How to catch an untrapable mouse.

def90

WKR
If it hasn’t been said traps need to be placed tight up against the wall or other objects. Mice typically do not travel randomly across floors or open areas, they travel along the base of the wall or other objects as a means of concealment/protection. You will never catch a mouse if the trap is just laying in the middle of the floor.

ODB

WKR
I’ve caught them with the cartoonish method of an upside down lightweight bucket held up with a small stick. Peanut butter on the opposite inside rim. Dunno, works for me.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Update. Lasr nightnI set traps along the baseboard with pieces of fluffy cotton tied to the triggers. 5:54am, traps still empty.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Post a pic of your set up, i.e close up of the trigger and how it is situated on the baseboard. Examples attached on the cotton triggers. Anise oil can help but I don't apply it to all of them. Also, I'll set some unbaited (never had bait on them) and then some baited, typically a small smear of peanut butter.

When I started trapping pocket gophers I used the Black Hole from Victor. Couldn't catch nothin! Then I started realizing there were small things that made a difference on success rate. Same with coyotes. The dumb ones are easy. The smart ones are the satisfying ones to catch!

Attachments

• 20240225_064202.jpg
    20240225_064202.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240225_064233.jpg
    20240225_064233.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I had an evil little sucker that I couldn't catch for a while. I had regular snap traps out and glue, it would eat the bait off the traps. I got more glue traps and put on rubber gloves to set them out to keep any human scent off the trap and I had that bastard in 5 minutes after setting them out before bed. Try the gloves it may make a difference.

packer58

WKR
Yesterday I was grilling out on the back patio and my daughter comes out and says "hey, there's a mouse in the kitchen". I said "well, stomp on it". I go into the kitchen and my wife's wireless mouse is sitting on the counter. SMH
Nothing worse than a mouse on the counter ......

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had a “mouse” that took a full two weeks to trap- combination of numerous sticky and trad mouse trap (different baits).

Finally heard a trap snap in the middle of the night. Turned out it was a vole, not a mouse. Some research after the fact revealed it’s really hard to trap a vole. They are in the house most likely by accident, not seeking food and spending their time trying to get out of the house.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
This is how the traps are rigged up right now. All on perimeter walls, one next to the baseboard heater.
1fc4b2f1c13e5f4fa903ba624111ebf5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I am not a cat person, but had one in Tucson. He woke me up one night tearing around the house after a mouse. The dang thing got trapped underneath the sofa. I figured the cat would keep him there so I ran to Walmart (back in the days when they were open 24 hrs) and bought a red rider bb gun. I was very disappointed when I got hope and found the cat had failed me. Luckily the same scenario happened the next night. I slide cocked my trusty blued beauty, slid the barrel under the coach, lined her up and it was lights out. It wasn't quite as satisfying as a big game kill, but still felt good.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
If a mouse is getting the bait off without triggering then try using a Tootsie Roll. Chew that sucker up until it's gooey and then mash it into the trigger/pan. It will dry enough that they won't be able to get the bait off and snap!!

Terrapin

WKR
I had an untrappable mouse in my shop. One day I had just gotten back to work from fishing and I saw it sneaking down the corner beam behind my computer. I happened to have a marine air horn in my pocket. Without thinking I held it up to his head and blasted it. The mouse ran off.

The next day when I got to work, the mouse was wandering around the middle of the shop. He had no idea I was there. Stone cold deaf.

I felt horrible, so I started leaving it snacks on the floor. As long as he didn’t see me, I could walk right up on him. Before long, we kind of became buddies. He trusted me & I got used to the mouse poop & pocahantavirus cough.

Then one day I forgot and let my cat in the shop. Turns out slightly overweight, deaf mice are delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done it all. 5 gallon bucket with the water and a spinning can is awesome. I created the "Gauntlets" , One is a 2x6 with a baited trap every six inches and about 6 feet long. Screw down each trap, each with a different bait. Mice love peanut butter, rats can't resist bacon. The other is the same way with the sticky traps. I repainted the exterior of the house and removed the hardware cloth protecting the eaves. Some damn mice got in the roof of the house. I caught three rats and thirteen mice in 3 days! My wife was freaking out. I had no idea I would catch that many. Wiped them out. Replaced all the hardware cloth. Treated myself to a nice steak dinner! Amazing how small a hole or tiny gap they can get in.

The cotton trick works better on the traps with the yellow paddle, bigger pan for more access to the cotton.

Also, turn the trap so the trigger side is against the baseboard.

Just a suggestion.