How to make your rifle dual purpose?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
for straight looks I like the hi gloss look with the bowling pin finish on the bull barrel 220 swift. It's not a replacement for a good rust blue job, but when you are working with a SS barrel it's about the only option.
On the little 17 FB I removed all the old finish off the factory stock, removed the white line spacers, recut the checkering and refinished it in true oil. Not a job I'd do again, but I do like the way it came out.
DSCN3467.jpg

for straight looks I like the hi gloss look with the bowling pin finish on the bull barrel 220 swift. It's not a replacement for a good rust blue job, but when you are working with a SS barrel it's about the only option.
On the little 17 FB I removed all the old finish off the factory stock, removed the white line spacers, recut the checkering and refinished it in true oil. Not a job I'd do again, but I do like the way it came out.
DSCN3467.jpg
Those are some great looking rifles. I really like how the Swift came out. Thanks again for sharing!

Does it have a tacky feeling, or does it rub in and leave a smooth finish?

It depends on how you put it on. First thing, only use a wax that has no abrasive in it. Renaissance Wax is a good choice. I apply it with a dry and clean buffing cloth and use the wife’s hair dryer to warm it up and then rub it smooth. You can re-apply as needed. If you heat your gun up on the range. It may haze.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It depends on how you put it on. First thing, only use a wax that has no abrasive in it. Renaissance Wax is a good choice. I apply it with a dry and clean buffing cloth and use the wife’s hair dryer to warm it up and then rub it smooth. You can re-apply as needed. If you heat your gun up on the range. It may haze.
Thank you so much for explaining this. I've been wondering about it for a long time. Are there any situations where you would not recommend doing this?

Thank you so much for explaining this. I've been wondering about it for a long time. Are there any situations where you would not recommend doing this?

This is a trick that is used quite a bit around wet or salty environments (not just sea water, but close to your body when sweating). Probably not necessary if that’s not the situation. Until the new finishes like melonite and “tenifer”, some of us waxed our duty weapons because sweat would cause issues when it was hot out.