How often does everyone upgrade their packs?

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just curious how often people upgrade their packs and what the average lifespan of a pack is for the average hunter. I bought a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 that was used in the classifieds here along with a Sawtooth 45 bag and that pretty much covers everything I need. It's definitely showing signs of wear and tear after 3 season of my use along with the previous owner, yet is holding up well. I don't find it as comfortable as my buddies Exo, but I have a hard time justifying getting something new when I have something that still works. Wondering how others approach this big of a purchase.

WoodBow

WKR
The foam is what wears out. You could consider just replacing the hip belt and shoulder straps. Replacement is very use dependent. I'd say most of the market replace just to get something new, not because it is worn out. Myself included.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

This will be my 9th season elk hunting, and I used a Kuiu for the first 5 years and a SG the last 3. I bought an Exo K4 and am trying to decide if I'm using that this year or sticking with the SG which shows almost no wear despite some good use.

Geewhiz

WKR
I bought my MR pack 4 years ago on the used market and have put it through the ringer since then. Usually pack out 3-6 elk and handful of deer and antelope each fall. Although it definately shows signs of use, its far from being "worn out".

Some people just like the latest & greatest but as @WoodBow stated the foam can wear out. I'm still rocking a K2 3500 that I bought in 2017 and its packed out 6 bulls and close to 20 deer and still going strong. I would like to upgrade & try the K4 but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the one I have.

KHNC

WKR
I dont think ive ever worn a pack out. I guess i dont hunt enough!! LOL. i still have an old X2 that is in great shape. I used to use it all the time. Cant bring myself to sell it tho. I may need it one day.

Poser

WKR
I just replaced a Exo Gen 1 after 9 seasons and ~600+ days of use. The belt and harness had been replaced twice during that time and I had numerous repair jobs on the bags: patched holes, resewn seams etc.

That may be more of an extreme example, but I am believer in repairs, fixes and proactive maintenance. All of my gear gets used hard and almost all of it spends some time at the repair shop (grateful to have such a business locally). Most guys are replacing to upgrade to newer lines. I see a lot of hunters come through the area and I’d say 80% or more of the dedicated hunting packs I see are in “like new” condition. By comparison, even with the replaced foam, patched up holes and replaced zippers, the Exo I was using was sun bleached far beyond its original colors.

Have a SG for the last 7 years, used 100+ days a year. I had to replace the stays because the epoxy gave way on one, but other than that, good to go.

Nwihunter

FNG
Some people just like the latest & greatest but as @WoodBow stated the foam can wear out. I'm still rocking a K2 3500 that I bought in 2017 and its packed out 6 bulls and close to 20 deer and still going strong. I would like to upgrade & try the K4 but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the one I have.
Same set up that I have. Would love to try the k4, just not sure it would be that big of an improvement over my k2. I love that pack.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I’m on year 6 for my SG. No signs of stopping yet. I use it all summer backpacking and getting in shape too. I sometimes get the itch to try one of their different bags and definitely to get the new exo but haven’t had a real reason too. I’m sure I’ll break down eventually, probably before the backpack does

I'm just curious how often people upgrade their packs and what the average lifespan of a pack is for the average hunter. I bought a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 that was used in the classifieds here along with a Sawtooth 45 bag and that pretty much covers everything I need. It's definitely showing signs of wear and tear after 3 season of my use along with the previous owner, yet is holding up well. I don't find it as comfortable as my buddies Exo, but I have a hard time justifying getting something new when I have something that still works. Wondering how others approach this big of a purchase.
It depends, but packs in general, I spend enough time under one, that I have no problem justifying a pack that’s more comfortable… I upgrade packs way more often than necessary, but that’s because I like seeing how each perform in real world use.

That being said, I’m done testing packs for the foreseeable future, the exo k4 is dang near perfection for my taste, and I’m just going to keep investing in it until they release a new pack, which won’t be really soon… I know when they release the next gen of their packs, I will not be able to help myself… their packs have always been excellent for me, and I always circle back, so I think I will just stick with them (very easy company to support as well)

If I wanted to be practical and utilitarian, I’d probably upgrade about every 4-5yrs, but I’m sure any top shelf packs will last longer than that… replace the shoulder straps and belt and keep them relatively clean, I’m sure they would last a long time. I have had very little concerning wear on the top tier packs I’ve owned, and me upgrading wasn’t from a practical standpoint

I have had a horn hunter and kuiu fall apart in a couple years, top of a frame wear through on a seek, but mystery ranch, kifaru and exo have all been very durable through hard use

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, I momentarily needed a second pack and got a K3 to go with my K2. When the need for a second pack ended I gave the K2 to my brother. Then found I did not like the K3 belt. Ended up getting a Seek Outside. It works well, but has a lot of small things I don't prefer. Then the K4 came out, and as I liked so much about the Exo's I got one. So, 4 packs in 5 years. I could still be using the K2 and woud not have an issue.

I'm hoping to go many years on the K4.

I have yet to wear out a pack. The last few years I've switched every off season just to try out new stuff.

Mystery ranch metcalf & marshall, then tried out the Kuiu pro LT 5500 & 4000, this year i bought a EXO K4 5000. I like trying out new gear haha I have a problem :)

JohnnyB

WKR
Have a new Stone Glacier on the way. I still love my other packs and have no complaints or justification for this other than I love good packs and have all the rest of my gear needs covered.

Been using Kifaru Tahr since new- around 2015 or so? Don't remember. I did get the Exo K2 2200 when it came out and enjoy it. One pack set up for rifle the other for bow. I just ordered the K4 3600 to see how the new belt rides on my aging body.

chasewild

WKR
My dwight schu pack died after it melted in the back of a truck.
My first kuiu snapped in its 4th year in 2014.
My next kuiu I upgraded after a miserable pack out.
My kifaru hunter frame was still going strong after 7 seasons.
This will be year one with the kifaru lightweight frame.

Alinrut

FNG
I used the same pack for several years, it was a Cabelas (nothing fancy for sure) ... and for me the final decision to replace was when I walked into my garage one summer and realized that just a little moisture and my pack had the whole room smelling of dead sumthin'...
So now I have a Seek Outside custom pack that I love and does not absorb the blood and such.
I guess Im saying, that when it gets to a point that I cant remove smells or replace parts is when I upgrade...

OP
Deli

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I only spend about 20-30 days of actual hunting with the pack so assuming it'll last me a long time. I ruck with it once or twice a week year round with weight as it keeps me in shape and I enjoy it, so it gets pretty gross from that, but easily washed out once or twice a year.

For those who are upgrading, but don't have the option to try on before you buy, do you just order a few and then sell the ones you don't use second hand or just buy one based on recommendations and research?

Jethro

WKR
I just replaced my 10 year old Krux with an X curve. Frame only, put the 5100 bag on it. Amazing to feel the brand new foam in shoulder straps and pad when comparing to the old one. Bag has some tape patches on it, but still good.

Few weeks ago I finally threw away my first pack. Kelty Super Tioga from the early 90's. As recently as 5 years ago I had it set up as a summer training pack, but haven't used it since then.