If youre rifle barrel were bent......

Michael54

WKR
Looking at that picture it seems like you pushed your luck as far as you could. Do you really wanna push it even further shooting a gun with a bent barrel? If i were in your shoes id borrow a gun from a friend or family member and call it a year.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
There you go. No reason the Savage Axis couldn’t get you to 200 yards. What’s the issue with that one?
No real reason other than I'm not a good enough shooter lol. The trigger is the really old heavy one. I polished it and replaced springs already but I still yank it pretty often. TBH, the biggest reason is I flinch in fear of recoil. It's chambered in .30-06 and kicks the ever living daylights put of me. I put on a clamp on muzzle break from Witt machine and that helps me get to 5-10 shots before I can't take it anymore. In the long run, I also have issues with the stock being so flimsy it touches the barrel when loading the bipod to one side like I'm on a hill.

I got into a nasty horse wreck a number of years on an icey slope. The result was all the wooden parts shattered on my BAR. In addition was a 15 degree bend in the barrel. On my way home I dropped my rifle off at my gunsmith knowing it was going to take a while to rebuild it. Two months later I got it back in original condition.

He straightened the barrel to .5 moa. It has killed 25 elk with no misses since then. It might be a consideration.

Wapiti1

WKR
Find a smith to straighten it. Or do it yourself. You need a straight edge, dial indicator and shop press. Use the straight edge to find the bend, mark it's center and press that spot until the indicator reads below 0.005" runout. The bend is probably in the upper third of the barrel toward the muzzle. Block it on either side of the bend to just work that portion of the barrel. The straight edge will tell you how far apart to block it.

I've also seen them straightened by finding the center of the bend and swinging the barrel onto a lead shot bag. That's an old school way to do it.

All that said, it isn't unsafe to shoot. You have to have a severe bend to cause an issue. Something like a true kink. A gradual bend won't cause issues.

Jeremy

Weldor

WKR
Find a smith to straighten it. Or do it yourself. You need a straight edge, dial indicator and shop press. Use the straight edge to find the bend, mark it's center and press that spot until the indicator reads below 0.005" runout. The bend is probably in the upper third of the barrel toward the muzzle. Block it on either side of the bend to just work that portion of the barrel. The straight edge will tell you how far apart to block it.

I've also seen them straightened by finding the center of the bend and swinging the barrel onto a lead shot bag. That's an old school way to do it.

All that said, it isn't unsafe to shoot. You have to have a severe bend to cause an issue. Something like a true kink. A gradual bend won't cause issues.

Jeremy
Friend had his rifle slide out to passenger side of his side x side, hit the side if a trail and bent it good. had a smith in Flagstaff straighten it. Still hunts with it today.

Maverick1

WKR
No real reason other than I'm not a good enough shooter lol. The trigger is the really old heavy one. I polished it and replaced springs already but I still yank it pretty often. TBH, the biggest reason is I flinch in fear of recoil. It's chambered in .30-06 and kicks the ever living daylights put of me. I put on a clamp on muzzle break from Witt machine and that helps me get to 5-10 shots before I can't take it anymore. In the long run, I also have issues with the stock being so flimsy it touches the barrel when loading the bipod to one side like I'm on a hill.
Try some reduced recoil rounds in your 30-06. Better than pushing your luck shooting through a bent barrel. That sounds like a really bad idea.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely don’t shoot the rifle. You are taking a huge risk shooting a rifle in that condition. Chalk it up as a loss. Ideally borrow a rifle from a buddy, otherwise find a decent used rifle/scope until you can fund something better.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I think I'm taking it to my gun Smith. If he can chop it to 16" then I'll go that route since it's dedicated suppressed. Otherwise, looks like I'm starting on my AR 10 hunting build early.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
I got into a nasty horse wreck a number of years on an icey slope. The result was all the wooden parts shattered on my BAR. In addition was a 15 degree bend in the barrel. On my way home I dropped my rifle off at my gunsmith knowing it was going to take a while to rebuild it. Two months later I got it back in original condition.

He straightened the barrel to .5 moa. It has killed 25 elk with no misses since then. It might be a consideration.
That's crazy impressive your gun Smith could do that. Did he tell you how?

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Well, new update. I ordered an AR 10 and am assembling it today. I was planning on switching to one anyway. It just came earlier than expected. Ruger said they'll replace the barrel on the original rifle for $80. When I don't flinch while shooting the savage axis, I can shoot just under MOA with 150gr Remington corelokt. Because of the flinching, I'm limiting myself to 100 yards and under.

Now, if I can just convince my wife who is a Dr. That it's OK for me to go hunting with 3 pins hanging out of the front of my finger lol. I think I got her to compromise due to the cold weather, promise I'll clean multiple times a day, saying I'll only be out there for 3 days of hunting, and promising not to use my hand to gut the deer.

madcalfe

WKR
can you not replace both gun through your house insurance?
I know if something happens when I'm jet boating my insurance on the boat will cover the boat itself and some gear and then the remaining I can get covered under house my house insurance policy.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
can you not replace both gun through your house insurance?
I know if something happens when I'm jet boating my insurance on the boat will cover the boat itself and some gear and then the remaining I can get covered under house my house insurance policy.
I technically could do something similar, however, the rifle was like $550 new ($80 to fix) and the shotgun was $450 so, it's not worth making a claim for something that's under the deductible and then paying more in premiums.

rayporter

WKR
you guys worry way too much.
220px-G3_and_StG44.jpg
there has been several of these made by different manufacturers.