Idaho Nonres sold out

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
It may not be earlier if they up the tag prices next year to 600+ but I still think it's a bit rediculous that we have to wait for non-residents to have their 8 months first. They (F&G) started the idea when tag sales were slipping due to wolves and mismanagement. For us, as residents, to potentially lose that opportunity is a bit unfair. 8 months is a ridiculous amount of time for a head start.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think they have to vote on the tag increase in 2020 and the new price won't take effect until 2021.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
So, next year the tags may all be gone by March for all we know

So, next year the tags may all be gone by March for all we know

I dont think they will be gone that early. I realize you were probably joking. I think there are a fair amount of residents buying second tags and do so as soon as August 1st rolls around. I dont think they will ever be sold before August 1st due to the number or residents that buy 2nd tags.

I do think its possible that it gets close to August 1st though as residents start to compete for the 2nd tags.

I watched things pretty closely as I was curious when they would sell out. Don't quote me but I believe prior to August 1st there were over 1500 tags remaining, the next court report was about 600, and then by the 8th they were gone.

I'm guessing there were only a few NR buying up those tags that late (could be wrong) but I'm guessing 1200+ tags went to residents. So I'd plan on an August 2nd to August 5th sell out next year. Then see what effect tag price increase have come 2021. That may also thin out some residents buying a second tag.

It may not be earlier if they up the tag prices next year to 600+ but I still think it's a bit rediculous that we have to wait for non-residents to have their 8 months first. They (F&G) started the idea when tag sales were slipping due to wolves and mismanagement. For us, as residents, to potentially lose that opportunity is a bit unfair. 8 months is a ridiculous amount of time for a head start.

I could maybe see where residents would cry foul if NR snatches up 2 tags on Aug 1st before any R can. But, I'm not aware of other states that allow residents to purchase a second bull elk tag OTC from NR allotments so to call it unfair seems like a stretch.

Seems that with the demand 2nd tags might become a thing of the past.

KurtR

WKR
yes

i watched close and when it his 2000 i bought mine the time line states after august 1st is right i wrote it on the calendar for my buddy who was supposed to get a tag.

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
We still have to pay non-resident tag prices, about 416.00 for elk, but we don't need to buy non-resident licenses. Yes it counts against the non-resident quota. That's why we pay the higher prices. There is no cap on the number of elk tags that can be sold here for residents but there are zones with quota's.

TheTone

WKR

They aren’t really getting a head start. The non res tags are a separate pool so what they are buying doesn’t effect your ability to purchase as a resident. No one (res or non res) can buy a second tag until August 1

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
The point was more aimed at not being able to buy a second tag for 8 months. I have a non-resident buddy that comes hunting here to hunt with me and buys 2 tags too. I know quite well how the whole process works. I've been buying second tags for years and have lived in ID since 1989. Until this year it has never been even close to a issue but now that they have sold out so close to the August 1st deadline it could become a issue next year. They sold out about a month earlier this year then last and a month earlier last year then the year before. The year before that we bought them for a discounted price of 350.00 in the month of August and the year before that they were 299.00 for August and September. If the trend continues without a cost increase then there is a very real possibility that there won't be non-resident tags left by Aug. 1st next year.

The point was more aimed at not being able to buy a second tag for 8 months. I have a non-resident buddy that comes hunting here to hunt with me and buys 2 tags too. I know quite well how the whole process works. I've been buying second tags for years and have lived in ID since 1989. Until this year it has never been even close to a issue but now that they have sold out so close to the August 1st deadline it could become a issue next year. They sold out about a month earlier this year then last and a month earlier last year then the year before. The year before that we bought them for a discounted price of 350.00 in the month of August and the year before that they were 299.00 for August and September. If the trend continues without a cost increase then there is a very real possibility that there won't be non-resident tags left by Aug. 1st next year.

It’s going to continue, even with a cost increase. I’d be bummed if I were you too but I’m not aware of any other state that lets you buy two bull tags.

I agree with many posters that I am anticipating NR tags to be sold out before Aug 1 next year. I think there are ALOT of NR that did not get their tags this year, and they will be on the website Dec 1 making sure they can hunt next year.

That being said, I have purchased the extra NR tag 2 times, this year first thing Aug 1, because I drew a rifle cow tag and did not want to give up archery hunting, and 2 years ago when they discounted them significantly.

I think it will be a good thing if we sell out for a couple reasons. One being my situation this year. I would have never put in for the cow tag if I did not know I could get the second tag. The draw tags have to be purchased by July 31st, so you need to make a decision. I waited until the last minute to purchase my draw tag, making sure there were still enough NR tags left that I could get one Aug 1st. I am hoping that this will make some people think twice before putting in for some draws, increasing the chance of drawing. I know I will no longer put in for any elk draws because I will not give up archery hunting and not having that 2nd tag eliminates that.

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
I have filled my second tag every year I've had one but last year and I could of shot a raghorn on opening morning but I was trying to wait to see if we could shoot two at the same time since my hunting buddies brother hadn't ever killed a elk in ID. They all walked over the hill before we saw two at the same time and we tried to sneak over into them. I peaked over the hill to be eye to eye with 2 cows at 40yds. Then 50 elk exploded with zero shots fired. The season was miserably hot last year with zero snow. The spot I hunt on my second tag usually has opening day elk until someone runs into their bedding areas and blows them out (they always do it and never kill an elk). After that their won't be new elk until weather comes. That is the first elk tag in about 15 years I haven't filled when I actually got to hunt. 3 years ago I had 4 elk tags and didn't have time to hunt one of them since my wife had a moose tag.