Hunting Pack Question: Kifaru vs Mystery Ranch vs Kuiu

Which Pack Company do you recommend?

• Total voters

Soupie

FNG
I'm an adult onset hunter who is in the market for a hunting specific pack, but can't seem to settle on which brand would be best for my purposes.

I live in the west, and have mainly been day hunting. However, I have every intention of taking 3-5 day hunting trips fairly regularly.

What are your experiences with these brands? Any pro's/con's? Any recommendations of specific packs to look at would be greatly appreciated.

I am literally in the exact same boat and having trouble deciding what to do. I am overthinking this one like CRAZYH, haha. Luckily, I found a shop not too far that carries quite a few of the major brands so I plan on going and trying them out in person.

Elkobsessed

Lil-Rokslider
They are all good packs. For someone to say one “is the best” means simply it’s the best pack for them and nothing more. Backpacks are like hiking boots. What works for one doesn’t for the next person. What one person wants/needs as features of the product the next person has no use for.
The ongoing backpack review being done by one of the members on here shows that clearly.

Kifaru and Mystery Rancg both are poor performers in his review. Stone Glacier, Kuiu and Seek Outside (if I recalled them correctly ) are the best performers thus far. Obviously this is the one gentleman’s opinion. There are many good pack companies out there. All three of the above are good packs with generally good/great customer service. Try as many on as you can and go from there or order as many as you can to try on and return the ones you don’t like.

This^ so much this! Most applicable and helpful answer on the thread

NLHoks

FNG
Definitely agree that it depends on what fits you best, so the best thing to do is try out the different packs either at shops or by borrowing a friend's. Sometimes shops will let you load some weight into them at the shop which is helpful as a pack can feel a lot different when it's loaded up with weight.

For what it's worth, I tried my buddy's Kifaru pack, my brother's Kuiu (w/ new pro suspension), and a Stone Glacier, they were all good packs and I ended up going with the Stone Glacier, just liked the fit/feel of it the best, and it was lighter which was important to me. I've carried some heavy loads with it now and have really liked it.

huntem

FNG
All the comments referencing each pack/brand fitting them differently is spot on for usage of said pack. However, when you start cutting hairs on specs/materials and most importantly place of manufacturing. In my opinion, of the 3 mentioned, Kifaru is the clear winner.

I've owned many, many packs from each of the 3 polled.

All of my MR packs are older Made in the USA versions (insert.... don't build them like they use too),

KUIU are nice packs and work well for many hunters but take a Jeep CJ-7 and a brand new SUV off road and look at function and durability??? KUIU is a new imported 4x4

Many of the Kifaru and the older MR packs are Berry compliant (Made in the USA), they are bombproof. If you are able to get it fitted properly to your body, I would recommend you go down this path.

Regarding Stone Glacier, I only have a Kiowa (internal frame). Also US made but more of the minimalist style pack. For example, I'm a water bladder guy so no water bottle pockets built into the design is not an issue for me. Very good product to consider.

My 2 cents.

CO-AJ

WKR
I don't own any of the 3 listed, but after reading hundreds of posts on Rokslide if those 3 were my only choice I would go with Kifaru. I own a couple of Eberlestock's, but I use those mostly for daypack trips. Long range I run an Exo K3 6400 and absolutely love the pack. Dig around on this forum a bit, there was a 10 pack shootout done recently that may help in your decision, also you may be able to find a gently used one for a great deal.

Kuiu user here who will be doing a Kifaru system in the spring.

Extensively used the older Kuiu system as well as the newer one. The new hip belt and shoulder straps were a big improvement. Previously I ran the apex straps as well. The new shoulder straps feel very stable but they went to a fixed load lifters point I’m sure to cut costs and for simplicity sake. These packs do not do well for load lifting when you get into the heavier weights 60lbs+ at least for me. The frame just flex’s and bends not providing lift and the ability to transfer weight to the hips.
The waist belt is a big improvement and I think fixed their previous issues.

I’ll be moving to a kifaru is the load lifting ability/hip belt. Frame seems to be considerably stiffer which translates to being able to haul a heavier load

I'm an adult onset hunter who is in the market for a hunting specific pack, but can't seem to settle on which brand would be best for my purposes.

I live in the west, and have mainly been day hunting. However, I have every intention of taking 3-5 day hunting trips fairly regularly.

What are your experiences with these brands? Any pro's/con's? Any recommendations of specific packs to look at would be greatly appreciated.

I am not an expert by any means but when I started researching for my first elk hunt two years ago I listened to a lot of the early Gritty Bowmen podcasts with Aron Snyder being interviewed about equipment. He mentioned on more than one podcast that they recommend Mystery Ranch to people to try if the Kifaru doesn't fit. When I learned that I looked at MR and found that they were significantly less money while again according to Aron very durable. I would have liked to buy the Kifaru based upon all of the review but I was gearing up for both myself and my son so it was double the cost and then being an eastern hunter I would be using infrequently. I would be using it to hang stands for whitetails and when I get out west for elk so I also was looking for the most bang for the buck. After lots of research and a couple calls to MR I ended up buying two MR Glaciers because they were rated to 100 pounds and were about the same size as the Metcalf their most popular pack. It gave up the meat shelf and 50 pounds but was rated for about double the weight of other backpacking packs. It worked well for me with training weights of 75 pounds but my son being 6'5" with a 23" torso had issues with more than 50 pounds putting pressure on the shoulders that the load lifters wouldn't take off.

Fast forward to this year I purchased a month ago from Sierra.com a MR Terraframe 50. It has the guidelight frame and I got it for $229. vs roughly $700 plus for a Kifaru. I was hesitant because of my experience with the Glacier having very little lift for me and non for my son but I figured if it fits me great and if not I can return it to one of their stores about 20 miles away. I got it and loaded it up with my standard kit and 3 days worth of food. It was a tight fit but worked well and carried much better for me than the Glacier. I am confident I could stretch it out to a week by either strapping my sleeping bag to the bottom or using a dry bag between the frame and bag for my food. My son hasn't tried it yet but I suspect it will work but I am not 100% sure.

I broke it in last week with the deer in this story farther down this page. It worked Great! https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/got-my-new-terraframe-50-bloody.188954/#post-1834444

Last edited:

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Spent a week with 40-60pounds on my back with the MR terraframe 80. Could not have been happier, other than if I would have been packing out deer instead of gear.

Grouseman

FNG

Tried other brands and after two years of additional research and pain, went with kifaru for the win.