Idaho DIY nonresident OTC deer hunt

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I lived in Boise Idaho area for 3 years and hunted unit 39 for elk and deer. I was successful on a cow elk my first trip and a Mule deer 4x4 buck a couple years after. I know the area but there is always so many hunters so I want to try and hunt a different area. My dad and I are looking to do a non guided diy deer hunt in and OTC unit. We live in Northern California near the Bay Area, so we would like to hunt southern Idaho but we will drive up to the panhandle if that's a better option. What units would you guys recommend for us to go hunt. We will most likely do and early season Archery hunt than a mid to late November rifle hunt during the rut if we aren't successful on and early season hunt. Which OTC general units would you guys recommend that have good public land access that are a general OTC unit. Any tips and advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

We were thinking Owyhee since it's a general unit but aren't sure

GregB

WKR
Look at the IDFG website it has maps and harvest stats for the units, pretty much every unit in Idaho is OTC

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have a lot of research to do.
Owyhees is general for 2 point only, it is draw for any buck.
I dont know of any units that are otc for rifle in November except for in the Frank Church.

Montana has general rifle hunts during the rut.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GregB

WKR
Sounds like you have a lot of research to do.
Owyhees is general for 2 point only, it is draw for any buck.
I dont know of any units that are otc for rifle in November except for in the Frank Church.

Montana has general rifle hunts during the rut.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Frank is draw only for November and Non Res can only get a fixed number or percentage of tags.

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
I'm asking a general unit not asking people for there coordinates....

jmcd22

WKR
I'm asking a general unit not asking people for there coordinates....

In your OP you said that 39 has too many people...most guys aren't going to give you a unit either for the very reason you don't want to hunt in 39...

To be 100% honest with you, it is clear that you haven't done much research. Most guys are not going to help someone who hasn't or won't do the research themselves before hopping on a forum and asking for advice. All you need to do is look at the regulations, pick a unit and go. Good luck.

There's way too much non resident pressure for it to be reasonable to suggest a unit. These guys are correct and it's becoming a zoo OTC in Idaho.

If you PM me, we can share info. I'm actually likely to hunt 39 again in the near future. I've strayed into a variety of different areas in Idaho so I could share some ideas depending on what you're looking for. There's no best unit out there, just a bunch of different varied options.

Screw these guys man. They don’t want to help. Here’s the map you need. Get your general deer tag- and then Stay out of the ORANGE areas because they’re full of whitey- assuming you want a mule deer based on where you posted. Good luck. Remember the orange areas are almost all whitetail!!! Also- the same book has a couple pages which let you know what units are open when under that tag so it’s always easy to make sure where you go A) is open and B) will have mule deer not just whiteboys. Knock em dead!

0c39d614cd090fbcc128eddbfdbd949d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brianb3

WKR
Stay in 39 and figure out where people are not. It’s the unit you know best. Hunting doesn’t get easier in different units. There’s a reason why people hunt 39 because there’s a lot of deer. Your best chance of killing a deer is dialing in what you already know

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Screw these guys man. They don’t want to help.

We don't screw anybody around here, and they (Idahohiker, LONE HUNTER, jmc22, idahomuleys) actually are helping. Giving people sound advice on how to ask for help on the web is a great start, and is something everyone should learn if they really want decent help.

cambo0420
if you already know 39 and what the deer country looks like, I wouldn't venture too far or you're having to relearn what the deer like in a different unit. As they mentioned above, look at the statistics in nearby units and see if archery hunters/square mile of the unit is any less (that takes some research) If a unit has less hunters, it also might have less deer and deer country, so keep that in mind. brianb3 is right with his advice.

The problem with 39 is that is has an early (Aug 15 rifle season) that puts a lot of guys in the hills scouting and hunting before archery season is open, so switching units might help you avoid that.

But as said above, you need to really start hitting the research, that will get you miles ahead of waiting for a forum response on "which unit". Those never go over very well anyway.

best of luck

Broomd

WKR
Screw these guys man. They don’t want to help. Here’s the map you need. Get your general deer tag- and then Stay out of the ORANGE areas because they’re full of whitey- assuming you want a mule deer based on where you posted. Good luck. Remember the orange areas are almost all whitetail!!! Also- the same book has a couple pages which let you know what units are open when under that tag so it’s always easy to make sure where you go A) is open and B) will have mule deer not just whiteboys. Knock em dead

Sheesh...."Screw these guys"? ..looks like you offered basically the same advice that others kindly did. These guys took the time here even though they have zero to gain, in fact they'll likely lose future opportunity by offering more information in a state that's already getting crowded...all on an open forum.
Maybe you should tell this guy where exactly you bowhunt those great muleys, give him exact coordinates too. Leave out no details if you really "want to help"....

Edit>>didn't see RD's posting, but spot on.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Sheesh...."Screw these guys"? ..looks like you offered basically the same advice that others kindly did. These guys took the time here even though they have zero to gain, in fact they'll likely lose future opportunity by offering more information in a state that's already getting crowded...all on an open forum.
Maybe you should tell this guy where exactly you bowhunt those great muleys, give him exact coordinates too. Leave out no details if you really "want to help”

I think Juan was being fecitious...I thought it was pretty funny!

Original poster, having lived in Idaho for three years and hunted the unit you have a huge leg up on most other non residents. You are getting great advice already. It doesn’t matter if you are not “asking for coordinates” to anyone’s “honey holes”, just but mentioning that Unit # is going to attract attention to it and bring MORE pressure to it. Google ruins hundreds of great spots every year.

Whoa man...Heavy topic...

OP, apologies for not being more helpful, I know it can be difficult to find a place to hunt. Let me suggest to you the Payette National forest, or maybe one of the other national forests south of riggens for mule deer.

RD, apologies for not taking the post more seriously? I know mule deer are not only your passion, but to an extent livelihood as well, so you take them quite seriously. I have no urge to be taken seriously and I should have deferred to yourself and others as I don’t know how to help someone who has the entire body of human knowledge - everything we know and have discovered in our tenure as a species on this planet and our travels off of it in the palm of his hand but somehow can’t utilize it...

BROOMd, apologies for not reiterating to the OP to stay off your street and out of your backyard. I know how big a deal it is to you that Idaho is full of trespassing road hunters. Make sure to buy 2nd deer and elk tags end of July.

Idhiker,^^^

Anyone else who in one way or another has taken offense at my post, please consider yourself welcome to bring me your grievance in pm, or dress me down publicly according to whatever makes you feel best and please accept my apology for the disruption

Last edited:

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a non resident from Washington and I have been searching for "the unit" in idaho for the past three years. I have done a ton of research, talked to bios, and scouted every year. I still haven't found "the unit", but in my honest opinion I think the one you spend the most time is where you got the best chance. I know it sounds like everyone is saying that, but it's the honest truth. Taking a mature buck in idaho otc hunts is tough theres no other way around it. Good luck

Attitude, man. It's fine to insult Broomd and I but don't mess with the legend! We all should be grateful for his contributions to the site and his book and he has never had one ounce of pretentiousness that I've seen.

elkguide

WKR
Having hunted Idaho as a nonresident for over 30 years it is a challenge. I've done the phone calls to F&G, spent hours scouring maps and Google earth but the most help that I've found has been to work overtime and save up every possible day of vacation and put my boots on the ground. I've had most of my success in the southeastern area of the state until two years ago and that nasty winter really messed with my knowledge of the deer herd there. So I tried several new areas last fall and yes siree, I had a great meal of tag soup but this year I have a better idea of where I'm going to be starting from. I wish that I had the answer and maybe if the next few winters are mild, I might be able to go back into my old hunting area and see deer again.

But then again, IF somehow the Idaho Fish and Game computers will just please screw up and give me a special draw deer tag...… oh what a year that will be!!!!!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I think Juan may be a retired writer from the Seinfeld show...”It’s Gold Jerry; I’m telling you it’s GOLD!” :D

I believe he specializes in satire...and I am appreciating his genius. You Idaho guys I understand this is hitting close to home but if you stand back about 1500 miles he is on your side.

Broomd

WKR
Whoa man...Heavy topic...

BROOMd, apologies for not reiterating to the OP to stay off your street and out of your backyard. I know how big a deal it is to you that Idaho is full of trespassing road hunters. Make sure to buy 2nd deer and elk tags end of July.

I suppose that's why a non-resident Rokslider that I never met in my life camped on our place this Fall until he filled his tag. Great guy too!
And I've never purchased a second tag for anything but turkey. Simply put, why kill more than we can eat...

OP, sorry for the hijack.