How many boxes of shells...?

2ski

WKR
Do you prefer to go into a season with?

Normally I wouldn't wonder but since shotgull shells have been in short supply I'm trying to cover my bases.

With elk/deer/antelope if I have more than 5 and less than a box I'm okay. One shot one kil. But this being my first season over a dog, I want to make sure I don't run out.

I don’t hunt upland birds other than dove and turkey because we pretty much only have quail. So can’t help you there

With the way things are now I would buy as much as I could get and afford, they do not go bad and theres always next year. I re-load most of my shot shells and center fire ammo but am always on the look out for factory ammo to save back for the hard times that seem to be coming our way or in some cases is allready here.

With the way things are now I would buy as much as I could get and afford, they do not go bad and theres always next year. I re-load most of my shot shells and center fire ammo but am always on the look out for factory ammo to save back for the hard times that seem to be coming our way or in some cases is allready here.
Agreed I have enough cases here now that I’m probably on a watch list.

I like to have a couple cases between non toxic and lead at any given time. As mentioned above some diehard waterfowlers go through much more than that but we don't seem to shoot that much when we're on the water

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Wheels

WKR
I like to have 2 cases of steel and a case of lead in both 12 and 20 ga. at the beginning of the season. I wish running out would be a problem, but my hunting spots aren't that great. That is for waterfowl and upland hunting.

KurtR

WKR
I have to supply both me and my son and we shot non toxic at everything mainly waterfowl then some pheasants when everything freezes up. At 4 cases now want to be around 10 when season starts

Mosby

WKR
Do you prefer to go into a season with?

Normally I wouldn't wonder but since shotgull shells have been in short supply I'm trying to cover my bases.

With elk/deer/antelope if I have more than 5 and less than a box I'm okay. One shot one kil. But this being my first season over a dog, I want to make sure I don't run out.
With rifles, I always have at least 2 boxes with me on hunts. Scope breaks, bases come loose, rifles get dropped and I don't like to have to count shells if I have to re-sight in my rifle.

For bird hunting, I normally have a few different cases of shells for each of my shotguns. I have lead, steel and bismuth shells and will take what I need....depending on what, time of year and where I am hunting. I have both #5 and #6 shot in lead and both #2 and #3 shot in steel for my 12 gauge. I normally keep a decent selection of shells in my truck and error on the conservative...normally bringing more than I will need on any hunt.

I don't skimp on ammo.

*zap*

WKR
buy lotsa ammo while it may be available...or you might be one of the people complaining about 'gougers' when it is not available.

MTtrout

WKR
Dang some of you shoot crazy amounts of bird shot! Even in my best years of hunting liberal September goose limits and really getting after ducks, I don’t think I shot over a case or two. I used to hunt a federal refuge where you were only allowed 15 shells so I guess that helped to keep the numbers down.

I would think if you pickup a case of both upland and waterfowl shot then you should be good for awhile. If you see yourself hunting a bunch then get more. Like others have said, it doesn’t go bad

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
I try to buy 1 case per year alternating between steel #2, steel #4, heavy upland, and dove loads. Seems to work for the amount I shoot.

deer & elk calibers if I have a box or two, I'm good
coyote calibers - at least 2 cases
prairie dog gun- at least 1,500 rounds
shotgun- when I used to chase snows in the spring from Missouri to Canada id need at least 20-30 cases a spring and another 3 cases for fall hunting (but back then I took waterfowl way more seriously and the elk/deer were secondary, now it's the other way around)

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I like to have 3 cases of 12 gauge and 2 cases of 20 gauge for waterfowl. Last year I cut it close and then was scrambling for ammo right before out of state trips so I want to avoid that scenario again. For upland mostly pheasants I can get by with just a handful of boxes laying around as I don’t pheasant hunt until everything freezes up.

SC HUNTER

FNG
I shoot dove every weekend of the season here in Georgia. I hunt ducks here and there but nothing crazy during duck season. I have 8 or 9 cases of bird shot for my 20 gauges and 4 for my 12 gauge. I've got 2 cases of steel 1 of each gauge. My centerfire rifle rounds I have no idea, I have 600 rounds of 6.5 creedmoor that I just put up the other day. I don't like to run out of ammo or have to look for it if I need it.