Hunting vs fishing media...

Dos XX

WKR
Yes - this isn't something they talk a lot about. We've been hit pretty hard down here in some areas. They did some TV shows scattering clams and were releasing sea trout most recently.
Do you know if the hatchery fish reproduce? I am going to do some reading on this subject.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I had a conversation about this with a buddy. I think it really boils down to what degree the viewer can relate to the content. When I watch a hunting show and they are on a private ranch surrounded by screaming 350" bulls, it seems like another planet. I find it hard to relate to. But, when I watch a film of somebody fishing steelhead in the northwest, it is much more relatable. There were a couple films showing fall steelhead on the Deschutes. I have personally fished that river and probably fished the same run. As such, I'm much more engaged with that content and connect with it more than some dude passing up giant bulls on a private ranch in New Mexico.
Good ol Deschutes! Sure miss fishing that river when I lived in Oregon. These Washington rivers are hard to leave now though. Need to make trip down there this summer.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
We had a bay fishing tournament Saturday in Rockport Tx, close to 1000 entrants for a one day tournament, advertising was done on social media.
Social media is killing the striped bass on the east coast. Slot fish went from 28-38 to 28-31. So many boat's it's a parking lot. Surf guys catch 1 fish and then call 5 people to 'get down here. Im crushing them'.

Then facebook striper groups... and wanna be charter captains...
And it's happening to fluke.
And it's happening to sea bass.
And it's happening to tuna.

One day I was fishing solo, 1 other guy on the beach. Im catching fish, he's not. Comes closer and closer. He catches a fish. Drags it on sand, bunch of photos, phone calls, fish was out of water for over 4 minutes... I finished that night fishing next to 60 people.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Social media is killing the striped bass on the east coast. Slot fish went from 28-38 to 28-31. So many boat's it's a parking lot. Surf guys catch 1 fish and then call 5 people to 'get down here. Im crushing them'.

Then facebook striper groups... and wanna be charter captains...
And it's happening to fluke.
And it's happening to sea bass.
And it's happening to tuna.

One day I was fishing solo, 1 other guy on the beach. Im catching fish, he's not. Comes closer and closer. He catches a fish. Drags it on sand, bunch of photos, phone calls, fish was out of water for over 4 minutes... I finished that night fishing next to 60 people.
See I figured there were big negatives just like there are from the western hunting videos

yfarm

WKR
As of 2022 the Marine manufacturing group said there were 11.9 million registered boats in the US, one million in Florida which has the highest number by state. Not all fish but think about that number and weekends with good weather and the local impacts. Know some hardcore fishermen in SE Florida that describe WPB to Miami as a fish desert out to the gulfstream and beyond.

Rich M

WKR
Do you know if the hatchery fish reproduce? I am going to do some reading on this subject.
I think they do. The hatchery fish are made off eggs and spermz.

The fresh water fish that come out sterile are mixed breeds i think.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
See I figured there were big negatives just like there are from the western hunting videos
It's not so much video's that do it, 99% of the people who make videos do a good job not spot burning. But social media has was more of an impact. facebook groups being the worst