If you thought OHVs on closed roads were bad, check this out.

Hoot

WKR
No, I think there response to being told they were in a Wilderness area would be "No, we double checked the GPS before landing, this is outside the Wilderness area". But they didn't say that, they had a script rehearsed in case some low life yokel came along and questioned them. If they acted concerned and offered to prove on the GPS that they were outside they would be deserving of the benefit of the doubt. Anyone with that many ratings and flying experience can read a chart and confirm to within a few feet exactly where they are, that's how they find airports in a blizzard.

so you know for a fact that they intended to do this, and concocted a script and rehearsed it. You know for a fact they look down on “yokels” as low-life’s? You know for a fact that they indeed were inside the boundary and the two on horseback didn’t have their bha hat on too tight and mistakenly thought they were still in the wilderness? You know for a fact that the two on horseback are telling a complete truth of the story, and theyre not making up part of it because they got their feelings hurt when they confronted the guy? Or are you just outraged because it’s the recreational thing to do?

All I am saying is the mob mentality, cancel culture, outrage is BS. It’s no more logical than the looters and rioters burning down private businesses for something a cop did. I for one, will give them the benefit of doubt, they’ve put out in a statement that they were mistaken. The forest service is investigating. The constitution grants them due process, let’s let the process work before deciding on all the “facts”

BuzzH

WKR
so you know for a fact that they intended to do this, and concocted a script and rehearsed it. You know for a fact they look down on “yokels” as low-life’s? You know for a fact that they indeed were inside the boundary and the two on horseback didn’t have their bha hat on too tight and mistakenly thought they were still in the wilderness? You know for a fact that the two on horseback are telling a complete truth of the story, and theyre not making up part of it because they got their feelings hurt when they confronted the guy? Or are you just outraged because it’s the recreational thing to do?

All I am saying is the mob mentality, cancel culture, outrage is BS. It’s no more logical than the looters and rioters burning down private businesses for something a cop did. I for one, will give them the benefit of doubt, they’ve put out in a statement that they were mistaken. The forest service is investigating. The constitution grants them due process, let’s let the process work before deciding on all the “facts”

I agree on the due process...but come on. Anyone with 2 firing brain cells to rub together knows this was no "accident".

I don't think there's much doubt they knew exactly where they were, and exactly what they were doing. You don't just happen to make a mistake, land on the South Fork, jump out with a flyrod, when you have gps and flight tracking on board.

Its more likely than not, they're guilty, knew what they were doing the whole time, and thought they would just get away with it.

But, again, I agree that they are entitled to due process.

Some people need to work more and care about helo landings less. Geez. People are dyin' in the streets this week, arson, looting and rioting all over the country. Find your balance point. Whoever posted the "sanctamonious" post was right.

Last edited:
A great concept behind Wilderness Areas is that regardless of wealth or status, it should require the same effort to access them. This is probably why people here, myself included, get riled up over instances such as this. Not because we all wish we had our own Helicopters. Whether it is via ATV, Mountain Bike, or Helicopter, this type of violation reduces to one common denominator. Laziness.

Not entirely, you can access the wilderness via horse, which requires money most people don't have. Add up the cost to purchase, care for, train, pasture, feed, transport, and equip a horse to access the wilderness, only helicopters are more expensive.

Hoot

WKR
I agree on the due process...but come on. Anyone with 2 firing brain cells to rub together knows this was no "accident".

I don't think there's much doubt they knew exactly where they were, and exactly what they were doing. You don't just happen to make a mistake, land on the South Fork, jump out with a flyrod, when you have gps and flight tracking on board.

Its more likely than not, they're guilty, knew what they were doing the whole time, and thought they would just get away with it.

But, again, I agree that they are entitled to due process.

Obviously I am exaggerating in contrast of the mob...

What if it turns out though, that after the investigation, the forest service says, we visited the site where the photos were taken and it turns out that they were actually landed 25 yards outside of the wilderness, what will the mob say then?

“burn her?”
“I hear the helicopters are hard to fly in fog, maybe it will work itself out?”
“Hope they get bent over in prison?”

bobr1

WKR
Yeah they have the legal right to due process. But with what information that there is currently public they were definitely in the wrong and knew it or they really are that uninformed and that is still inexcusable. What happens when you tell the game warden you didn't know about some rule you broke? Yeah you are still getting fined or punished, it's the individuals responsibility to know the laws and regulations at all times. The other fact is this wasn't like a slight boundary overlap. They were about 20 miles (Black bear mountain area) into the wilderness area away from the only runway in the area and very far south from spotted bear which is the farthest south you can physically drive towards the bob that is outside the wilderness area. If you are a pilot and your excuse is you missed your landing zone by 20 miles because you didn't know, then you shouldn't have a pilots license.
Their second argument about the low water mark would normally hold true in most of the state. However, being in a wilderness area you are prohibited from the use of any motorized and mechanized equipment (even a wheelbarrow falls under that) within the boundaries of the wilderness area and that includes all the waterways encompassed within the wilderness. Literally the forest service and trail crew have to deal with the entire bob by using hand saws and horses to get work done. The only time they are authorized to used motor vehicles or aircraft is during an emergency, primarily fire fighting and search and rescue. So, can they pay the fine easily, sure...But its the collateral damage to their business and reputations that will be tarnished hopefully. Maybe the FAA will pull or suspend their license but I doubt it and I am sure they would appeal anyway. My personal belief (and again just my personal belief) is that they are the type of rich entitled people that act like they care about the community by being on boards etc...but in reality they only care about themselves. I remember a quote that was harped on a lot while I was in the military.

"Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching."

They were in the bob, pretty remote chance of running into someone in over 1,500 square miles of wilderness. They got caught when they didn't think anyone was watching....

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes, for things like DUI’s, serious drug related felonies, etc. but there is a road back from all of that as long as one is physically capable. No one is likely to lose their certificate for parking a JetRanger in the Wilderness.

The pilot and passenger were stupid all the way around to engage with the horsemen. All one has to do is say that the chip detector indicator lit up and had to land. File a NASA ASRS form and don’t ever do it again.

Ah, the ole', "I'll just lie to get my way tactic." Bold move.

BuzzH

WKR
Obviously I am exaggerating in contrast of the mob...

What if it turns out though, that after the investigation, the forest service says, we visited the site where the photos were taken and it turns out that they were actually landed 25 yards outside of the wilderness, what will the mob say then?

“burn her?”
“I hear the helicopters are hard to fly in fog, maybe it will work itself out?”
“Hope they get bent over in prison?”

They should say, "Give her a ticket"...what they did was illegal even if outside the wilderness boundary (assuming they landed on FS Land).

Not entirely, you can access the wilderness via horse, which requires money most people don't have. Add up the cost to purchase, care for, train, pasture, feed, transport, and equip a horse to access the wilderness, only helicopters are more expensive.
Well, yes. At least with primitive travel you have to be on foot or ride an animal that's on foot. Both have to deal with the flies and skeeters. 😁

sneaky

"DADDY"
Everyone used to own horses and only the rich had cars. Oh how times have changed I guess.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
The low water mark is not the river, it is the clown town commentary that the Constitution and wilderness belongs to "me" and not you. "You" now dissolving to a rich sum bitch who can afford better camo or rifle or a horse over me who only has boots and an old 06. "You" who is judge, jury and a good hanging over me who wants due process to run its course. "You" who flicks labels of rich, entitled, and profess a wish to permanently ruin someone else's life and lively hood, at a bare minimum, over me who looks at you now as a big part of the overall problem, who could care less what you have unless you need a helping hand. Too much hate from jealousy. That will ruin you and our country.

It is not in excusing others mistakes, make a mistake, commit a crime, there are penalties in life. Like the man said, life is hard, it is harder when you are stupid. But it is in proportionate response versus a rush to mob justice. I don't know these people but I do know they have likely worked their ass off to get what they have in spite of others incomprehensible attitude that "it just falls from the sky". And I would venture they didn't pick Montana to conquer, but because they see, and want to preserve, the same beauty we all do.

Let it run its course the right way. And take hard look in the mirror. My two cents worth.

sneaky

"DADDY"
$500 fine? Hell, I know how I'm going in to the wilderness areas now. They try to charge me more I'm going to use this case as precedent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mwebs

WKR
So I guess if I win the loto, I will just pay the $500 fine and think of it as an entrance fee, what a joke.