How many arrows do you carry in your quiver Elk hunting?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Started with 6 in the 80s. First bull got 3. Then moved on to 4 and a cat quiver. Had one bull in the 90s missed first shot and had a second arrow ready leaning against tree. He stopped at the first arrow missing turned around and went back through same line and second arrow hit the mark and watched him fall. All others 1 arrow, They will often go back through the safe line they took if they don’t smell or see you.

wytx

WKR
4 broadheads and 2 judos for grouse. Have had to use broadheads on grouse before when the judos all stuck in trees.

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
4 is what the quiver holds, but since I haven’t shot an elk yet I’m thinking about shaving some weight and dropping to 1, for grouse of course.

Felix40

WKR
I carry 5. I’ve shot 1 elk with 3 arrows and 3 elk with 2 arrows. All my others have just been 1 arrow. I like to keep shooting until they are dead. Same for all species

Carried 6 with 5 broadheads - 4 fixed, 1 expandable for long follow up and a grouse or misc arrow.

Shot three arrows at first bull last fall. Drilled him complete pass through on first shot but he only ran off 15 yards. Tried to thread a 6” gap between trees and smoked the tree on the 2nd shot because I forgot to level my bow. Bull sat there trying to figure out what happened and I stuck a third arrow between the trees this time through front shoulder and he went down after a short run.

Two years ago on a deer hunt took down two whitetail does in one sit. First went down in a hurry. Second one, slightly low hit only got one lung. Took two follow up shots before she went down. Kept shooting because it was getting close to neighboring property. I only had three arrows that morning and actually shot her twice with the same arrow. Doubt that’ll ever happen again.

Think the lowest number I’d roll with is four. Never know what kind of craziness can happen.

crazyhawksfan

Lil-Rokslider
I carry 5, full quiver. Not proud of it, but I've actually shot six arrows at a bull once. If I get an arrow in an animal, especially an elk, and I can get more in them, I'm actively looking to do that.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

5 in the quiver. 4 BH, 1 judo for grouse. Backup BH and a spare judo in the pack to replace the judo head just in case. Most arrows I’ve used on a single elk is 2. He was already down on the ground but still breathing so I lunged him at a distance of 6 feet and he expired about 5 seconds later.

Whip

WKR
3 or 4 broadheads plus a judo point. I shoot traditional so always have a judo for mid day practice sessions. ( Or maybe a grouse if I have a small game tag)

Colterw

FNG
Five broadheads and one blunt/field tip for grouse and squirrels. So far only one arrow per animal.