How often does everyone upgrade their packs?

rideold

WKR
Reading this makes me feel like I need to go buy a pack! I've been eying the SG packs for a while and when I save enough up that's the route I'll go to replace my 30 year old Gregory. I just don't get enough days in the field to wear a pack out. Once I buy the SG I doubt I'll ever replace it considering my age.

Sadly, I don’t spend enough time in the woods to wear out a pack and have bought and sold several packs over the last few years in near pristine to lightly used condition (my loss, several roksliders’s gains).

I went from MR NICE to kifaru a back to MR. Along the way, I think I bought and sold 6 main bags and three frames. In a mild bit of irony, the pack I landed on (an MR Terraframe 80) is an update of a Dana Desgins Terra plane that I used in 1998(?). I guess my point is, most people are idiots like me that are swapping out packs as a matter of preference or boredom. Those lucky few that actually wear them out are to be envied.

I had a Kuiu Icon Pro for 5 seasons. Going on season 4 with my k3. I plan to buy the k4 as a backup so anywhere from 3-5 years. Hoping to push the Exo packs longer as long as I can get replacement parts. I have had to use warranty services twice for my k3.
Once you get the K4, betting that K3 becomes the backup. They truly knocked it out of the park.

It's not really an upgrade, because I'm buying the same make and model every time, but I replace my pack every 3 years.

Decker9

WKR
Iv upgraded Kifaru frames as they come out, but have been running the same Multicam DT1 since 2011, to say it’s been around the mountain a time or two would be a understatement, I think it’s just getting broke in.

The only other bag I’d be interested in is a 7500ci’ish reckoning 2 in xpac material (wishful thinking).

wnelson14

WKR
If you spend enough time on rokslide you will upgrade a pack before the one you just bought on a wts add arrives to your door. Ask me how I know?

Drenalin

WKR
I try a lot of packs, looking for the “perfect” one. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t exist, but I’m also pretty sure I’ll keep chasing it. K4 is next on the list unless I work up the balls and spare time to design and build my own. The only pack I’ve kept for more than a year is a little Camelbak HAWG that’s been in constant use for 10-ish years.

It all depends on how my gear functions, how much of an upgrade something newer is and how much it Coste vs what I can sell my current gear for.
This applies to all my gear not just packs.

I bought a k4, with only using a k3 for 1 season. I had slippage issues with they said they fixed, and they started doing a Nalgene holder integrated with the new belt.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had my Mystery Ranch, that I still use for day hunts, hiking, and guiding since 2012. I bet I have 800+ days using it with all the guiding time. I still use it often. I have a Seek Outside I use now for all my backpacking, and backpack hunting. I would guess I have 100ish days using it, after owning for 4 years. Plan on using both these for the foreseeable future. I’m not big on swapping out anything that works no matter the age.

OP
Deli

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
These are kind of the responses I expected when starting the thread. Sounds like most packs don't die and people look to upgrade when they can or when it makes sense. Knowing my MR works, but I'm not in love with it, I can see myself buying something new to try in the next year or two as funds allow.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my buddy to buy a stone glacier. Even though I’m a Kifaru junkie. I told him I’d save some money and go with stone. He went with a terminus, so I guess I’ll see how it performs this season. I might sell my 3 Kifaru packs and get a stone to drop some pounds lol

Wrongside

WKR
My ~10 year old SO is pretty much miled out. It doesn’t owe me anything and it’s been great. The hipbelt and shoulder strap are worn thru, with misc other holes, tears and snags on the bags and straps.

Not really enjoying pack shopping. Won’t be getting another SO, even tho I love the old pack, and really not seeing anything thing else that’s perfect for my uses. Maybe the SG 8700 Terminus. But those asymmetrical pack designs aren’t great for southpaws. The search continues. :)

jg58

FNG
I'm not sure if it's really upgrading... but I've got 3 kifaru packs in the last 4 years. And I'm looking at getting another. Maybe I'll get rid of one I've already got...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
What does everyone recommend for a good beginner pack?

Tallg

FNG
I purchased an EXO K2 in 2019. Absolutely love the pack. I upgraded this year to the K4. The only reason I upgraded was I needed a pack with a stiffer lumbar pad. I'm an older guy with no but and a little belly bulge. Putting a hip belt on me is like putting a belt on a funnel. It's hard to keep it in place.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does everyone recommend for a good beginner pack?

Packs are a lot like boots, what’s good for one might not be for another.

I’d highly suggest buying used and saving $. If the pack doesn’t work for you sell it here and try another.

I’d stick with the proven packs- Stone Glacier, Exo, Kifaru,, Seek Outside.

Also you might see if someone nearby has a pack you try on, I know lots of guys have posted up threads to see if there was a member close by with a pack.

ChrisAU

WKR
I didn’t need a pack until I started western hunting in 2018.

Tenzing Something - Looked really cool but the forum told me it was crap.

Kifaru Duplex with Reckoning Bag - forked out the money for this for my first elk hunt. Loaded it with 80 pounds of useless crap. Helped some guys from Arizona pack a bull with it on my first trip in 2018.

Kuiu Pro LT with Ultra 4000 Bag - Sold the Kifaru to get this which was much lighter and forced me to be very gear conscious when packing for 6-7 days. Packed my first elk with it in 2019, packed my buddies elk in 2020, and packed two Antelope in 2021. It also packed a whitetail with a Pro LT 5500 bag in January 2021. Using it for training right now as I wait on my new hotness.

Kifaru Duplex Lite with Exo K3 4800 - Upgraded to this after 2021 Antelope hunt in which I had some bad hip pain. May not have been the Kuiu but the fear it was it was in my head. Packed a mule deer in 2022 as well as a whitetail with a Gnargali bag in Jan 2023.

Exo K4 2200/5000 - Sold Kifaru stuff this week and bought the K4 this morning. I could not be more excited to get it after trying my buddies last week when training.