How often does everyone upgrade their packs?

11boo

WKR
I gotta say, Kuiu and EXO both sent me new parts to replace worn parts.
kuiu hip belt
Exo shoulder straps and lumbar pad.
both at no charge. I’m sticking with these brands, might end up with a K4 someday.

Using the same SG Sky Talus 6900 that I used on a wilderness hunt in 2016. Still use an Eberlestock Team Elk Pack for day hunts that I had prior to the SG. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Have some cheaper Kelty packs that I use for training/camping to save wear on the SG.

jg58

FNG
Packs are a lot like boots, what’s good for one might not be for another.

I’d highly suggest buying used and saving $. If the pack doesn’t work for you sell it here and try another.

I’d stick with the proven packs- Stone Glacier, Exo, Kifaru,, Seek Outside.

Also you might see if someone nearby has a pack you try on, I know lots of guys have posted up threads to see if there was a member close by with a pack.
Thanks man appreciate it

Using the same Blacks Creek for 20 years , finally getting ready to bite the bullet and get a new one, packs have certainly evolved in the last 2 decades !

geriggs

WKR
Just upgraded (still not sure) from a duplex lite that was 8-10 years old to a k4…..have not received it yet. We will see if it’s an upgrade or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been using and abusing the same Kifaru duplex and Reckoning for 8-9 years now. That combo has been everywhere, done everything I've asked.

TaperPin

WKR
I'm just curious how often people upgrade their packs and what the average lifespan of a pack is for the average hunter. I bought a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 that was used in the classifieds here along with a Sawtooth 45 bag and that pretty much covers everything I need. It's definitely showing signs of wear and tear after 3 season of my use along with the previous owner, yet is holding up well. I don't find it as comfortable as my buddies Exo, but I have a hard time justifying getting something new when I have something that still works. Wondering how others approach this big of a purchase.
This is an old post, but not seen until today. I hold on to old gear until a young hunter comes along that would appreciate it and gift it forward. Having said that, make sure you have a backup - what if a car is broken into and your main pack grew legs.

I went through 3 different packs last year LOL but now that i have settled on one i like it will likely be a while before i get another one.

gelton

WKR
Started with the Kifaru Duplex Timberline in 2012, sold it and the frame in 2017, replaced it with the Lightweight Duplex and Muskeg 5K and just picked up a Kifaru Kutthroat this year for the "wife" (or anyone else who might be in camp without a tried and true pack to help pack out an animal, or for me if I just want a change of pace).

For me, I think the Muskeg 5K with 2 medium pouches and one large pouch is just about as perfect as you can get.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking of taking the plunge on an Exo K4 7200. Other consideration is stone glacier terminus. This would replace a mid 1990’s Dana Design Terraplane (5800). The Terraplane has no load shelf. Meat goes into game bags and then trash bags. I mostly hunt solo. Currently use a mystery ranch pintler for day hunts (2500 CU) for elk/antelope and use the Terraplane for late season diy mule deer hunts. Mule deer is either day hunts or backpack hunts if temps aren’t too crazy low in MT. I can typically only get 3-4 days due to bulk with 0 degree bag, bulky down jacket/pants, etc. Will also plan to use the pack on a dall sheep hunt within the next 5 years. I’ve put in for moose/sheep/goat here in MT for over 25 years so hoping to draw one of these years.

Stick with what I have or take the plunge and upgrade?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A meat shelf is pretty nice. Meat takes a lot of precious volume up especially with all your backpacking gear. I like the looks (and weight) of the Terminus, but would rather it had a meat shelf behind the bag as well.

You'll definitely need more volume than your current Terraplane for a 10+ day Dall hunt.

I’ve put in for moose/sheep/goat here in MT for over 25 years so hoping to draw one of these years.

you and me both brother!

TaperPin

WKR
Thinking of taking the plunge on an Exo K4 7200. Other consideration is stone glacier terminus. This would replace a mid 1990’s Dana Design Terraplane (5800). The Terraplane has no load shelf. Meat goes into game bags and then trash bags. I mostly hunt solo. Currently use a mystery ranch pintler for day hunts (2500 CU) for elk/antelope and use the Terraplane for late season diy mule deer hunts. Mule deer is either day hunts or backpack hunts if temps aren’t too crazy low in MT. I can typically only get 3-4 days due to bulk with 0 degree bag, bulky down jacket/pants, etc. Will also plan to use the pack on a dall sheep hunt within the next 5 years. I’ve put in for moose/sheep/goat here in MT for over 25 years so hoping to draw one of these years.

Stick with what I have or take the plunge and upgrade?
I had a Terraplane and Astralplane of about the same vintage, and they were workhorses for long trips - few of that vintage that had a good suspensions - at the time Mountainsmith also had a tough pack that carried well. For hunting, my main complaint was the height of the frame when not carrying a lot, which is most of the time. You’ll notice many of the dedicated hunting packs don’t extend as much above your shoulders. There aren’t many packs of any size that carry lots of weight as well as the Terraplane, so I doubt you’ll see any benefit going into or out of a high camp

I found packing meat inside close to the body to be much better than anything outside the pack, so I don‘t think you’ll see any advantage to a newer pack over the Terraplane as far as hauling.

I would suggest a new hunting pack, but until you have them side by side it will be hard to estimate how much you’ll use it. Something larger than what you have would be great for 7 day trips, especially in crappy weather, but will be just as tall. A pack the same size as what you have, but with shorter frame is what you’ll want to grab every time even if more stuff has to be strapped to the outside on the way in to spike camp.

I sewed up two long skinny stuff sacks for 7 day trips that road really well strapped to the sides of the Terraplane, much like a tent does. That made the pack noticeably wider on the trip in, but didn’t take up nearly as much internal capacity. Then I upgraded to the larger Astralplane and could do away with one of the long skinny stuff sacks, but otherwise wasn’t really helping with day hunts while spiked out and I was packing a small day pack to hunt with.

I finally picked up a good hunting pack and didn’t use either Dana pack hunting, but a Dana always went on long backpacking and fishing trips. It’s a lot easier if a buddy has a pack you can borrow.

jpmulk

WKR
Think I’ve ran my MR metcalf for 6 seasons. I replaced the hip belt last year. Still good otherwise.

RussDXT

WKR
Packed my first elk out with a team elk pack. Promptly got rid of it and got a Kifaru Nomad. Used it ever since. Not the lightest but it just works. This was 6 years ago.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've had 3 dedicated hunting packs.

First was a Gen 1 Exo, I still have this pack. It's packed 40-50 animals. I've had to replace the shoulder straps, waist belt, pack zippers, and repair the frame covering where it rubbed the material off from packing some bigger bulls. This pack hasn't really gotten much use in the last 2-3 years, (I used the Kifaru ad SG mostly) but I still have the frame and the original crib in the garage.

Second was a Kifaru frame (still used the Exo bag). I only used this frame for a year. It carried weight ok, but I didn't like how the frame was wearing (shoulder straps and hip belt wear mostly) when comparing it to the original Exo. I sold it this spring.

Finally, I bought a SG Terminus this spring to replace the sold Kifaru frame. The Terminus is great, packed out 6 animals; half a bull elk and camp, 3 bone-in whole mule deer bucks, another 3 trip bull elk and an antelope. This pack carries weight MUCH better than the Kifaru and original EXO. I also can't tell it was really used this year after washing the blood off. I will prob try and get rid of the original EXO frame and use this pack only going forward, until it wears out, hopefully another 5-7 years.

Ive changed the bag on my Duplex Lite, a lot, but Ive found the perfect combo at this point. Ive had 1 set up with a Stryker XL for 3 years, and another with the Bedlam - which will probably be on that frame for the long haul. Best bag theyve ever made IMO.

I will upgrade the belt on my duplex lite when/if (looks like they are going to go full on squadron laser cut this year) Kifaru changes the pals webbing to squadraon laser cut molle. I havent had too much of an issue functionally, but nothing fits like you think it should because of how they pals webbing angles in toward the buckle.

S.Clancy

WKR
I just got my buddy to buy a stone glacier. Even though I’m a Kifaru junkie. I told him I’d save some money and go with stone. He went with a terminus, so I guess I’ll see how it performs this season. I might sell my 3 Kifaru packs and get a stone to drop some pounds lol
That's another reason I dropped the Kifaru and went to a Terminus. I saved over 3lbs and it carries weight better