Idaho Deer Hunt

Hey guys, if anyone is hunting deer in 19, 20, 20a, 27, 28, 36a, 36b, 37a, 39, 43, 48, 49, 50, 66, 69, 76 Id be happy to chat with you about your plans and potentially share what my buddies or I are finding in the units or what I’ve gathered from scouting via PM. I talk to a lot of guys and enjoy keeping tabs on what’s happening. It’s especially helpful for primarily deer hunters to connect with guys who are more elk hunters like myself.

PM only. Some nonresidents or newer Idaho residents have great plans and others not so much between places that are obvious and will be overrun with hunters and places where you’d get snowed in, etc. haha I’ve heard it all now on here.

The nonresident tags in Idaho are about sold out now so I feel like I’m probably not directing anyone to Idaho by posting this late in the game.
I can't figure out how to send a PM. Could you send me one to get the conversation started?

kabarNC

FNG
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Not like they can bring 25k buddies with them. Caps are in place for that very reason. It's almost like people have never been helped out in their life for anything. We can tell them to all buy tags for the Frank, but karma isn't too kind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agreed. Looking at the stats for res vs nonres hunters, NRs are but a small percentage..

sneaky

"DADDY"
Agreed. Looking at the stats for res vs nonres hunters, NRs are but a small percentage..
Overall they are, but they flock to about a half dozen units. A couple already have NR caps, but the others don't. Those units are the ones that residents are getting tired of dealing with NR pressure in. The system they are discussing now will spread the NR pressure across all zones, and it'll make for some brisk tag sales on Dec 1st every year before each zone's cap is met.

OP
I
If I forgot to message you back, let me know. I’ve received a fair number of messages.

Jhunt45

FNG
I was in the FC last year, did well on elk thanks to our outfitter putting us in a good area, but it is truly big country

OP
I
I was in the FC last year, did well on elk thanks to our outfitter putting us in a good area, but it is truly big country

Congrats. That’s about the only way guys are successful back there unless they’ve hunted the area for a number of years.

Unreal_TK

FNG
What do you think overall how the mule deer population is doing in Idaho ? I went last year for the first time. I had several trips come up empty but later in the year I started finding some holes and seemed like a good population.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What do you think overall how the mule deer population is doing in Idaho ? I went last year for the first time. I had several trips come up empty but later in the year I started finding some holes and seemed like a good population.
Depends on what area of the state you are looking at. SE and Central Idaho deer numbers got hammered again last winter and population numbers are down in those areas. Other areas of the state fared much better.

OP
I
Depends on what area of the state you are looking at. SE and Central Idaho deer numbers got hammered again last winter and population numbers are down in those areas. Other areas of the state fared much better.

What Sneaky said. If you want to nail down on individual units, let’s chat via PM.

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Idahohiker. I drew the late season 39-2 archery hunt and also have a second deer tag. Was thinking of heading out to 39/43 this weekend, would be interested to hear your thoughts, via PM if needed.

OP
I
Hello Idahohiker. I drew the late season 39-2 archery hunt and also have a second deer tag. Was thinking of heading out to 39/43 this weekend, would be interested to hear your thoughts, via PM if needed.

Pm is definitely needed. Feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Is 39-2 the foothills basically? There’s no magic sauce. Get on some ridges away from the main trails and you’ll find a bunch of deer because you’re hunting winter range. Getting in bow range is another matter entirely. Good luck with that. Not easy. Pray for good stalking snow and get real sneaky. Those deer have been hunted since August and they’re pushed around all summer with motorcycle guys on al those trails. They’re high strung to say the least.

BullElk

FNG
You’ll do just fine on that hunt. Congrats on the tag and make sure you’re 400 away from the road.

OP
I
I’ve hunted in 20. Feel free to PM. Hopefully some other guys can help also. So sorry for your loss.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, if anyone is hunting deer in 19, 20, 20a, 27, 28, 36a, 36b, 37a, 39, 43, 48, 49, 50, 66, 69, 76 Id be happy to chat with you about your plans and potentially share what my buddies or I are finding in the units or what I’ve gathered from scouting via PM. I talk to a lot of guys and enjoy keeping tabs on what’s happening. It’s especially helpful for primarily deer hunters to connect with guys who are more elk hunters like myself.

PM only. Some nonresidents or newer Idaho residents have great plans and others not so much between places that are obvious and will be overrun with hunters and places where you’d get snowed in, etc. haha I’ve heard it all now on here.

The nonresident tags in Idaho are about sold out now so I feel like I’m probably not directing anyone to Idaho by posting this late in the game.

Hi, I am new to this site. I would love to talk about Idaho mule deer. I have been looking into some areas and after what guys have said I can rule out some units. I have hunted the western Dakota’s and have had success there. Just got back from 3rd season gun in Colorado. It was an amazing trip. Hunted and scouted 9 days. Found everything but a buck. Was as low as 6800ft and all the way up to 11400. I got my ass kicked but have a way better idea on what to do next year. But I would like to expand knowledge on the animal. I won’t lie the step mountain side and crawling up shale wasn’t something I thought I was going to be in but it happened due to inexperience in the area and mountains.