Idaho Elk or Mule deer

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
Alright guys curious to hear some feedback on this!

If you were hunting OTC in Idaho, would you chase elk or muleys and why? Which is the best bet for a “trophy animal” , Which is best for getting meat meaning more opportunities. Let’s hear it!

I’ve heard they’re actually looking to expand opportunities for non residents. Extending seasons in some areas and making more tags available probably the only way to deal with the issue...

Colorado is finally facing up to the issue they have and are initiating special Seasons for Texans only in some areas and even making reduced price second tags available just for them

I will add this about trophy value-

you should find a state where animals live past 4 years old. Colorado has a few units like that. But “nowhere” that’s otc has any animals older than 4 and especially not if it’s otc, and has wolves. NOw look at how old the animals that are missing from 16/17 would be... now factor in the additional pressure on the age class above and beneath them as result.... and there’s not many 4 year olds or 3 year olds. Or 2 year olds.
Now In 3 yeArs we should be ok again- but wait- that class of 4 year olds will be pretty picked over due to increased pressure from this winter- as will the 2 year groups behind it. Just the way it is. Vicious cycle and Hard to get many bucks to 5-7 years old.

No chinooks this year in the salmon either to speak of. Good times of abundance for all to be sure

Last edited:
I tagged along with my brother one year 10-15 years ago. He was hunting north of Kellogg and I never did see a deer or elk. Saw moose. He did end up getting a 3x1 bull but it was in a hole I was glad I wasn't a part of. Strike was over so I had to head back to work. Took him and his friend along time to get it out on there hands and knees. Very steep. All the people we talked to said the wolfs killed most along the roads when the snow got deep. I personally wouldnt hunt there. My2c worth.

Neither has much trophy quality. The deer and elk are similar because they’re both OTC. You have to know an area and get lucky or just get really lucky.

If you want trophy quality, avoid OTC as was stated.

If you were hunting OTC in Idaho, would you chase elk or muleys and why? Which is the best bet for a “trophy animal” , Which is best for getting meat meaning more opportunities. Let’s hear it!
Id say colorado for deer trophies and if your wanting a bunch of deer meat go to TN where you can harvest two bucks and 10 doe and if elk is on your list go get a Montana elk general combo tag and hunt both at the same time...

Idaho elk. I have 6-8 buddies that hunt there every year. They split up and hunt different areas otc. Someone always comes home with an elk, sometimes a few do.

I’ve been hunting ID as a non resident for a few years now. So far the group I hunt with we have had a total of 10 tags go in over the last 3 years. 8 deer tags and 2 elk tags, we have filled all 10 tags. Biggest buck was maybe near 160”, biggest bull was in the 330 class. This is OTC general rifle, and this is a lot of work, not road hunting in any sense of the word...if you’ve never hunted the area I would suggest grabbing a deer tag to save money and scout for elk while you’re there. Just make sure the elk tag is a general tag as well. Every state has the potential to put out trophies I believe, there’s a balance of hunting and finding though. The easier they are to hunt (meaning OTC) the harder it will be to find them..Idaho falls into this category because there is plenty of public land, you gotta put in some leg work to get what you want.

Last edited:
I’ve heard they’re actually looking to expand opportunities for non residents. Extending seasons in some areas and making more tags available probably the only way to deal with the issue...

Colorado is finally facing up to the issue they have and are initiating special Seasons for Texans only in some areas and even making reduced price second tags available just for them

I will add this about trophy value-

you should find a state where animals live past 4 years old. Colorado has a few units like that. But “nowhere” that’s otc has any animals older than 4 and especially not if it’s otc, and has wolves. NOw look at how old the animals that are missing from 16/17 would be... now factor in the additional pressure on the age class above and beneath them as result.... and there’s not many 4 year olds or 3 year olds. Or 2 year olds.
Now In 3 yeArs we should be ok again- but wait- that class of 4 year olds will be pretty picked over due to increased pressure from this winter- as will the 2 year groups behind it. Just the way it is. Vicious cycle and Hard to get many bucks to 5-7 years old.

No chinooks this year in the salmon either to speak of. Good times of abundance for all to be sure
Salmon numbers are dismal this year from those I've spoken to that have done the counts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’ve been hunting ID as a non resident for a few years now. So far the group I hunt with we have had a total of 10 tags go in over the last 3 years. 8 deer tags and 2 elk tags, we have filled all 10 tags. Biggest buck was maybe near 160”, biggest bull was in the 330 class. This is OTC general rifle, and this is a lot of work, not road hunting in any sense of the word...if you’ve never hunted the area I would suggest grabbing a deer tag to save money and scout for elk while you’re there. Just make sure the elk tag is a general tag as well. Every state has the potential to put out trophies I believe, there’s a balance of hunting and finding though. The easier they are to hunt (meaning OTC) the harder it will be to find them..Idaho falls into this category because there is plenty of public land, you gotta put in some leg work to get what you want.
No general elk tags in ID, they are zone specific. Elk tags aren't like the deer tags where you can jump to different parts of the state if you want.

No general elk tags in ID, they are zone specific. Elk tags aren't like the deer tags where you can jump to different parts of the state if you want.

Good point, what I meant was a tag you don’t have to be drawn for*

Back