years and have gone from backpack hunts to base camp hunts with many of the comforts of home. Cook tents with wood stoves, freezer, picnic table. wall tents for sleeping, cots etc.

Last edited: